Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's quarterly AP crash stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Brando and TMThree
Oooo, fun with stats:

Q3/2018: (3.34-1.82/(3.34+1.82)) x 100 = 29% AP to non-AP advantage
Q4/2018: (2.91-1.58/(2.91+1.58)) x 100 = 30% AP to non-AP advantage
Q1/2019: (2.87-1.76/(2.87+1.76)) x 100 = 24% AP to non-AP advantage

At the very least AP seems to be an effective "safety placebo"

The difference is substantial. Your incorrect labeling of tabled numbers implies that the accidents are more frequent during driving with the autopilot engaged.

Well that’s taking it out of context. I was simply summarizing the numbers from the post which by title said Autopilot was on the safer side.

An interpretation that my numbers would show Autopilot was on the less safe side ignores the context I was referencing.

I was merely posting the trend and the math that showed the trend.

• Disagree
Reactions: lklundin
I hate to quibble details since I personally believe AP provides a huge safety improvement. But in terms of statistics, we should note that the places (e.g. highway) where AP is currently viable (and therefore mostly used) probably have fewer accidents per mile than other types of roadways (e.g. urban, city streets, w/ intersections). AP would probably show a better safety improvement in those areas, but we don't really know yet, because the data is under-represented.

Reactions: bhzmark
Autopilot/Human (registered accident per million miles)

Q3/2018: 3.34/1.82 = 1.84
Q4/2018: 2.91/1.58 = 1.84
Q1/2019: 2.87/1.76 = 1.63

What part of this post is wrong @Thora, @malcolm or @J1mbo?

Registered accident per million miles for AP: 3.34, 2.91, 2.87
Registered accident per million miles for non-AP: 1.82, 1.58, 1.76

And then I literally showed the division calculation for each.

The abbreviation for title of the table could have been clearer, but the numbers literally came from the story in the post.

• Disagree
Reactions: lklundin
To be clear, what I abbreviated as ”registered accident per million miles” it was meant to be short for registered ”accident per X million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged.” It was just shorthand.

I thought it would have been clear after the original post. It didn’t occur to me anyone could take the numbers the other way given the title and context given by the first post. I could have been clearer.

Is there a disagreement over the numbers?

I don't think you can claim a "trend" on the basis of three points.

Equally I don't think it's possible to claim greater safety due to the AP system on the same data (not until/unless/if/when these systems start to affect insurance premiums).

Are these trips safer due to AP or because drivers are more alert? Can't tell. Hence my use of the term "safety placebo"

Reactions: OPRCE and bhzmark
Don't link to the stupid eltrek.co article with the misleading click bait headline. I hate that guy's increasingly deranged headlines and his refusal to link to the sources. He's really become a scourge to humanity.

The real info is always right here. Tesla Vehicle Safety Report

I think this says that for every mile driven, an "average" NHTSA car is four times more likely to have an accident than a hand driven Tesla, and seven times more likely than a Tesla on Autopilot.

I'm not sure why the hand driven cars are so much less likely to have an accident than average, unless it is driven by secondary factors like demographics.

Some of the driver assistance features may help, but all the crash safety features should be irrelevant to this metric and most Teslas I know are not driven extremely slowly and conservatively though they do tend to have experienced drivers.

What part of this post is wrong @Thora, @malcolm or @J1mbo?

Registered million miles per accident for AP: 3.34, 2.91, 2.87
Registered million miles per accident for non-AP: 1.82, 1.58, 1.76

And then I literally showed the division calculation for each.

The abbreviation for title of the table could have been clearer, but the numbers literally came from the story in the post.

Fixed it for you.

A little worrying that AP is trending towards more accidents / million miles.