Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas on ebay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think I've ever bought anything on ebay, but I recently discovered what seem to be some good deals on used Teslas there. Aside from not being certified by Tesla (and there possibly being an unspecified problem with the car), are there any particular issues to watch out for there?

For some more backstory (if you care about that kind of thing and are curious): I had been leaning toward leasing more than buying since I actually want the Model Y (or maybe Model 3) and want autopilot, but I have also had the dream of landing a sweet deal on a used/CPO Tesla. I check the CPO cars a bit, but they seem to be far too over-priced to make sense for me -- it's generally just a bit more to get a new and improved car if you take into account incentives. On the flip side of that, looking at what used Teslas are selling for, it seems to make more sense (financially) to buy and then sell in a few years than to lease. (Of course, who knows how resale value will change in the next few years, but this is my latest guess....) While CPO Teslas don't seem to make sense, there are sometimes attractive options on ebay. I'm just not sure if I'm aware of all the risks of buying there. (And I likely won't, but curious to learn more about it and not rule out the option.)

tesla model s | eBay

I don't know about how much you drive but in my case I was spending so much on gas it didn't make financial sense to wait for the Model 3 - I'd have burned up all the savings in fuel use in the mean time. And I also prefer to buy luxu-barges that are a few years old and depreciated already with 20-50K miles already on them.

But Autopilot is so useful - now that I've tried it I don't think I could bring myself to buy a non-autopilot Tesla.

Based on the incredible rate of change in improvements on the car and being such new tech, I think we really can't depend on a good resale value compared to other cars right now. It will take the MS becoming mature and more mainstream before we can really compare resale values to other similar level cars. I bought mine with this assumption and will be keeping it for a very long time, which will help to diminish the difference.

I took delivery of the top spec model, P85+, on 9-29-14. Since then, they have released the 85D, P85D, 90D, P90D, 70D. All relatively in the same price range as mine, similarly equipped. I dropped 131K, not including tax incentives. Nwt was 121K. They now sell for 75-ish-K. Talk about fast depreciation! I don't like it, but I did expect it. And I still love my model and am completely happy with it.

I think buying used, either CPO or on the open market, would be the way to go for you. The value of CPO is the revived warranty and I think that is very important on such a new car and tech. I have had no serious issues that have stopped me from driving. But the little things I have had would add up fast without the warranty. Very fast. The other thing that I get with the warranty is the Ranger Service for free, because I live less than 50 mi from my SC. The fact that they come to pick my car up at home or office and give me a like loaner for FREE is completely priceless to me. Priceless!

Nothing wrong with ebay auto sales. Contact the seller and ask for the service records if you are serious. Also, you can have the local Service Center do a courtesy inspection and have the seller release their findings to you.

Just like with any private party sale, take a look at the insides of all the panels and see if anything's been painted.

I'd look for a car that is still under warranty for at least 25k miles.

Based on the incredible rate of change in improvements on the car and being such new tech, I think we really can't depend on a good resale value compared to other cars right now.

Agreed. I would think in addition that there is going to be more downward pressure than usual on used luxury car prices across the board (not just Teslas) in the "pre self-driving" category. Autopilot is the biggest luxury feature possible for people who have to commute in traffic on a daily basis. Once this tech moves down-market everyone will want it because it reduces fatigue during traffic-filled commutes - and people will pay for that I think, even more than the safety-sell.

I've owned a really coddling, silent, Connolly-leather filled luxo-barge - and I'd choose a Tesla 70 with cloth seats and no sun-roof - but WITH auto-pilot over that lovely British coupe in a heart beat.

Imagine the choices people will make 12 months from now - $70K for a used Bentley that doesn't even have TACC and guzzles 91 - or the same money for a lightly used 2 year old Tesla that lets you keep your hand in your lap for miles at a time? I think it will be an easy choice for a lot of people.

Last edited:
I don't know about how much you drive but in my case I was spending so much on gas it didn't make financial sense to wait for the Model 3 - I'd have burned up all the savings in fuel use in the mean time. And I also prefer to buy luxu-barges that are a few years old and depreciated already with 20-50K miles already on them.

But Autopilot is so useful - now that I've tried it I don't think I could bring myself to buy a non-autopilot Tesla.

I will be driving *very* little. Work from home. And plan to be living very close to my main destination, the beach.

- - - Updated - - -

Based on the incredible rate of change in improvements on the car and being such new tech, I think we really can't depend on a good resale value compared to other cars right now. It will take the MS becoming mature and more mainstream before we can really compare resale values to other similar level cars. I bought mine with this assumption and will be keeping it for a very long time, which will help to diminish the difference.

I took delivery of the top spec model, P85+, on 9-29-14. Since then, they have released the 85D, P85D, 90D, P90D, 70D. All relatively in the same price range as mine, similarly equipped. I dropped 131K, not including tax incentives. Nwt was 121K. They now sell for 75-ish-K. Talk about fast depreciation! I don't like it, but I did expect it. And I still love my model and am completely happy with it.

I think buying used, either CPO or on the open market, would be the way to go for you. The value of CPO is the revived warranty and I think that is very important on such a new car and tech. I have had no serious issues that have stopped me from driving. But the little things I have had would add up fast without the warranty. Very fast. The other thing that I get with the warranty is the Ranger Service for free, because I live less than 50 mi from my SC. The fact that they come to pick my car up at home or office and give me a like loaner for FREE is completely priceless to me. Priceless!

Yeah, I've discovered that I really want autopilot, and imagine more hardware improvements will come up in the next few years that will hurt any 2015 and under car's value. Hard to see that *not* happening.

Regarding CPO & warranty, yeah, crossed my mind, and from following the forum for a long time as well as seeing the latest Consumer Reports news, I think that's a big point.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing wrong with ebay auto sales. Contact the seller and ask for the service records if you are serious. Also, you can have the local Service Center do a courtesy inspection and have the seller release their findings to you.

Just like with any private party sale, take a look at the insides of all the panels and see if anything's been painted.

I'd look for a car that is still under warranty for at least 25k miles.

Thanks. Great tips.

Am I crazy that autopilot doesn't seem like a big deal to me?

I think it is a personal choice and it depends on your situation. Autopilot has been out for a few weeks now and even in its current form, I don't think I would want a Tesla without it. I use it everyday and while it was released as beta and for highway use only, it is around town in stop and go traffic that it really shines. If future updates adds intersection awareness (stop signs and lights) then wow.

Ok, I believe you. Which cars cannot get the autopilot update?
Cars built before late September 2014 that were built without the various Autopilot sensors: forward radar, full ultrasonic sensor set, and forward camera. That hardware cannot be retrofitted into earlier cars because the wiring harness is different and Tesla has stated repeatedly that they will not modify the earlier cars.
Note: we do not know with certainty the specific date that Tesla started installing the AP hardware. Also, since cars are NOT built in exact VIN order there is no exact VIN that one can point to and say "all cars built after this VIN have the AP hardware installed". I believe some have said that somewhere around VIN 55000 is when cars started to get AP hardware.

My last six cars have all been bought online: 2001.5 VW Passat Wagon (eBay from private seller) 2007 FJ Cruiser (ebay from private owner), 2014 Miata (eBay from body shop), 2013 P85 (from Tesla Direct), 2014 p85+ (eBay from private seller) and 2013 Zero FX Motorcycle (dealer online - won't do that again)

I bought the 2014 P85+ loaded with every option right after the Auto pilot came out for ~ $80K direct from a private seller in March this year. This included a lot of upgrades (HPWC, hard mats, security cameras, etc) If you are a good online shopper you can find a great deal and remember that the powertrain warranty is the same as if you were the original buyer. Originally he was asking $110K. I bid every month for four months the same price and he finally called me and took the offer. I bid on probably 20 P85's until I got this one. I always the price I wanted to pay - all the dealers called me and tried to up sell me and they never even came close to the deal I got.

The Zero FX deal sucked because after I bought the bike at a great deal - the dealer added almost $1000 in additional fees on the original price of $5300 - It was still an overall good deal but - I wouldn't ever deal with a dealer again after this experience- granted they had to ship it to me ($400) and then the usual BS fees they add. From signature to delivery was over a month. Hated the experience and wouldn't do it again.

Some suggestions: Only buy late model cars that are still under warranty. Buy cars that are close enough that you can go drive to see them. Additionally now that the X and the P90DL are out I am looking for P85D loaded. I will get one for ~$80 to $85K before March 2016. It may be challenging, but somebody wants a new X or P90DL and their money is burning a hole in their wallet.

Alliant FCU provided the loans on both Teslas. I paid cash for all the other toys.Good luck. Additionally I have been a seller through eBay as well: Sold my Sienna couple months ago on eBay and the sold the Passat on ebay as well. (damn thing was costing me $2500 every quarter in repairs).

I'm with you I could care less if I get autopilot or not, granted I haven't driven a car with it, so I may reverse my decision once I try it..

Last edited: