Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's installers removed my sunrun solar meters - Tesla not responding

Kendrer94941

Oct 10, 2020
Mill Valley, Ca
So happy to have our Powerwall! It's been working great. We opted to void our SunRun warranty since SunRun had no options for us to add backup power to our 5 year old solar panels. The system works great now, we had one 24-hour power outage a few days after installation and it worked seamlessly.

The problem: SunRun came out to inspect last week because they weren't getting any readings on their meters - when the guy got here he told me that the installers REMOVED two boxes from the side of our house that were SunRun's meters! Obviously they are not needed to run the system as it is set up now, however our solar system is LEASED, and I'm worried that SunRun will opt to somehow shut off our system since the installers took their equipment and left with it (I'm sure they just disposed of it).

I called the Tesla inspector, and my Tesla Sales agent, and neither are responding to me. Has anyone had this happen? Any ideas who to call? It doesn't surprise me that Tesla isn't responding, because they installed and are on to the next customer.

Thanks

gpez

Apr 25, 2019
USA
Best of luck with this issue, I imagine it's going to be a bit messy especially if Tesla did dump or recycle the boxes.

This is one of the challenges with leasing systems :(

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
So happy to have our Powerwall! It's been working great. We opted to void our SunRun warranty since SunRun had no options for us to add backup power to our 5 year old solar panels. The system works great now, we had one 24-hour power outage a few days after installation and it worked seamlessly.

The problem: SunRun came out to inspect last week because they weren't getting any readings on their meters - when the guy got here he told me that the installers REMOVED two boxes from the side of our house that were SunRun's meters! Obviously they are not needed to run the system as it is set up now, however our solar system is LEASED, and I'm worried that SunRun will opt to somehow shut off our system since the installers took their equipment and left with it (I'm sure they just disposed of it).

I called the Tesla inspector, and my Tesla Sales agent, and neither are responding to me. Has anyone had this happen? Any ideas who to call? It doesn't surprise me that Tesla isn't responding, because they installed and are on to the next customer.

Thanks

You voided a warranty on a system you are leasing? Sounds like you could get into a lot of trouble. I could see them removing THEIR panels, since clearly they are not yours.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
OP as others mention there is something strange about what you are saying. The "we opted to void sunrun's warranty" part is strange, because on a leased system, the person who owns the system (whoever you are leasing it from) normally provides and requires that you maintain some sort of coverage.

I have a leased PV system as well, except mine is from solar city (now tesla). My PV was installed in 2015 and I also just added powerwalls this year. You are likely in for a pretty messy situation. Its highly unlikely the tesla installers still have the equipment they removed, and its unlikely they will be willing to get it from tesla.

You likely will have to do some legwork to understand what that equipment is, and what sunrun would charge to put it, or the equivalent back, and then try to get tesla to pay for that.... but I certainly dont envy you on trying to navigate this.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC