Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Rerouting capability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just wondering how good is Tesla's navigation when it comes to rerouting on freeways? When it comes to really bad accidents or suicidal people or stand off with criminals / police? I had the worst commute yesterday, two incidences of freeways being closed down.

I frequently or once a week travel from OC to LA to go to Dave & Busters Hollywood. I travel further because one of the ticket games there is easier to win than my closer location, and there is another dude like me who is always at my nearest D&B who wants to farm arcade tickets like I do.

My commute is usually the 5 freeway to 101 freeway to get to Hollywood. But coming from Lake Forest, my GPS rerouted me to take the 405 freeway instead, which usually doesn't happen. But later I went on the 605 to get back on the 5 freeway, but then there was a cop car blocking the transition to get on the 5 freeway and it created a huge confusing traffic mess. The Tesla navigation just said to get back on the 5 freeway, but it didn't realize the 5 freeway was closed off. I knew something major was going on, it def wasn't construction, I felt it was likely someone trying to commit suicide by freeway. Checked Youtube later CBS news had breaking news that both lanes of the 5 freeway in the Norwalk area was closed off. I had no idea what to do because the 5 freeway was kind of the only way to go from where I was, and had to take a huge detour. I wish the Tesla was better at rerouting for situations when an entire freeway was closed, but maybe the police shut down the freeway like only a few minutes before I got close to it.

I really hate these crazy people who want to use the freeway to threaten to take their own life. I think they're not really suicide victims who are serious about taking their life, I think they just crazy people who want attention by inconviniencing everyone's commute. They can't let people get to their destination without them acknowledging their existence, so they get the police to shut down the freeway for their moment of fame. Almost like a school shooter who kills to get attention before they commit suicide. It would be nice if there was a GPS system that knew some crazy dude was going to stand above a freeway so it could reroute everyone. I know I'm mostly ranting, but I'm wondering if freeway shut down due to a crazy person threatening to commit suicide is something that can't be predicted and just happens when it happens. You know, stuff that wasn't planned like construction.

Then the 2nd one, there was just a really bad accident and everyone had to stop on the freeway. Thankfully that was only maybe 10 minutes long, no longer than 30-60 minutes. I think bad car accidents are faster to clear than a person trying to commit suicide. Just because when its a suicidal person, they aren't worried about safety and probably want to drag things as long as possible. While car accidents, people probably want to get cleared as fast as they.

Last edited:
It seems to be pretty good at rerouting around tie ups. I don't know how fast it is at doing this - the times it's done it for me I had no idea if the tie ups were new or several hours old.

My favorite was an avoidance of an accident during rush hour traffic in Allentown, PA - it took me on this fairly long, but really scenic back roads route that was tons nicer than the standard interstate route.