Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's new Strategy?!?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It might be service-related. Right now, Tesla's service/warranty plans are a mess. The factory warranty requires annual service. Annual service is surprisingly expensive for an EV. The extended warranty may or may not require annual service. Annual service can be pre-bought for 4 years, and there's the ranger portion. There's a separate battery guarantee plan. There's even a separate tire and wheel warranty.

If I were a guessing man (and I am), I'd guess that Tesla will reduce the price of service for the first 4 years and might even waive it completely for the term of the warranty. Tesla owners would love that.

Another possibility is that given that many Toyota dealers are now capable of servicing RAV4-EVs with Tesla drivetrains, those dealers will also be capable of servicing Tesla Model S's. That would make servicing more convenient for Tesla owners.

Another possibility is that given that many Toyota dealers are now capable of servicing RAV4-EVs with Tesla drivetrains, those dealers will also be capable of servicing Tesla Model S's. That would make servicing more convenient for Tesla owners.

That's a Californians "view" of the situation. The RAV4EV is not sold outside of CA, therefore no dealers in the "other" states can service Tesla drive trains (yet). Now if he announces that they've convinced Toyota to sell the RAV4EV (which they have to heavily discount to sell) in other states, that would be a possibility... But given they (Toyota) has to have massive $5,000 incentives to even sell the "Plug in Prius" in other states, I doubt it.

How about free "at home" charging for life of the vehicle? That would be a strategy I would like. :)

Telsa/Solar City installs solar panels at an optimal location and puts the energy back into the grid when demand is high during the day, owners charge at night when grid costs are lower. Day vs night pricing arbitrage pays for the cost of the panel installation. They know when you charge, how much energy the car used in charging, etc., so no need for separate metering.

"Free fuel for life, at home and on the road." Now that would sell some cars. :)

It might be service-related. Right now, Tesla's service/warranty plans are a mess. The factory warranty requires annual service. Annual service is surprisingly expensive for an EV. The extended warranty may or may not require annual service. Annual service can be pre-bought for 4 years, and there's the ranger portion. There's a separate battery guarantee plan. There's even a separate tire and wheel warranty.

If I were a guessing man (and I am), I'd guess that Tesla will reduce the price of service for the first 4 years and might even waive it completely for the term of the warranty. Tesla owners would love that.

the Rav4EV is not sold worldwide ... you gotta think globally. the MB Tesla supplied EV will be however so thinking along the same lines gives us servicing at the MB service centers.

How about free "at home" charging for life of the vehicle? That would be a strategy I would like. :)

Telsa/Solar City installs solar panels at an optimal location and puts the energy back into the grid when demand is high during the day, owners charge at night when grid costs are lower. Day vs night pricing arbitrage pays for the cost of the panel installation. They know when you charge, how much energy the car used in charging, etc., so no need for separate metering.

"Free fuel for life, at home and on the road." Now that would sell some cars. :)

Having just paid SC a substantial sum to install panels on my house, this would make me more irritated than happy.

Came across this article on ValueWalk related to this discussion. I had good chuckle at this quote:

Whatever the new strategy the company announces tomorrow is, it’s likely to be a popular one with the company’s fan base. Owners and admirers of the Tesla Model S, and Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA), have become a vocal group in recent months, and Elon Musk, due to his geek credibility and business acumen, has become a sort of Messiah figure.

How about free "at home" charging for life of the vehicle? :)

A lot of people probably think you're crazy, but I think you're pretty close. He said something earlier this month about how they have made significant progress without any word getting out.

I'd say look for complimentary charging stations in neighborhoods and cities in the near future. I, however, don't think they are going to let Daimler come in on this AT ALL. :tongue:

Keep in mind that this is likely not supercharger related. Elon confirmed that this is part 3 of the 5 part trilogy. A quick recap on the 5 parts:

1) TSLA Profitable
2) Lease
3) Service
4) Supercharger
5) Right under your nose

On the one hand, he may have just lost track of which is number 3. On the other hand, he likes making a very big public fuss with all his announcements, and the service-side thing so far was fairly low-key.

You are apparently correct. According to Reuters, "A spokeswoman for the company said Friday's announcement will focus on service."

I had assumed that the previous loaner car announcement was the service announcement.

Last edited:
It's gotta be more than just the 80 loaners. For example, online scheduling of service appt, revamp of how service communication is done etc. if TM can do service better than everyone else, that would be great. I'd love to see service status update of car thru txt message etc.

I hope the announcement has a lot more than that. Otherwise, have to imagine a big letdown and a lot of people saying, if the company feels compelled to make a big to do of what should be standard already, what does that say about its future?

Turtle, since the time of the 5 part trilogy announcement I've been cautiously optimistic that cost of service will be slashed or eliminated. I don't want to raise false hopes, but I still see this as a real possibility.

I won't go through all details again (you can see a post I wrote 4/9), but it makes sense strategically... i.e. in terms of earnings, and retaking the high ground that EVs have far lower maintenance cost than ICE.

It would delight current owners, and it would create greater receptivity to EVs from the general public (well in line with Tesla's fundamental purpose of accelerating the advent of EVs).

I wonder if it has anything to do with the LA Times article about Elon and LA's 405 Freeway:

Elon Musk hates 405 Freeway traffic, offers money to speed widening - latimes.com

- - -
Entrepreneur Elon Musk has already spent $50,000 trying to make the 405 Freeway better – and he’s willing to pay even more.

Musk said he is open to pay the cost of adding workers to the widening project "as a contribution to the city and my own happiness. If it can actually make a difference, I would gladly contribute funds and ideas. I've super had it."

In July, the PayPal and Tesla Motors co-founder met David Murphy, a Westwood resident who heads Angelenos Against Gridlock, a group seeking to hasten the development and repair of infrastructure in California and nationwide. The two shared traffic frustrations, and Musk contributed $50,000 toward an effort to hurry the 405 project along. So far they have little to show for it.

Musk quips that it's easier getting rockets into orbit than navigating his commute between home in Bel-Air and his Space Exploration Technologies factory in Hawthorne.

DISCUSSION: Delays on the 405 widening

"The 405 … varies from bad to horrendous," he told the Los Angeles Times in an interview. "It just seems people in Los Angeles are being tortured by this.… I don't know why they aren't marching in the
streets."

The massive project to widen the 405 Freeway is not only causing traffic nightmares for motorists like Musk but has also been plagued by cost overruns and delays.

Transportation officials say the project is now slated to take at least a year longer than first anticipated and cost about $100 million more than the originally budgeted $1 billion.

The companies handling the work won kudos when they were able to reopen the freeway ahead of schedule during the so-called Carmageddon events in 2011 and 2012. But that masked a larger problem for the main contractor, Kiewit, and the subcontractors.

Officials now aim to complete the bulk of the project by June 2014, with work on the problematic middle segment between Montana Avenue and Sunset Boulevard lasting perhaps until fall 2014, according to Michael Barbour, the veteran engineer overseeing the project for the L.A. County Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

The delays and cost overruns are raising the ire of residents and local officials, who say the project is causing major disruptions throughout the already traffic-clogged Westside.

"This project has been horribly managed," said Zev Yaroslavsky, Los Angeles County supervisor and board member of Metro, which is running the project. "The performance of contractors has left a lot to be desired.… They've shown a complete lack of sensitivity and empathy for the community in which they're doing the work."

Asked why he and other elected officials have not publicly prodded the contractor to enlist more workers and equipment to speed the project, Yaroslavsky said: "Where's the money going to come from? This project is over budget by a considerable amount, and Metro hasn't figured out how it's going to cover the cost overruns, let alone incur additional costs."

Several factors have driven the delays, including the structural failure of miles of new sound walls that had to be demolished and rebuilt, a legal wrangle over the placement of ramps near the Getty Center and the complex logistics of finding and relocating more than a dozen utility lines under Sepulveda Boulevard.

All the while, Kiewit was instructed to keep traffic moving on one of the nation's busiest highways.

Kiewit released a statement Wednesday defending its work.

"The costs and schedule impacts are the result of the project's overall complexity and the significant challenges associated with multiple unexpected utility and right-of-way issues," the firm said. "Kiewit and Metro are committed to working together to minimize future delays and resolve final costs. We ... are committed to delivering the highest-quality product on the I-405 project."

[email protected]
Copyright © 2013, Los Angeles Times

- - -

-- Ardie
I gotta admit - I like his style.