Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's removing low regen option on new cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is a bit odd if that is the case. I often use low regen mode to give the brakes some use to hopefully reduce some of the corrosion and rust that comes from them not being used as much on an EV

Same as above, normal driving never touches the brake pedal. One worry with the performance is the brakes, unless you drive very hard or track it I can't see how you would ever go through a set of discs or pads. Will be annoying having to replace expensive parts that have barely been used due to corrosion through lack of use. I sold my last car with 50K on the clock and still original brakes and being an ICE they were used every trip.

Yeah, that's the curse of driving EVs really.. you very quickly get used to not using the brake at all, even though to say that out loud almost sounds fantastical.

I find that on most journeys if I've used the brake at all except to park then I've probably made a mistake in anticipation. As a consequence my brakes always look pretty crap aesthetically.

I guess at some point getting the discs reskimmed would be necessary unless you go out of your way to do the whole "speed up and then stand on the brakes" thing. I find the idea of having to do that annoying though, particularly as when washing the car I like not having to worry about brake dust!

I have a M3, SWoMBO has an IONIQ.

The Ioniq has gear change style flappy paddles which control the regen. I really miss that on the Tesla.

When in the Ioniq, I usually have the regen off completely and coast most of the time, with only an occasional dab of the accelerator. Need to slow down, a notch or 2 or regen for a few seconds, then turn it off.. Also the brake pedal is linked to regen, very unusual to use the brake pads at all...