Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s Latest Software Release Includes Safety, Performance Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla released its latest software update (2020.32.1), which includes a number of safety and performance improvements.

Tesla is now offering “Dynamic Brake Lights” in new markets after releasing the feature to Europe in March 2019. Unfortunately, the functionality will likely not be available in the United States for some time. Government regulations indicate that brake lights are only allowed to glow brighter than taillights to indicate braking.

Tesla describes the feature: “If you are driving over 50 km/h (31 mph) and brake forcefully, the brake lights will now flash quickly to warn other drivers that your car is rapidly slowing down,” Tesla said in the release notes. “If your car stops completely, the hazard warning lights will flash until you press the accelerator or manually press the hazard warning lights button to turn them off.”

A new “Tesla Powerwall Coordination” feature coordinates with Powerwall for “enhanced charging during a power outage, without exceeding the energy and power capabilities of your Powerwall system.” Powerwall continuously responds to the changing power needs of your home and will slow or stop your car’s charging, keeping your home loads powered.

During a power outage, your car will charge from the Powerwall whenever the Powerwall is above the threshold set in the Tesla mobile app. You can change this threshold to balance your home and transportation energy needs. Powerwall can also use surplus solar to charge your vehicle during an outage if you keep your car plugged in while the sun is shining.

Tesla also released some interesting suspension improvements. The car now offers a real-time visualization of how the suspension system is dynamically adjusting each wheel’s damping to account for changing road conditions. 

Adaptive Suspension Damping now has an “Advanced” setting that allows drivers to set custom levels of ride comfort and handling in addition to the existing Comfort, Auto, and Sport settings.

Tesla said in the release notes:

We have simplified the Tesla suspension control logic to better support both temporary and more permanent heights. If Ride Height is manually adjusted to High or Very High, your car now automatically lowers after you drive a short distance. For snowy or off-road conditions, tap “Keep” next to the Ride Height slider to keep the height at High or Very High until you reach the maximum allowed speed. For steep driveways or places where you repeatedly need a higher ride height, tap “Always Auto-Raise at this Location.” This feature will raise suspension to the saved height when re-entering the location.Finally, the suspension system now automatically adjusts between Standard and Low ride heights to optimize ride comfort and range, depending on road type. If you prefer your car to remain lower to the ground, enable “Default Ride Height to Low.”

Other new features include a mobile notification if the trunk, the front trunk, or any door is left open for over ten minutes. If all doors and trunks are locked, a notification will be sent if any window is detected to be open ten minutes after leaving the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla released its latest software update (2020.32.1), which includes a number of safety and performance improvements. Tesla is now offering “Dynamic Brake Lights” in new markets after releasing the feature to Europe in March 2019. Unfortunately, the functionality will likely not be available in the United States for some time. Government regulations indicate that brake...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/08/10/teslas-latest-software-release-includes-safety-performance-features/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
I have a 2018 M3 and just got update 2020.28.6 two days ago. The only thing new in that one was the ability to use the Polish language!

Dynamic Brake Lights... weird. I read somewhere this (flashing break lights) was illegal in US...hopefully we have it up north :)

I see them all over the place here in California.

CA VEH 25251.5: "Any stoplamp or supplemental stoplamp required or permitted by Section 24603 may be equipped so as to flash not more than four times within the first four seconds after actuation by application of the brakes."

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
New and proud owner of a late 2017 MS75 Blue (no D but with paid FSD, so I found my personal sweet spot!). Totally love it but that's for another thread. Got the AP 3.0 upgrade 3 weeks ago (stuck with MCU 1 for now) and was just prompted to install 2020.32.1. It's installing so I can't report on the updates yet but I can't find any reference to this version. Anybody been prompted to install this yet? Thanks.
Great to see other 2017 MS75 FSD (HW3) MCU1 owners posting! I love our choice, fun practical sensible, I love driving it every day. I got the 2020 32.1 download, and I still listen to FM. 20200429_134737.jpg

So not just the new Adaptive suspension but all Smart Air Suspension equipped S/X will get some suspension improvements? Or just MCU2 and newer?
May be it's not the same kind of improvements between Raven S/X or non Raven S/X ("Verbesserungen der Federung")

Suspension-Improv-01.jpeg Suspension-Improv-02.jpeg

The text talks about simplifying the Smart Air Suspension" handling with more automatic settings (e.g. low and high speed settings and geo reference setup). The setup screen also changed.

• Informative
Reactions: BigNick
Tesla released its latest software update (2020.32.1), which includes a number of safety and performance improvements. Tesla is now offering “Dynamic Brake Lights” in new markets after releasing the feature to Europe in March 2019. Unfortunately, the functionality will likely not be available in the United States for some time. Government regulations indicate that brake...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/08/10/teslas-latest-software-release-includes-safety-performance-features/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Speaking of a performance enhancement. about 3 weeks ago I had a software update for suspension enhancements update on my 2015 - Model S with 100K miles. The next morning after the update (six hours since I last drove it with no issues) my car was lowered to about 2 inches from the ground with no air in the suspension at all. It took me a week to get my car into service and now it has been in service for 2 weeks (without my car for 3 weeks now) It seems like every time they say the car will be ready or is running a "safety check" they come back and tell me they found a new problem. I fel like they are just shotgunning the repair and throwing parts at the car in hopes of fixing the issue. How can all these mechanical issue with the suspension all happen 6 hours after a software update? Here is the list of items they have replaced.

• Air Suspension Solenoid - $432 (part is $325) The next day I was told I also needed...
  • Air Suspension Primary line Assy - $916 (part is $175) days later I was told there was Harness problem
  • Harness Logic HV Junction box - $97.50 Still not done.... They then came back days later and told me I needed
  • Active Suspension ECU Processor - $555.25 (Part $370) then just when I was going to get the car back they told me....
  • New Compressor - $999.25 (Part $775)

Total repair cost $3,039.25

I spoke to the Service Manager who is also the acting regional manager and he gave me a 14.68% discount?

How can all this be needed after a simple software update? Has anyone seen anything like this? Any suggestions? I reached out to Jerome Guillen the President of Tesla Automotive. He used to be the VP of WW Service. I will let you know what happens.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Speaking of a performance enhancement. about 3 weeks ago I had a software update for suspension enhancements update on my 2015 - Model S with 100K miles. The next morning after the update (six hours since I last drove it with no issues) my car was lowered to about 2 inches from the ground with no air in the suspension at all. It took me a week to get my car into service and now it has been in service for 2 weeks (without my car for 3 weeks now) It seems like every time they say the car will be ready or is running a "safety check" they come back and tell me they found a new problem. I fel like they are just shotgunning the repair and throwing parts at the car in hopes of fixing the issue. How can all these mechanical issue with the suspension all happen 6 hours after a software update? Here is the list of items they have replaced.

• Air Suspension Solenoid - $432 (part is $325) The next day I was told I also needed...
  • Air Suspension Primary line Assy - $916 (part is $175) days later I was told there was Harness problem
  • Harness Logic HV Junction box - $97.50 Still not done.... They then came back days later and told me I needed
  • Active Suspension ECU Processor - $555.25 (Part $370) then just when I was going to get the car back they told me....

I spoke to the Service Manager who is also the acting regional manager and he gave me a 14.68% discount?

How can all this be needed after a simple software update? Has anyone seen anything like this? Any suggestions? I reached out to Jerome Guillen the President of Tesla Automotive. He used to be the VP of WW Service. I will let you know what happens.

A. Further evidence that it’s suicidal to keep a Tesla out of warranty

B. I’ve never seen a dealership that makes you pay for the parts that didn’t solve the problem. If “part A” doesn’t solve it, put your old part back and move on. Or learn to be better at troubleshooting. Or both.

I’d fight that. Poor troubleshooting skills. No way that all those parts failed at once.