Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's response to me leaking info about the P100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My college age daughter believes this is actually guerrilla-war marketing by Tesla. The plant was intentional, and put there with the knowledge someone would find it. And the ninja attck response only expands the on-line buzz. Free advertising for the new model. Maybe Jason's being used in a great marketing conspiracy! :eek:

Possible, it still amazes me that people are surprised about news of a new pack capacity considering JB and Elon talk about it several times a year every year.

Model S60 pre AP (2012 to early 2014)
Model S85 pre AP (2012 to early 2014)

Model S60 with AP (late 2014)
Model S85 with AP (late 2014)

Model S70 (early 2015)
Model S90 (mid 2015)

Now we know S100 is coming but we don't know if it is mid 2016 or late 2016.

And will the S70 step up to S80 in 2016?

whenever they come out I've been waiting for them knowing they were coming just listening to JB and Elon. Nothing leaked in the firmware changes the expected march of progress. Price and timing are minor issues to me, I know it will come, I know the price will drop. People will moan about the price difference between 85 and 90 or 90 and 100 short term, but long term the price will drop.

Possible, it still amazes me that people are surprised about news of a new pack capacity considering JB and Elon talk about it several times a year every year.

Exactly!

As I've been getting caught up on this, the fact that the information that has become public due to wk057's tweet is really not in any way surprising, earth-shattering information has been at the forefront of my thoughts. Tesla had just discontinued the 85 pack. Anyone paying attention would know that a new, larger pack was coming soon. Sure, perhaps we wouldn't have known whether it would be a 95, a 100, or something a little larger, but it's not as if the leaked information indicated a 130kW pack was due out in a week. In some sense I view this as much ado about nothing.

I do understand how Tesla could view Jason's original tweet the wrong way. On the other hand, the people at Tesla that are involved in whatever has now transpired also had to know that Jason had the information long ago, and had not shared it, and also had to know just how much more valuable, potentially-damaging information Jason has not shared. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but in light of that, perhaps they might have realized that Jason had a history of generally "doing the right thing" by Tesla, and that the tweet, though perhaps slightly in poor judgment, was not to be taken as a shot across the bow, but rather as the well-intentioned joke that perhaps was found offensive by some. Those at Tesla responsible for what appears to be the retaliatory action had to be aware that for months if Jason had wanted to he could have shown others how to gain the access he has, but he has not done that. In light of how damaging that could be, that in and of itself should have earned him the benefit of the doubt, in my opinion.

As I wrote to someone else, this whole episode reminds me of a birthday card a good friend sent me once. It said something along the lines of, "I'm really glad we're friends because you'd make a formidable enemy." In my opinion Jason has, for the most part, demonstrated that he is certainly more of a friend to Tesla than an enemy. And he would certainly make a formidable enemy. If I were Tesla, I'd much rather keep Jason as a friend.

2f7fc0b4a3f110a8e171e5264fe0dd35.jpg

Reactions: Werecow
The Model S is not a protected computer system.

You'd have a case if Jason accessed Tesla's internal VPN and stole information from there.

But once hardware is in your hands, it's not illegal to look at or reverse engineer the software (regardless of what the EULA says; and remember, Tesla don't make you sign one.)

Exactly, I meant it the other way around.

Sleeping on it is definitely a good idea. ...If you release everything that you found, there is no way back from that. It would be much easier to work out a diplomatic solution if your don't drop the bomb, especially out of anger.

What can Tesla do to wk057 if he "spills the beans"? He isn't breaking any laws. The most they could/can do is ban him from buying another Tesla direct from the factory. If push came to shove he could simply sell this Tesla and buy another one on the used market.

While I'm sure you didn't mean it this way (and have since removed the tweet - good call, btw), when I saw your tweet about it to Elon/TM, it looked like you were taunting them with the whole 'I know your secrets'.

Personally I don't see "I know your secrets" as taunting - I see it as a "wink." Regardless - publicity for Tesla is good publicity. Elon should be grateful that people care enough to be doing things like this. In the long run this kind of incident just adds to the mystique of Tesla being an awesome company that is always improving - and that trumps any short term sales hit from a few folks putting orders off a couple weeks.

I believe the only petty side in this action is Tesla corporate. Not only petty but short sighted - making themselves look like Big Brother stomping on the little guy.

What can Tesla do to wk057 if he "spills the beans"? He isn't breaking any laws. The most they could/can do is ban him from buying another Tesla direct from the factory. If push came to shove he could simply sell this Tesla and buy another one on the used market.

Spy shots, internal leaks, and outsiders finding data concerning new models is a staple of the auto industry.

Most MFR's ignore it unless it was an internal leak. Because spyshots and unconfirmed data are never sure bets like insider leaks are, they are little more than rumors. One MFR sent a development car to an testing lab who leaked information, and not only did they fire the vendor, they sent emails and letters to websites who posted pics and data from the leak since it was "stolen" IP from a source under NDA contract.

I had SSH blocked in iptables, along with some other things I figured Tesla could use to manipulate my car remotely. I didn't think they could control so much directly via the updater without a patch of some sort first. I stand corrected on that thinking.

They're probably running a reverse proxy through the updater. Can you identify any open connections out of the updater to their server? Could be able to block those.

Sleeping on it is certainly good, although a note from the CEO definitely hasn't hurt. ;) Certainly the last thing I expected to happen today.

Keeping my white hat on (hey, it's even a white Tesla hat :p ) and giving Tesla time to sort this all out. Guess is that all we be well soon enough.

Code:
root@cid-5YJSA1H24EFP64184# /sbin/iptables -D INPUT -i tun0 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
root@cid-5YJSA1H24EFP64184# /sbin/iptables -D INPUT -i tun0 -j LOG
root@cid-5YJSA1H24EFP64184# /sbin/iptables -D OUTPUT -o tun0 -j DROP
root@cid-5YJSA1H24EFP64184# /sbin/iptables -D OUTPUT -o tun0 -j LOG

Your move.

Thank you, TMC mods, for carving out this thread. :)

Reactions: NiallDarwin
Sleeping on it is certainly good, although a note from the CEO definitely hasn't hurt. ;) Certainly the last thing I expected to happen today.

Keeping my white hat on (hey, it's even a white Tesla hat :p ) and giving Tesla time to sort this all out. Guess is that all we be well soon enough.

Code:
root@cid-5YJSA1H24EFP64184# /sbin/iptables -D INPUT -i tun0 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
root@cid-5YJSA1H24EFP64184# /sbin/iptables -D INPUT -i tun0 -j LOG
root@cid-5YJSA1H24EFP64184# /sbin/iptables -D OUTPUT -o tun0 -j DROP
root@cid-5YJSA1H24EFP64184# /sbin/iptables -D OUTPUT -o tun0 -j LOG

Your move.

Thank you, TMC mods, for carving out this thread. :)

Sounds like wk057 could get a job at TM...

It's his own property, what he does with it or doesn't do with it his business. Tesla sabotaging his vehicle is AGAINST THE LAW and could get them a lawsuit from wk057 if he really wanted to press the issue.

Given the very small amount of written contract that exists between Tesla and its customers, it's not at all clear to me that a forced downgrade is a violation of any law. "Sabotage" probably would be (although I'm not a lawyer and can't cite what law it would violate) but "downgrade to a lower firmware revision while leaving the car completely operable" isn't sabotage, or at least you might have a hard time convincing a judge of it.

Not that I think it was a good or smart move, it wasn't. The Elon tweet makes it all the more interesting, I'm going to have to buy more popcorn.

Tesla knows that their brand of cars appeals to the techies. If they were that worried about revealing something I'm not sure they would have mentioned it in the code.
Anyway its a good thread, listening to this whilst reading this hacking thread.
popcornsmiley1.gif

Last edited by a moderator: