TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla's Million Mile Battery technology around the corner.

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by AzorAhai, Feb 12, 2020.

?

Would you buy a New Tech Battery Pack from Tesla if they offered it? If so how much would you pay?

1. Yes I'll buy it I'll pay USD $15,000 +

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. Yes I'll Buy but only spend $10,000 Max

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  3. No I wouldn't buy it.

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. AzorAhai

AzorAhai Member

Tesla’s New Lithium-Ion Patent Brings Company Closer to Promised 1 Million-Mile Battery

So with this new technology seemingly around the corner, And the the older Batteries being seemingly being a nuisance to Tesla and disgruntled owners who are upset at the Batteries capacities and charged performance being Nuked in updates the past year.

What are the chances that Tesla charges to have these new batteries retrofitted onto your existing Pre-Raven Model S.

The battery packs have in the past being replaced under Warranty to higher capacity packs without much change or modification to the other components of the car. This Modularity was once a envisioned fast charging solution where you would have your battery packs replaced within minutes to "Fast Charge"

The new battery packs will Improve Efficiency, Energy Density, and quadruple the Life Cycles of the existing Li-Ion battery packs.

Would you pay $10,000 (Rough Estimate) to buy a new Tech Battery pack to upgrade your Battery and range to 400 Miles?

2. SageBrush

SageBrush REJECT Fascism

I stopped reading there

• Love x 2
  3. webbah

webbah Member

I think you are far short of what they might charge for such an upgrade if they even do. Take the Roadster 3.0 upgrade, for example, that costs $29,000.

• Like x 1
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush REJECT Fascism

For a hand-built battery, produced at a rate of 2 - 5 a week, installed by hand over a couple of days at a local service center after transport from Fremont.

You might as well extrapolate the cost of a Ford Focus based on the cost of a Lambo

• Like x 1
  5. webbah

webbah Member

All true, however I stand by my point that I seriously doubt you will manage this upgrade for $10K.

• Like x 1
  6. SageBrush

SageBrush REJECT Fascism

Your point mentioned $29k, now I see you are re-positioning at $10k.

Good movement of the goal-posts; reduction of $250 per kWh in one post. Even Tesla does not innovate that fast.

• Disagree x 2
  7. AzorAhai

AzorAhai Member

I've seen estimates in 2019 of 14K to 18K for Tesla to replace. The assumption is that the Cost to produce the batteries is going to continue to go down.

And My initial price targets are coming from the man himself...

Tesla Puts Price on Model 3 Battery Module Replacement Around $5000-$7000

8. webbah

webbah Member

I didn’t move any goal posts. I made a reference to an available price for the Roadster upgrade, and mentioned that I think you are quite a bit off on your estimate of $10K. I stand by that.

• Like x 1
  9. SageBrush

SageBrush REJECT Fascism

$5k - 7k, depending on how many modules require replacement.
    IIRC the Model 3 has three modules.

10. webbah

webbah Member

There are multiple battery modules to complete an entire pack.

11. webbah

webbah Member

Et voila, 3 modules at 5-7K each would be 15-21K. 50-100% higher than 10K.

• Like x 1
  12. AzorAhai

AzorAhai Member

OK I've adjusted the targets in the Poll, But the Question still stands, For us Pre-HW3 Model S /X owners who are having their range and Supercharging speeds throttled, Tesla is doing that to prolong Battery life and ensure that these batteries last through the Warranty period.

As the first 2012 Model S start expiring on their Battery/ Power-train Warranties, there has to be a market for "refreshed" battery technology that remove the unwanted Charging throttling and increase the Range of their cars even above the original purchased range.

With so many different battery technologies out there, What is stopping companies from taking their own battery technology and creating battery alternatives to Tesla. The patents are open source. Other companies could theoretically make Tesla Battery packs that would work in the car because everything that is required to make them work are available for any manufacturer to see.

A Spanish company develops a battery with an autonomy of 800 kilometers | Graphenano Nanotechnologies

Imagine the aftermarket capabilities.

And hell if an aftermarket company comes out with a better solution than what Tesla did on their own, Tesla will surely buy them out and make their solution their own.

13. T.R.T.e.s.l.a.

If this would come real in not a looooooong time, i would certainly pay up to 10.000 to put a 800 km range battery on my S85.

14. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

didn't tesla just update their warranty 2 weeks ago and get rid of the unlimited miles? now they limit battery warranty on new cars to 150k miles. so much for that million miles...

15. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C