Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's response to me leaking info about the P100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL! It's probably appropriate that we're in wk057's thread, because he's the worst around here for contributing to feelings of inadequacy! One day he's building a utility scale solar system in his backyard, the next he's reconstructing Tesla battery packs into a rack mount system with custom BMS, and shortly after he's hacking code and sparring with Elon.

I feel a sense of accomplishment getting the full set of upgraded LED lamps into my car cleanly and neatly! Seriously, whiskey-tango-foxtrot... I often find myself wondering if he a) has a job, and; b) ever sleeps. I'm hoping the answer to both is 'no'. Otherwise I should probably avoid looking too closely at my hands... :cool:

This made me chuckle. :cool:

I work for myself, so not a traditional 9-5 type job. I do sleep occasionally. Certainly not often enough.

Even in your apology you're implying that he fibbed, when it seems pretty clear he did not.
I disagree. Kinda. True enough, the first "attempt" at an apology was still snarky and, in my opinion, quite obnoxious. A failed attempt at an apology, to be sure.

I agree. I hope you've calmed down now and realized that half of what you've written is complete nonsense and we can have a more fruitful discussion involving facts and logic going forward. I won't hold your fibs against you. :)
But then he realized he might just be insulting a Linux genius, and he then made a real apology that I think was genuine. The interspersed info about possibly meeting at one of the conventions seemed an attempt to move past the hostility and offer a proverbial olive branch.

<snipped> I do, however, sincerely apologize with regards to calling out the fibbing. It's rare you see someone with actual credentials contribute on a forum like this, so I apologize. The irony is, we've probably run across each other at some point, though I don't recall any specific instances and I stopped the conference gigs in 2014.

Yeah, ego may have got in the way at first, but I'm pretty sure everyone's past that now.

My 2 cents. :cool:

Wow, now I'm OFFICIALLY impressed! No, really...

Me too! Now I need to go back and read over my posts since I hope I didn't offend dirkhh. Good thing the focus was on Naonak!

Which is part of it's still fun to hang around (somewhat) even with the daily drama about trivial stuff.

It's the daily drama and trivial stuff that keeps this non-technical small mind here among the giants. All the computer stuff flies way over my head. I remember buying my first modem, even before the internet, so I could access QuickLaw directly to do legal research while in law school. Stupid me! I should have dissected that computer and modem!

He's also very good at stringing party lights in trees. (Which are still going strong, btw.)

View attachment 114354

Surely, you could have found someone with less of an hourly rate. Does Bill Gates cut your lawn?

Surely, you could have found someone with less of an hourly rate. Does Bill Gates cut your lawn?

Made me chuckle for sure. Sergei Brin is Bonnie's pool guy, don't you know?

That's the fun thing about a party of Tesla owners (this was from Party at Picnic Creek) - lots of really smart, bright, successful people ... not talking about work, but just having a good time, beer in hand.

That's the fun thing about a party of Tesla owners (this was from Party at Picnic Creek) - lots of really smart, bright, successful people ... not talking about work, but just having a good time, beer in hand.

Looks like a lot of fun! It's too bad that my invite must have got lost in the mail...
sad.png

Wow, now I'm OFFICIALLY impressed! No, really...
Once upon a time, I was slightly impressed with myself that I was on comp.os.minix back in '91 and saw Linus's original "I wrote this cool OS" post when he sent it out: Google Groups

As I recall, he got flamed over the next few days on the group for creating a monolithic kernel and not doing a Mach-style microkernel. I switched from hacking Minix to Linux shortly thereafter.

Even in your apology you're implying that he fibbed, when it seems pretty clear he did not. You can do better than that, I'm certain.

- - - Updated - - -

So I'm curious... what part of "sincerely apologize with regards to calling out the fibbing" are you not understanding? It seems pretty clear to me, but if I need to use smaller words, I'll be glad to, just let me know which part you're having trouble with.

But just in case, let me be clear: I do sincerely apologize for saying that he fibbed about his work on Linux. I do not, however, apologize for explaining to him exactly how he is wrong. I fully acknowledge his contributions and experience, but that doesn't make him omnipotent, and he is patently and 100% incorrect in his assumptions about the legality of the GPL. If for no other reason than it's never been properly tested in court. But to go further, in my opinion, and you can assign whatever weight you want to that, it will not stand as written if and when it ever is properly challenged in court. I say this not because of any particular flaw in GPLv3, but because I know how difficult it will be to make an SC judge understand the nuances therein, never mind a jury. I predict that at such time the GPL does end up in court in a proper case, we'll see lots of bad case law come out of it long before we get anything good if that ever even happens. Chances are, bad case law will be set, and the GPL will be rewritten (v4, etc...) to correct for the design flaws in v3 and we will start the whole process over again.

I see people like him in my office all the time and in their heart of hearts, they believe what they are saying is correct. But the US justice system, just like the Universe, doesn't care what you believe. It simply does what it does, and no amount of wishful thinking is going to change it.

Last edited:
So I'm curious... what part of "sincerely apologize with regards to calling out the fibbing" are you not understanding? It seems pretty clear to me, but if I need to use smaller words, I'll be glad to, just let me know which part you're having trouble with.

But just in case, let me be clear: I do sincerely apologize for saying that he fibbed about his work on Linux. I do not, however, apologize for explaining to him exactly how he is wrong. I fully acknowledge his contributions and experience, but that doesn't make him omnipotent and he is patently and 100% incorrect in his assumptions about the legality of the GPL. If for NO other reason than it's never been properly tested in court. But to go further, in my opinion, and you can assign whatever weight you want to that, it will not stand as written if and when it ever is properly challenged in court. I say this not because of any particular flaw in GPLv3, but because I know how difficult it will be to make a SoC judge understand the nuances therein, never mind a jury. I predict that at such time the GPL actually does end up in court in a proper case, we'll see lots of bad case law come out of it long before we get anything good, if that ever even happens. Chances are, bad case law will be set and the GPL will be rewritten (v4, etc...) to correct for the design flaws in v3 and we will start the whole process over again.

I see people like him in my office all the time and in their heart of hearts they believe what they are saying is correct. But the US justice system, just like the Universe, doesn't care what you believe. It simply does what it does and no amount of wishful thinking is going to change it.

Sheesh, is it possible to be any more snippy, condescending and arrogant than this ^^^?

Once upon a time, I was slightly impressed with myself that I was on comp.os.minix back in '91 and saw Linus's original "I wrote this cool OS" post when he sent it out: Google Groups

Hello everybody out there using minix -I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
professional like gnu
) for 386(486) AT clones.

<sprays coffee all over screen>

Mmmhmmm.... yeah... we'll see about that... LOL!
:biggrin:

Wow.. I am blown away by the kind of accomplished contributors we have here in this forum.. and for Christs sake this is just an automobile fan group.

I am even amazed I am allowed to write here.

Just watching this for the last half hour: LinuxCon CloudOpen North America 2013 - New Frontiers - Dirk Hohndel, Intel - YouTube

And, FWIW I don't believe Naonak was condescending or arrogant in his latest reply. He is simply stating on the aspect of Open source licenses and legality around it, he believes he is right.

I say cut him some slack. He had a Full House and did not expect a Royal Flush. Having a Full House makes one's head swell sometimes.

In online tech arguments, old hand insider on the subject trumps just about anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Very true. I have run into several colleagues here both in technology and executive management. It makes sense given the technology involved.

It makes sense on several levels when you think about it. Techies are going to be drawn to this car more than the general public, both for the technology and a lot of high tech people are concerned about the environment (at least to some degree). Add to that many of the movers and shakers in high tech also made money out of it and have the spare cash to buy a Tesla. It's not surprising a fair number of tech insiders are here.

After installing 2.12.126 I had the half-amperage issue at anything below 64 amps. At 64 and 80 amps it stopped half-way and after 1-2 minutes it increased to the set amps. When I stopped the charger, I got a Charging Cable Fault at 64 and 80 amps.

I installed 12.13.77 today and did a quick test at 42 amps. When the amps started increasing, it stopped at 21 amps for 15-30 seconds and then continued to 42 amps. It slowed down at least 2 times after 21 amps until it got to 42 amps. When I stopped the charger at 42 amps, I got a Charging Cable Fault error message. There is still a charging issue with my Model S with Dual Chargers.

i will re-run the same tests that I did before at the same amperage settings and update this posting.
--------------------------

12.13.77 still has charging issues. I ran a test today at 42 amps and used my iPhone to create a video. The charging amps increased to 21 amps and stayed their for 30 seconds until it increased slowly to 42 amps. It stopped twice for about 5 seconds before reaching 42 amps. I did not get the charging cable fault today.

I sent sent the video to the SC today and talked to one of the service advisors a couple of times. He told me that one of his technicians told him that this may be normal for this version of software. I told him that I have 12,000 miles on my MS and that prior to installing 2.12.126 that I had never had this problem.

The Tesla software engineers are going to need to fix this in a new software release. I just read that their is a new version available so hopefully this will resolve my charging issue.