Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas in the Great State of New York

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night, while the kids slept and the wife watched HBO's medieval series on beheadings - I started poking around NY's registration data. I put together a post on it (link below), but thought I'd share a few images from that data here. I think the last time I posted here was when I wrote the article about Tesla crossing the chasm.

Story link: Data Shows Tesla Dominates New York EV Market | DCCarGeek

Tesla-7-NEW.png

Tesla-1.png

Tesla-2.png

51% of all-electric passenger vehicles registered in NY State are Teslas

Juan Barnett, @DCCarGeek, looked at the vehicle registration data from New York State and filtered it for Tesla registrations.

He reports some interesting analysis including:
Tesla vehicles make up 51% of all electric passenger vehicles registered in the State of New York.
On average, 3.4 new Tesla vehicles are registered everyday in the State of New York.
Blue, gray and black, in that order, are the most popular colors for Teslas in New York.

See the graphs in the article here. Data Shows Tesla Dominates New York EV Market

Lanny

I did remove the commercial and low speed vehicles as I wanted the population of vehicles to be as focused on traditional passenger vehicles as possible. NY has some strange nomenclature that is uses for vehicle types. While most of the Tesla vehicles were tagged PAS for passenger car some he special tags indicating a medical plate or vanity plates. Fun little evening project though.

Curious if the data comes directly from TXDMV. I really like looking at the entire vehicle population for a state as it can paint a very interesting picture.
Why don't you contact the presenter to find out her data source?

It was painful to see that pie chart of EVs that got the state incentives, without a Model S slice. I hope the presenter explained why the most prominent EV car manufacturer isn't on that chart.