Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Paint Protection Film Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone used the paint protection film kit that Tesla sells to be installed in front of the rear tires? When installed properly, is it very noticeable? It comes in both a bottom and an upper piece. Is it necessary to install both, or would just the bottom piece provide adequate protection? It is easy to remove if desired? I live in a snowy winter climate and already have the four piece mud flaps sold by Evannex and others. I'm wondering if I should get the PPF also. Thanks!

Yea, I bought it. Not a fan. I created a short video of an unboxing. My intent was to video an install, but I was really not happy with how it turned out. IMO, the pieces don’t line up well with the car or each other. The bottom parts ended up getting ruined. Instead, I used some carbon fiber looking vinyl I had lying around to cover the bottom half.

If you’re not going the professional install route, I’d suggest getting 3M sheets and cut your own.

I also bought the film from the Tesla website. I can confirm that it does not fit properly on my Model 3 SR+ that was manufactured in August 2020. The bottom rectangular pieces are too tall and go past the seams in the panel, causing an air pocket that is impossible to get rid of. The top curved "dog leg" pieces don't seem to be a proper fit either and are difficult to line up without some compromising. This might be because they are shipped rolled up in a tube rather than flat. I contacted Tesla to ask for advice (ie. would they ship me a replacement set that fits properly or should I remove and return them and if so how to remove safely without damage) but after several emails over a week period they never did answer and just sent me a return authorization email with a return shipping label. I was quite disappointed in the lack of support from Tesla on this issue.

Can confirm the lower rectangle pieces aren't a perfect fit for the space they're supposed to go to on the car.

I did manage to make mine fall into that groove. It took a lot of heat (I used a hair dryer) and a LOT of patience. Took entirely longer than it should have, but mine stuck and remains stuck in that groove without any bubbles.

It certainly is not a perfect solution, but it'll do. Given a second opportunity I'd have just asked them to cut and install similar pieces in place when I had my front bumper/hood done.

• Funny
Reactions: mmurphy