Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's "Model X Update" Email on June 16, 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this in the 'Model X reservation tally' thread as well. It is a post from an 'X' thread over at the TM forum. I can not confirm authenticating:

Here's what I got from Tesla 10 days ago after complaining that the website lacks detail re:Model X and is out of date.
"We will begin production and deliveries of the Model X at the end of this year. Closer to that time, we will make the vehicles available in our showrooms for our fans to see in person and will have specifications regarding options, configurations, pricing and other details such as the ones your requested. Later this year you will receive an email inviting you to sign into your MyTesla Account to begin configuring your Model X, at which time we will have pricing of Model X and its options, along with details such as the ones you requested made available."
OK. I'll wait. One cool thing though. Tesla will have a store in a new mall that is being built nearby. As I am retired and have nothing better to do while waiting for my MX, I think I'll just hang out there as a "fan" after they open in October and bug them until they kick me out. :))

EDIT: Realize this is a copy of a post from the TM forum by another forum member and while I want to believe it I pass it along as an FYI only.

Last edited:
image.jpg

My brother told me, "when there is a pickup truck, I'm all in."

(I'll get one of those too)

I'm looking forward to walking into a Tesla store and seeing multiple models on display, instead of just one. That will be exciting ... and it's not too far away.

Yes, it's be great to see a Model S and X in tesla stores. Can't wait.

Bonnie, what's your guess on when reservation holders might be able to do a test drive?

Yes, it's be great to see a Model S and X in tesla stores. Can't wait.

Bonnie, what's your guess on when reservation holders might be able to do a test drive?

I'd bet there won't be an X drive event until late spring. They will need to first get crash testing done & prove road worthiness, iirc, before letting customers drive. Until then, we'll have to settle for the passenger seat.

Just a guess. I have no actual information.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm relatively sure that the very first time I drive an X will be when I get behind the wheel of mine. I can't imagine the drive event will happen that early in the Signature delivery timeline.

I'd bet there won't be an X drive event until late spring. They will need to first get crash testing done & prove road worthiness, iirc, before letting customers drive. Until then, we'll have to settle for the passenger seat.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm relatively sure that the very first time I drive an X will be when I get behind the wheel of mine. I can't imagine the drive event will happen that early in the Signature delivery timeline.
I'm hoping I can get delivery at the Factory with the first US signature batch. Fingers crossed!

- - - Updated - - -

Spring? If they start production is early 2015, that stuff will need to be done before spring. If it's like the Model S, the first test drives will start the day after the first deliveries.

For the Model S, which was released in June of 2012, there was a Beta event in October 2011 where a Tesla staffer gave test rides (not drives). That equates to about eight months before release. I think it's logical to expect less than an eight month difference this time around between Beta to production. I'm hoping that they do a Beta event in the Fall and then still release Sigs in early 2015 (Jan or Feb).

Spring? If they start production is early 2015, that stuff will need to be done before spring. If it's like the Model S, the first test drives will start the day after the first deliveries.

Right. That stuff does need to be done before the first test drive. So again, I think late spring, giving time for all 'that stuff' to be done. Test drives and first deliveries will all happen on top of each other. And that's why I said I probably won't get to drive an X before I take delivery of my own. (Sig #2)

Right. That stuff does need to be done before the first test drive. So again, I think late spring, giving time for all 'that stuff' to be done. Test drives and first deliveries will all happen on top of each other. And that's why I said I probably won't get to drive an X before I take delivery of my own. (Sig #2)

I agree that you won't get to test drive before delivery, given your sequence number. But my point is late spring would seem to put them behind the schedule in their email.