Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's poor JD Power consumer result - seeking comment for EV story from owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, and thanks for letting me on the forum.

I'm putting a Tesla news story together for the Australian website I contribute to, EVcentral.com.au and am seeking some comment from Tesla owners if anyone's keen?

The story's about the results of America's JD Power consumer satisfaction report. - J.D. Power Report Scores Tesla A Dismal Last, Yet Tesla Owners Love Their Cars

Basically suggesting Tesla owners are experiencing more problems during the first months of ownership than other brands.

My planned story isn't an attempt to give Tesla a kick, rather report to see if Australian owners are discovering similar and if it affects your thoughts on the brand.

So, does the report concern you? Have you experienced more issues than you'd deem acceptable during ownership? Would reliability concerns put you off buying another Tesla? Do you even care about the JD Power report at all?

Would love to hear from some owners, happy to chat if you don't want to air your thoughts publicly on the forum...please feel free to message me.

Hope someone can help with some first-hand accounts, and many thanks,

iain

Hi all, and thanks for letting me on the forum.

I'm putting a Tesla news story together for the Australian website I contribute to, EVcentral.com.au and am seeking some comment from Tesla owners if anyone's keen?

The story's about the results of America's JD Power consumer satisfaction report. - J.D. Power Report Scores Tesla A Dismal Last, Yet Tesla Owners Love Their Cars

Basically suggesting Tesla owners are experiencing more problems during the first months of ownership than other brands.

My planned story isn't an attempt to give Tesla a kick, rather report to see if Australian owners are discovering similar and if it affects your thoughts on the brand.

So, does the report concern you? Have you experienced more issues than you'd deem acceptable during ownership? Would reliability concerns put you off buying another Tesla? Do you even care about the JD Power report at all?

Would love to hear from some owners, happy to chat if you don't want to air your thoughts publicly on the forum...please feel free to message me.

Hope someone can help with some first-hand accounts, and many thanks,

iain

Feel free to PM if you wish to get my mobile details (would prefer a chat).....I own 2x Tesla's and currently on my third....so I've had Tesla S - E - X so feel my experience of ownership "worthy" :cool:

I've had my Model 3 SR+ for 3½ months, and I've already put 28,081km on it - as an Uber driver.

One minor fault (one of my taillights was full of water) - which the Canberra service centre fixed relatively painlessly under warranty - though it took ages waiting for the replacement part.

I had two punctured tyres (one of which was fixable) (probably vandalism - they were a few days apart) and my 2 driving wheels needed replacement recently (the other 2 will go very soon).

I can't say these are unexpected. Only one was Tesla's fault. The tyres are bloody expensive compared to every other car I've owned. One day I'll hit something non-warranty and my opinion may change. But for now I have no regrets.

It's hard to compare our 3SR+ with any other car I've owned. I've previously owned 5 Hondas with 3 others in the family. They have been solid, but none of them have improved during the time I've owned them like this Tesla does, and while Honda had outstanding customer service at two dealers, we had bad and costly experiences from three others.

In contrast we've had two Holdens in the family and both of those have been dogged by faults created by dealer servicing. In fact I've only truly become happy with our present 2nd car, a Holden, since we stopped using their dealers for servicing and breakfix.

On the Tesla warranty side I've not had any claims as yet (Sept 2019 delivery) and we've identified no faults. I have used roadside assistance for a flat tyre and that was a decent experience overall. It's not a perfect car, but we're loving it and presently I see no alternatives to a Tesla for our next car.

I believe some of it comes down to the delivery model. At-least for Australia.

From what I understand from my paint shop, many new vehicles have issues with paint (mainly due to incidents during transport) and that the dealer fixes it before the owner gets it. The owner never knows.

In my case, my Model 3 was delivered with a chip in the door (appears to be from transit). Tesla found the chip and had already logged a case before I got to pick it up. Tesla then arranged to get the door resprayed about 6 weeks later.

So that's one quality issue for Tesla.

But for other cars purchased though a dealer, its likely they picked up the issue in the yard, got it resolved and the customer doesn't even know. This is probably also the case for some minor mechanical issues. (I understand some customer had 12V battery issues and brake fluid issues, both which could have been checked and resolved by a dealer prior to delivery)

As for my Model 3 - Its the best car I've ever purchased.

A quick look at Wikipedia shows:
"Power ratings are based on the survey responses of randomly selected and/or specifically targeted consumers."
"J.D. Power obtains the majority of its revenue from corporations that seek the data collected from J.D. Power surveys for internal use."
"To be able to use the J.D. Power logo and to quote the survey results in advertising, companies must pay a licensing fee to J.D. Power."
Wonder if Tesla pays that fee? Unlikely since they don't play the advertising game. Dodge tied for first place!
As far as our X is concerned, since March 19 we have had the yellow border issue with the screen, wipers a little out of kilter and horn failure, all fixed promptly and without cost. Things much better now there is a service centre in Canberra. Still an awesome car.

I have only ever owned 3 near new cars (Jeep, Peugeot and Tesla) and the Tesla is by far the most reliable. The fact that is electric means that it is far less susceptible to Engine failure (Jeep, fixed under warranty) and gearbox failure (Peugeot, twice at $6000 a pop). My Tesla has a yellow ring around my screen which is being fixed this weekend. In the first week of ownership my son got locked in the car due to it automatically locking at a supercharger with the keys inside, the jeep nor Peugeot never did this. I couldn't unlock the car remotely as the app had not been setup by Tesla yet. This meant I had to smash the window to get in. Make of that what you will but some of the basics like locking and unlocking or door handles (search this forum) may have been too ambitious for Tesla to take on. They wouldn't do that at SpaceX and they also needed to make a splash with the Model S.

I have serious doubts about JDPower's neutrality. Just reading the report and having spent significant time driving BMW, Mercedes, Range Rover, Toyota, Chrysler, Volvo, Tesla, Ford (in no particular order) I feel their report cannot possibly be reflective of the truth. Any US cars I have driven or owned other than the Tesla were simplistic if not to say primitive, lagging behind the power curve in both entertainment and functionality by years if not decades. You can't have BT problems if there is no BT in the car... Build quality has always been shoddy, with focus on shiny new appearance that ages quickly. Vinyl and plastics rule their game, which makes sense as they manufacture for a market where model turnover goes annually and hardly anyone who buys new cars owns the same car for more than a year.

Having said that, I've only ever had two cars die on me to the point of being undrivable (not including hitting kangaroos with killed the electronics/inverter cooling pump in my Prius which led to very interesting errors). My Landcruiser Troopy blew the clutch twice, once in 2007 and again in 2010, and my current 2020 Tesla Model S had all screens die at the same time (likely an eMMC failure but they wouldn't tell me specifically). Tesla also had to come out an adjust the hatch as it was touching the rear bumper, as delivered out of the factory. So in terms of Tesla coming in last, that is credible. Dodge coming in first? I don't think so, only if you count BT and media/entertainment problems... 'cos they don't have much in terms of modern tech in their vehicles.

I purchased a model s around 5 years ago. The wife took it off my hands as she loved it so much, so I ordered another. These were both after a new bmw that spent 4 months at the dealer trying (but never did) to fix a significant problem, and a new audi that was delivered with major internal scratches, which humourously the dealer offered to fix around 2 years after we sold the car as he wanted his $5k guarantee back.
2 years ago we sold both these model s, and bought two new model s. I’ve never replaced a car with the same car before. I guess that says more than anything.
Like all previous cars the tesla’s had some little issues, but in Adelaide we’ve had a brilliant tesla mechanic who either comes to me (which other car company does that?) or I go to him if its a bit more major. Generally the work has been done the same day or at least the same week. Prior to Adelaide having a mechanic tesla would fly one in from melb or qld, once again without delay.
I havnt read the report in question, but have followed tesla enough to know that short sellers, big oil, and fossil car makers are doing all they can to stop tesla. Hence I no longer read anything put out about tesla, rather I rely on my experiences.
If I sold my tesla, I dont know what I’d replace it with.