Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's offical front mud flaps are worth it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently ordered the official mud flaps for the MY available in the store and wanted to share my experience.

Model Y Mud Flaps

They shipped quick and were relatively easy to install with just a couple of plastic fasteners to change out. Recently here in TX we got hit with an unprecedented amount of snow, and as it was melting I of course wanted to get out and drive in my MY.

After thrashing Pupa around quite a bit, I was surprised to see a severe lack of dirt piled up on the passenger door. Before the flaps I would constantly have a lot of dirt and mud build up on the back doors. And while it is not spotless, it is massively better than I expected.

If you were wondering the effectiveness of the flaps, I can say they work well :)

vSgFLFb.jpg

Thanks for including a picture. Your white paint really showed how effective the flaps are.

I recently ordered the official mud flaps for the MY available in the store and wanted to share my experience.

Model Y Mud Flaps

They shipped quick and were relatively easy to install with just a couple of plastic fasteners to change out. Recently here in TX we got hit with an unprecedented amount of snow, and as it was melting I of course wanted to get out and drive in my MY.

After thrashing Pupa around quite a bit, I was surprised to see a severe lack of dirt piled up on the passenger door. Before the flaps I would constantly have a lot of dirt and mud build up on the back doors. And while it is not spotless, it is massively better than I expected.

If you were wondering the effectiveness of the flaps, I can say they work well :)

vSgFLFb.jpg

Reactions: dwleonard
I just had my flaps put on, but they are CONSTANTLY dragging along the floor. Soon as I let off the gas, scrape. If I want to turn in either direction, scrape.

The noise is horrendous! Do they have different heights they can be set at?

Reactions: Schwma
Do you have a Performance Model Y? On my Long Range Model Y the Tesla mud flaps have between 2-3/4" (driver's side) and 3-1/8" (passenger side) ground clearance. The Tesla spec for the Long Range Model Y's ground clearance is ~6.6 inches. The ground clearance of the Performance Model Y is approximately 1.1" less at 5.5" as far as I have been able to determine. If the Tesla mud flaps are scraping on speed bumps, driveways etc. you can trim some of the mud flap bottom edge using tin snips. I would start by removing 1/4" to see if that helps.

MYP here with the OEM flaps. Mine catch on most speed bumps and annoying a lip on the entrance to my garage. I am not sure whether to trim them or just live with it, but each time it happens as I am pulling into the garage I about have a heart attack at the noice thinking I've hit something!

Same issue on a LR AWD. My Tesla mud flaps scrape backing in/out of garage, speed bumps in alley, and when turning on to street. I don't seem to have problems most other places.
I definitely didn't scrape before I put them on, though our Prius scrapes on the turn and occasionally on the speed bumps (not the garage).

Mine too! I live in a condo, and park in an underground garage. Management loves speed bumps and the supper annoying skinny high cheap plastic ones too! So I go through 6 speed bumps every single time I leave or come back into the garage o_O.

Scrape scrape scrape...while annoying, the flaps are very flexible and sturdy, I haven't noticed any damage or scrape marks on any of them. During the winter, the scrapes loosen the accumulated snow and debris so all good.

They're relatively inexpensive, I'll just replace them if they end up breaking...beats the alternative...$50 plastic vs $XXXX paint job

LR AWD with OEM 19" wheels...

MYP & lower than that w UPP moderate springs ... and I’m scraping all over Tacoma, WA 🏎.

I knew this would be the case - but as mentioned earlier - I’ll take the scraping over loosing paint. I’ll trim them someday.

Model Y Mud Flaps

vSgFLFb.jpg
Nice ! Glad I got them then

I'm pretty sure I'm going to remove mine next week. I've had the wheel arches and along the bottom edge of the car PPF'd anyway, so that should protect against the majority of road rash.

I could try and trim them a bit I suppose, but with our speed bumps, its just not worth the hassle I don't think.

Here's hoping I don't come back in a few months crying about flaking paint!¬