Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas on ebay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My last six cars have all been bought online: 2001.5 VW Passat Wagon (eBay from private seller) 2007 FJ Cruiser (ebay from private owner), 2014 Miata (eBay from body shop), 2013 P85 (from Tesla Direct), 2014 p85+ (eBay from private seller) and 2013 Zero FX Motorcycle (dealer online - won't do that again)

I bought the 2014 P85+ loaded with every option right after the Auto pilot came out for ~ $80K direct from a private seller in March this year. This included a lot of upgrades (HPWC, hard mats, security cameras, etc) If you are a good online shopper you can find a great deal and remember that the powertrain warranty is the same as if you were the original buyer. Originally he was asking $110K. I bid every month for four months the same price and he finally called me and took the offer. I bid on probably 20 P85's until I got this one. I always the price I wanted to pay - all the dealers called me and tried to up sell me and they never even came close to the deal I got.

The Zero FX deal sucked because after I bought the bike at a great deal - the dealer added almost $1000 in additional fees on the original price of $5300 - It was still an overall good deal but - I wouldn't ever deal with a dealer again after this experience- granted they had to ship it to me ($400) and then the usual BS fees they add. From signature to delivery was over a month. Hated the experience and wouldn't do it again.

Some suggestions: Only buy late model cars that are still under warranty. Buy cars that are close enough that you can go drive to see them. Additionally now that the X and the P90DL are out I am looking for P85D loaded. I will get one for ~$80 to $85K before March 2016. It may be challenging, but somebody wants a new X or P90DL and their money is burning a hole in their wallet.

Alliant FCU provided the loans on both Teslas. I paid cash for all the other toys.Good luck. Additionally I have been a seller through eBay as well: Sold my Sienna couple months ago on eBay and the sold the Passat on ebay as well. (damn thing was costing me $2500 every quarter in repairs).

I'm with you I could care less if I get autopilot or not, granted I haven't driven a car with it, so I may reverse my decision once I try it..

Great info! Thanks a ton!!

Yes, the upside of buying used is not having to mess with dealers... :p Of course, not an issue buying through Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

Am I crazy that autopilot doesn't seem like a big deal to me?

I can understand that some people don't really care about it (simply personal preferences), but I don't think that's the norm. I think it looks hugely valuable + fun, so it's practically a "must" for me. Makes the current CPO & used offerings not too hot, but keeping my eyes peeled nonetheless.

Hi,

Zach said:
I have also had the dream of landing a sweet deal on a used/CPO Tesla. I check the CPO cars a bit, but they seem to be far too over-priced to make sense for me -- it's generally just a bit more to get a new and improved car if you take into account incentives.
It's difficult (but not impossible) to beat Tesla's CPO prices. I heard about two people who asked a local sales guy to look for them, and paid in the upper 40's. I don't think you can duplicate that if you make AP a requirement :wink:.

Zach said:
On the flip side of that, looking at what used Teslas are selling for, it seems to make more sense (financially) to buy and then sell in a few years than to lease. (Of course, who knows how resale value will change in the next few years, but this is my latest guess....)
IMO when the M3's start shipping in quantity the prices of used MS's will take a big hit.

There is a rumor that Tesla is planning to update the MS next summer, and that they plan to reduce CPO prices at that time.

Good Luck!

Best Wishes,

Mitch

Am I crazy that autopilot doesn't seem like a big deal to me?

Nope. I need people with that attitude out there for when I trade in to get autopilot. Probably when I get it, I won't use it much, but I sure want it.

I also wish we could sell our Canadian Model S's in the States. Looking at the prices on Ebay, and converting it to Canadian, I would do really well on selling my car in the States as opposed to Canada.

Nope. I need people with that attitude out there for when I trade in to get autopilot. Probably when I get it, I won't use it much, but I sure want it.

I also wish we could sell our Canadian Model S's in the States. Looking at the prices on Ebay, and converting it to Canadian, I would do really well on selling my car in the States as opposed to Canada.

What kind of a deal are we talking about? Maybe we can work something out.

Hi,

It's difficult (but not impossible) to beat Tesla's CPO prices. I heard about two people who asked a local sales guy to look for them, and paid in the upper 40's. I don't think you can duplicate that if you make AP a requirement :wink:.

IMO when the M3's start shipping in quantity the prices of used MS's will take a big hit.

There is a rumor that Tesla is planning to update the MS next summer, and that they plan to reduce CPO prices at that time.

Good Luck!

Best Wishes,

Mitch

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I'm much more strongly leaning toward leasing an S with Autopilot... but also tempted by the idea of finding one of these ~$45,000 scores you hear about here & there. Would be hard not to jump on one of those.

- - - Updated - - -

What kind of a deal are we talking about? Maybe we can work something out.

I love these TMC back-room deals. :D Or at least the invitations to potential deals... :D

You might check with ggenge. He was trying to sell his in the States and the listing didn't last long.

Selling a Canadian car into the States isn't a problem, the import restriction is northbound only.

Thanks for that information. That's great news with our dollar at 75 cents and likely to go even lower.

You might check with ggenge. He was trying to sell his in the States and the listing didn't last long.

Thanks too. I'm not quite ready to sell yet. I'm waiting for the next vehicle change, as I posted here:

Current owners looking to upgrade for autopilot - when? thoughts? etc.