TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Teslas Now Being Delivered with Turn Signal and Cruise Control Stalks Swapped!

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by schneiderjohn, Sep 19, 2014.

1. schneiderjohn

schneiderjohn Member

2. karmamule

karmamule Member

In case people are curious:

15268565926_15d3c762ef.jpg

3. mgdurand

mgdurand Member

Would have been nice!! I'm still trying to rationalize my VW with my Tesla, I guess it's good for flexibility of the nervous system.

4. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I wonder what would normally be where the blanking plate is?

5. MDK

MDK Aussie Member

On the Benz A-class I drove recently it had the controls for the rear wiper there.

6. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

It would be delicious to see a steering wheel heater button there.

Come on Elon!! It might not get cold where you are, but for alot of us, a heated steering wheel is like heaven.

7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

This is a good move IMO, though I've gotten used to the S and was hoping that once the X came I would no longer get confused getting into my wife's car. Looks like that'll continue.

8. Luder94

Luder94 Member

If the connectors and wiring haven't changed, I'd love to attempt a retrofit/replacement of the earlier versions. I may have to look into doing this....all my other cars have the turn signal higher and even after a year with the MS, I still haven't gotten used to the placement.

9. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Presumably the Model X will have this configuration. Looks like I'm going to have to get a new Model S to keep things consistent with our future Model X. ;-)

10. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I really don't follow why this is such an issue for some people. Unless things have changed most Japanese cars have the stalks reversed, do I'd think toggling between a Japanese car and then a US or German car would be more of a chore. Our other car is an Audi, and I have no issue moving between the two cars, at least from the stalks point of view. Remembering to turn off the engine and look the car is a whole different matter!

11. schneiderjohn

schneiderjohn Member

Congrats on the delivery!!!

12. JPP

JPP Active Member

So next year when I replace my wife's Lexus LS460 with a 2015 Model S, we will have cars with different versions of controls on the left. Will be an issue with muscle memory. Will need to ask my service center/Jerome G. about a retrofit (hopefully just the switch cluster behind the steering wheel itself, and no change to the wiring harness).

13. invisik

invisik Supporting Member

I can't say I'm a fan of the new setup. MB is just changing things for the hell of it (eg, center window switches). Having to turn on cruise control is also unneeded. Drive an S Class from 1999 or earlier and there is no stalk confusion.

14. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I wish the S had been made from the beginning with the turn signal/wiper control stalk above the cruise control stalk. It's the only aspect of the S interface that I don't like even after 9 months and 16K miles of ownership.

15. romp

romp Member

wondering how difficult and pricey the retrofit is going to be. I can see many people in 2+ car households willing to pay for the retrofit to preserve consistency across their cars.

16. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

If the cost is under $1K I would consider it. But I suspect it will be higher than that.

17. lloyds

lloyds Member

Put me on that list!

18. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Cruise Control stalks suck so much:

stalk.what.stalk.jpg
    --

19. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

dude, I totally agree!

20. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

It's a good trade, I think. I like having a set of buttons I can assign stuff to. I'm glad they're not dedicated cruise control buttons (though I think it would be nice to be able to map cruise control functions to them).