Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's new Lathrop, CA facility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes Lathrop. For peak shaving to reduce demand charges from the utility provider. They are getting close to firing up the expansion which will be power hungry and this addition makes sense to help Tesla control their utility cost and potentially enough power to avoid power outages. It would be interesting to know how it is sized for power and capacity but I doubt we'll ever know the details of the design. I've not seen evidence of solar but I can't see the roof. It would make some sense for this as well but I don't know if this is happening.

Im also not 100% certain these are Tesla battery power packs but all evidence points to this. We'll know more when the unwrap all the boxes.

I've been tracking the progress on the utility entrance at the Tesla factory There has been a lot of groundwork and you could tell they were preparing for what I believe was going to be a installation of the battery power packs. After the groundwork I noticed a conduit stub ups which led me to believe even more that they were preparing for it. Today driving southbound on I-5 I drove by and saw delivery trucks with what appeared to be maybe a dozen power packs getting offloaded.

Stalkers can be awesome. :biggrin:

Ok, well I was hoping to get one of those fancy helicopters for Christmas, or at least one of my friends get one. Well, no luck. Its really hard to get a good shot of these PowerPacks from the street. Its just a bit too far. I tried to get a shot from the freeway which is slightly elevated, but its hard to take a picture when going past at 70mph. The other day I got caught in a traffic jam going past and got the best shot I could...still not very good, but you can see them. It looks like 4 rows of 6 or 8 packs. Perhaps I should talk to DaveT and see if I can get a press pass to go inside and talk to someone about these and get some information (that would be fun).

Last edited by a moderator:
Im also not 100% certain these are Tesla battery power packs but all evidence points to this. We'll know more when the unwrap all the boxes.

I drove by on Friday, 2/5, and they are definitely powerpacks. They were unwrapped and guys were there with a forklift setting them into place. I went by too fast for pictures or counting, but I am guessing at least a few MWhrs.

I drove by on Friday, 2/5, and they are definitely powerpacks. They were unwrapped and guys were there with a forklift setting them into place. I went by too fast for pictures or counting, but I am guessing at least a few MWhrs.

I also drove past on Friday and noticed that they were adding additional packs. I guess the original was not big enough, or they just had to wait for more to be built before adding these last few. I am hoping they mention it in the upcoming quarterly report.

Hey, I did not need to get a fancy camera to find a great photo of the Lathrop power system. Just wait until the photo shows up on Electrek.

tesla-powerpack-7.jpg

This is definitely a shot of the Lathrop site power system (even though the article does not credit the photo nor mention the Lathrop Tesla facilty).

Tesla starts to deliver ‘first grid-scale Powerpack system’ in Europe

Tesla is expanding greatly in the Lathrop, California area. Tesla currently has more than 2,600,000 square feet of space in the area with more facilities possible to the south.

See the below map in Google Maps inspired (sourced) by the following commercial listing. Red are Tesla owned/leased parcels for manufacturing, storage, and distribution. Yellow are temporary leased parcels. Click shapes to see reference links.

In recognition of Tesla's contribution to the local community, the City of Lathrop is in the process of renaming Nestle Way into Tesla Drive (green on the map) and will have a Tesla Model 3 as a police car.

Capture-MAP.JPG

Note: Post is added here instead of creating a new thread.