Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's new FSD patent to optimize image processing for deep learning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the end of the day it's just another SW Patent which typically is a patent on obvious things. I'm sure you've dealt with the Head of IP asking people to think of anything that can be protected. Where the patent is mostly defensive posturing. Where you try to line up your patents with a competitors patent in some kind of Cold War like stand off. So they're often about extremely trivial things, and probably won't hold up to scrutiny.
People who are not familiar with how this works often think that a patent is proof of some brilliant invention. In reality, 90% of patents are fluff that is used to for defensive purposes and to pad patent portfolios. It's often just a numbers game. In licensing negotiations the height of the stack of patents determines who gets the better deal. ;)

I think he is referring to the Teslarati article where I got the patent link from. I linked to the Teslarati article at the bottom of my post.
Tesla's new data pipeline and deep learning patent paves way for quicker autonomous driving improvements

Haha, that just shows how good I am at ignoring fluff. So good that I didn't even realize you posted the link to the number one Tesla fluff site despite the link being right there.

Anyways after reading the article I think the author did a great job fluffing. The author definitely deserves a referral or two for the article.

But, it's not reflective of Tesla fans and certainly not fans on this subsection of TMC.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
This from Teslarati sounds like it’s just hype (my emphasis):

"The idea behind the patent is to revolutionize and improve upon past deep learning systems that have been used for autonomous driving vehicles.”
:rolleyes:

It's really quite remarkable how much more Teslarati hyped the patent than Electrek.
Tesla patents data pipeline and deep learning system for autonomous driving - Electrek

The electrek article also talked about how 2 of the 3 inventors are no longer with Tesla.

Reactions: strangecosmos2