Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's "Model X Update" Email on June 16, 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not think there is a reveal here; the pictures are not new. [ignore this part. thanks ItsNotAboutTheMoney, I was too excited when I read the email]I am a little concerned about the implication that having third row seating would obviate the ability to have a flat area behind the front row seats if desired. I would even accept the option to temporarily remove the third bench row seats and I would expect them to do better than an either/or option when it comes to SUV/utility choices.[/ignore]

Last edited:
Wondering what the falcon wing doors do to limit the size or even the availability of a sunroof in the X, at least over the front two seats. I would much rather have a nice big sunroof than the falcon wing doors but I'm prolly in the minority around these parts.

Also wondering if the X will come with optional DVD/Blu-Ray screen(s) either in the backs of the front seats, or drop-down from ceiling, for the viewing pleasure of passengers seated in 2nd, 3rd rows on long trips. (Why stop at DVD/Blu-ray; maybe they'll offer streaming video over LTE...)

Also wondering if the X will come with optional DVD/Blu-Ray screen(s) either in the backs of the front seats, or drop-down from ceiling, for the viewing pleasure of passengers seated in 2nd, 3rd rows on long trips. (Why stop at DVD/Blu-ray; maybe they'll offer streaming video over LTE...)
I doubt they'll do video screens. They get out of date fast, and don't easily play the content you already have on tablets.

I actually switched my Model X reservation to Model S in early 2013. Primarily because at that time the 3rd row seats were not optional. Because the rack solution with the falcon doors was hinted at with no solutions committed, and finally because of the deployment delay. The result is that I've put 28K miles on my model S, fitted it with a roof box with Whisbar rack system. Absolutely no regrets. Even after a year driving the Model S is a thrill every time. For me the perfect car would be an AWD model S.

I think we have all expected 2015 for a while, but I was also surprised by the third row being optional.

Can't help but wonder if they are making the third row optional to down play the loss of roof rack functionality, something like "for those wanting more storage, we are making the third row optional". on the other hand, since they are straight up saying they are combining sport utility functionality with sport car performance, I feel slightly optimistic. I don't see how they could say that with a straight face without offering a roof rack work around ... I would really like to hear how they are going to propose that, right about now.

I do not think there is a reveal here; the pictures are not new. I am a little concerned about the implication that having third row seating would obviate the ability to have a flat area behind the front row seats if desired. I would even accept the option to temporarily remove the third bench row seats and I would expect them to do better than an either/or option when it comes to SUV/utility choices.

From the email it just assure that the 2nd and 3rd row seats fold flat, which is sometimes a problem. It doesn't say what happens without the 3rd row and I would assume that you can choose between flat+cubby or "van".

Despite some people's uncertainty about the Falcon doors, I strongly believe they will help sell more of them vs. the number of people they might lose because of them.

I also think they will release a roof rack capability--perhaps one door will stay closed and only the other side will open. (After all, most people rarely use roof racks for hauling stuff around).

people rarely need an 85 KW battery and yet it's the most popular option. People don't purchase based on common or average need, they buy for the capacity that covers all or nearly all of their needs. you can put a roof rack on practically any car and SUV, being locked out of the possibility will be a restriction virtually unique to the X amongst nearly all vehicles on the road today. fingers crossed that they are not overlooking this stark reality and have some kind of ingenious solution up their sleeve that they are holding back on announcing just to keep us guessing vs not wanting to admit they have no solution. If they truly have no solution that will allow at least two kayaks on top, we'll be very hard pressed to remain reservation holders. come on Tesla, show us what ya got for the roof rack!

Remember that we have no idea, really, what the second row seats will look like. In another thread someone bumped into an employee of the seat manufacturer and he said the second row seats would swivel. That might imply captains chairs and only two seats in the second row. Or not. We really don't know.

Third row as optional is definitely a disappointment.

I don't know one other luxury SUV/CUV in this class that makes the third row optional. It's literally unheard of.

Don't want them? Fine, offer a delete option. But charging extra for a major component of the vehicle feels dishonest to me. Just admit that the price for the car went up instead of removing what should be standard equipment.

Tesla will have 1 (one) AWD vehicle, so it makes sense that the 3rd row be an additional option, especially since it really will cost more to have seats. It's also logical considering that by segment size, CUV/small SUV >> mid-size SUV >> large SUV.

well, gimme an example of an SUV/CUV of this class that makes the 3rd row optional? GL? Escalade? Even the LX has standard (but useless) 3rd row!! :)

What does that matter? Why does everything have to be the same? Do all the SUV/CUVs in this class have exactly the same options? Is AWD standard in all of them? Do they all come with electric drive?

Order the third row if you need it. I don't. We'll both be happy.

Love those wheels, the CF blades are very cool; just hope that Tesla sticks with them.

I watched last year as someone at Teslive stuck their foot past the rope and knocked the CF accents off the front left wheel of the prototype... not sure I like the idea of them being on there if they're that fragile. Hopefully they'd fix that.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know one other luxury SUV/CUV in this class that makes the third row optional. It's literally unheard of.

I disagree, my wife drives one today.

Well, lets face it, that email has created more questions than answers. It was however nice to get an official update, and in my opinion they probably should do so quarterly or semi-annually, even if there is no new information, but just to say...'hey we are thinking of you, (reservation holders) and appreciate your support".

Personally I rather a car be "optioned" out, so you can pay for what you need, but do like options packaged with a sort of buy a bunch get a discount. The counterpoint to this however is a company like Porsche where nearly everything becomes an option, and you can easily add 30 000 in options without blinking. I would not like to see Tesla do that, as it becomes ridiculous.