Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's own routing algorithm v Google/Waze

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is really for the routing accuracy obsessed :)

So I had a model s (sold over a year ago) and am waiting for my model 3 (I'm one of the first to get it) and the routing was awful back then. So, whilst the maps were 'powered by google' the actual routing was Tesla proprietary algorithm. It was so inaccurate, that I used to have an unsightly phone cradle stuck to my dashboard and would use waze to do the routing calculation, totally bypassing that beautiful 17" map. For 'fun' I used to have both running at the same time and many times, Tesla would be out by 20 to 30 minutes (London - rush hour as a good example) and the diversions it wanted to send me on were ridiculous!

So my question is....over the last 12 months or so, with all the updates the car has had, have they managed to improve the accuracy of their routing algorithm!? Told you it was for the obsessed :)

PS - an obvious way to check, is to sit in the car, put in a central London location (wherever you are in the country) on the Tesla and on waze/google maps and see the difference in route and/or time.

That's great. And actually it was 2 years ago I sold the car (time flies) so hopefully the routing accuracy has improved which is good as there's little to no chance of them ever opening up their custom Linux and GUI API in order for carplay/android auto to be used.

Reactions: the_lorax
That's great. And actually it was 2 years ago I sold the car (time flies) so hopefully the routing accuracy has improved which is good as there's little to no chance of them ever opening up their custom Linux and GUI API in order for carplay/android auto to be used.

It's not perfect e.g. still no ability to add waypoints, but otherwise it's pretty solid on actual routing and predicted timing in traffic.

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I used the Tesla nav (latest software level) this morning on a complicated route through town and it came up with the exact same route Google did at home (there were many alternatives). Arrival time on a 45 min journey was spot on, taking morning rush hour traffic into account too.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Issues with the routing seem to be caused by short-term traffic congestion (which can result in some odd routes) or by recent road changes that haven't yet been updated on Tesla's server (such as a temporary closure of an entry/exit ramp).

Overall the server-based routing is a significant improvement over the NAV 1.0 routing using the stale onboard map database.

I found the new nav to be on par or even above Waze and google.
What is amazing is how quicky and accurate it now knows about traffic but also about roads blocked due to work. I now fully trust it. It does however not report the reason for the routing choices (eg new roadwork).

Note that the previous nav was actually a garmin/navigon. The new one is an in-house dev. Much clearer indications on the IC also, though for the 3 it is not applicable.