Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Production Innovation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We all know that Tesla has created some incredibly innovative vehicles. What I want to know is, in detail, how is Tesla innovating in the factory? There doesn't seem to be much public information on this subject, but it is without a doubt, hugely important in terms of profitability and ability to meet customer demand. I assume that their goal is to make vehicles at least twice as efficiently as the traditional auto makers. I did hear Elon say in the 1Q conference call that labor hours per vehicle dropped by 20% and more improvement was on the way but he did not say how.

I've seen quotes of 3-4 times more robots (some say 500) on the second line.

I think robots may be more efficient once everything is ironed out but changes and fixes are harder to implement. Hence X rollout is partly being delayed by automation, but next year should ramp up quickly...if everything is working as designed.

"I assume that their goal is to make vehicles at least twice as efficiently as the traditional auto makers." not possible.

It would be a noble goal and a large achievement for Tesla to match a traditional auto maker for production efficiently. Toyota likely has more employees involved in finding new efficiency in production than Tesla employees in total. Saving a single dollar on the production of the Camry would save around 10 million dollars in one model run. Their logistic and planning software is some of the most advanced software on earth and they spend over 100 million every year just keeping there production efficiency software up to date.

Tesla can improve on design, sales and many other area's. Improving the efficiency of sourcing a bolt and screwing that bolt together is an area that Tesla won't be able to compete in for some time.