Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's map traffic crowdsourcing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

haroldo

Apr 20, 2021
NJ
(getting car this weekend)

I mainly use Apple Maps, rarely Waze (I prefer Apple's "take the second left" or "after the traffic light, make a left" over Waze's "make a left in 800 feet"). I never Google (don't trust them).

I could be wrong about the technology, but believe each generate routing suggestions based on data from their own user networks. As such, mapping traffic conditions are conditioned on having a large number of users in an area.

Does Tesla's maps rely on their own internal network (which would be a tiny fraction of GPS data points generated by the other networks) or do they get data from shared networks? If so, are they subject to time lags?

Translation...where does Tesla maps get their traffic information and how timely has it been (compared to the other maps)?

I realize none of the mapping services are perfect and each suggest boneheaded directions, at times.

I know where I'm going 99.9% of the time, the only need for mapping is to alert traffic conditions (and the occasional👮‍♂️🚓) .

Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC
I mainly use Apple Maps, rarely Waze (I prefer Apple's "take the second left" or "after the traffic light, make a left" over Waze's "make a left in 800 feet"). I never Google (don't trust them). I could be wrong about the technology, but believe each generate routing suggestions based on data from their own user networks. As such, mapping traffic conditions are conditioned on having a large number of users in an area.

I know where I'm going 99.9% of the time, the only need for mapping is to alert traffic conditions (and the occasional👮‍♂️🚓) .

Thanks!
Try the TeslaWaze app on your main screen browser... excellent for awareness of traffic, police, and construction/road hazards.

1624998198681.png

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and haroldo