Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's response to me leaking info about the P100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing to note, historically Tesla almost never makes a statement on anything like this, they just keep quiet. (Elon's Tweets being the exception)

However they do sometimes show intent in their actions.

Example: The latest dual charger bug. They never admitted anything publicly, but they did quickly and quietly send out a firmware fix.

There is no particular inside knowledge here. We have no details on exactly WHEN a P100D will arrive. In September 2015, Musk publicly stated said that Tesla could increase the range of the Model S to over 600 miles within a year or two, immediately after the release of the 90. We know there will be constant range increases. It's public information.

elon-musk-video-interview-tesla-model-s-range-600-miles-two-years

Interview with Elon [Børsen - Danish business paper] - YouTube is one copy of the interview.

But it wasn't talking EPA range, he was talking hypermiling. Check out 6 mins in the video.

record is 800 km, to drive that requires very low speed maybe 40/50 kmh. goes on to talk about 1000km and 1200km and how many years down the road each are at low speeds.

Any evidence to back this up? I have logs of Tesla trying to push my car back two versions from the latest (2.13.77 -> 2.12.126 -> 2.12.45) and not a single report of anyone else having the same occur. If I saw even one report of this happening to someone else, I would have considered another perspective on the events. But here we are, a full day later, nothing. People still getting and installing 2.13.77.

As of this afternoon Tesla's firmware servers were still not reporting the job to install 2.13.77, so I forced the updater to do so... and in the process learned quite a bit I didn't previously know about the updater. :)
Tesla is a multi-billion dollar company with thousands of employees. People make major financial decisions based on what is public information vs private. You're leaking confidential privileged information to the public and press. Just because you CAN hack this information doesn't mean you should. The legal difference between hacking code to get insider info and throwing a brick through the window of Tesla HQ to get the info is not as large as you may think.

Last edited:
One thing to note, historically Tesla almost never makes a statement on anything like this, they just keep quiet. (Elon's Tweets being the exception)

However they do sometimes show intent in their actions.

Example: The latest dual charger bug. They never admitted anything publicly, but they did quickly and quietly send out a firmware fix.

Yeah wk is actually doing Tesla a favor here. It is scaring the firmware/software team into action and going forward they will be much more careful.

Elon is giving a wink & nod that what happened here is borderline OK, but that doesn't mean the firmware/software team see's it that way. From Elon's perspective it is not a big deal (given the timing the leak will only lead to a minute momentary lag in S sales; X sales are on lock) and it ensures it won't happen again.

Remember every other auto mfg has a stable of Tesla's and they are reverse engineering every release with a large team of hackers and engineers trying to glean insight. BMW actually got there hands on a founder's Model S. They actually thought Tesla was stupid for selling it to them, but what they don't get is Tesla wants to share and be emulated, they just don't want to be ripped off and copied. They are the world's largest semi open source hardware company.

Remember prices across the line are going to jump up, so waiting for a 100 may not be wise, unless you really need a 100 pack

Last edited:
Yes, many people have had software updates pulled, but I've never heard of ONE person that was downgraded. I think that was the point.

That's not what people said when Tesla took away suspension height adjustment for a period of time (replacing it after doing the recall that wasn't a recall and added the titanium shielding under the car). There was a lot of outrage by a number of people about how their car had been downgraded/made worse.

The one thing that confuses me is that Tesla would leave Sig owners of the X with cars that are obsolete just 5 months after the announcement... oh wait, nah, that sounds like Tesla SOP to me.

Methinks you don't know the difference between obsolete and obsolescence enough to at least use the latter.

Literally anything no longer produced can be called obsolete

adjective: obsolete
no longer produced or used; out of date.

but figuratively obsolete is reserved for things that are no longer useful. And since a car is usually drivable for 10+ years I don't consider a car from a few months ago obsolete if they stop making it today.

That's not what people said when Tesla took away suspension height adjustment for a period of time (replacing it after doing the recall that wasn't a recall and added the titanium shielding under the car). There was a lot of outrage by a number of people about how their car had been downgraded/made worse.

Do you honestly not see the difference with an announced "recall"/fix that affected everyone and a stealth rollback of functionality that apparently only affected one individual?

Seriously?

BMW actually got there hands on a founder's Model S. They actually thought Tesla was stupid for selling it to them, but what they don't get is Tesla wants to share and be emulated, they just don't want to be ripped off and copied. They are the world's largest semi open source hardware company.

Many years ago I worked for BMW. They had a gentleman's agreement with Mercedes. They sent each other new cars once they came out. Both know, and it's actually common knowledge, that car manufacturers buy their competitor's cars to take them apart and analyze them. So they just sent each other theirs. There were other agreements as well.

As for the 100 battery pack. How is anyone surprised. Tesla is constantly developing new and better technology and the battery is the core item. Everyone knew there will be larger batteries over time. Every year a new iPhone comes out. It is a given. Does anyone get upset when someone says, 'hey I know this fall there will be a new iPhone'? LOL

After driving an X for a while, it is obvious to me that a 90 pack doesn't cut it if you plan on towing with it. 100 will be the absolutely bare minimum, IHMO. I really don't think it is much of a secret that Tesla would be planning on bringing out bigger batteries eventually, I mean Elon said as much when unveiling the 90. The only question was what the exact size would be. 'Around 100' would have been an obvious guess for the next size. The next one up from that will be around 110 or 120.

But if Tesla made this into a bigger deal, then they just got caught by the Streisand effect. They could have just ignored it, or said the 100 was just a placeholder and engineers hadn't finalized the size yet.

Didn't Elon already say battery upgrade will come every 2~3 years? And oweners can always upgrade their pack at a cost but he doesn't think every owner will need to upgrade every time. I'm glad wk got his 3 minutes of fame and Tesla learned a lesson but this event changed absolutely nothing about what we already know about this whole battery thing.

Exactly. Tesla's SOP is very sloppy. I understand they are doing great things, but not fully thinking these things through before implementation. I can't wait until winter next year and hearing about how many furious MX owners there will be with rear doors that are frozen shut, or having snow dumped on them when entering the rear doors among other issues. It's almost as if people are afraid to questions Elon's ideas.

The one thing that confuses me is that Tesla would leave Sig owners of the X with cars that are obsolete just 5 months after the announcement... oh wait, nah, that sounds like Tesla SOP to me.

Exactly. Tesla's SOP is very sloppy. I understand they are doing great things, but not fully thinking these things through before implementation. I can't wait until winter next year and hearing about how many furious MX owners there will be with rear doors that are frozen shut, or having snow dumped on them when entering the rear doors among other issues. It's almost as if people are afraid to questions Elon's ideas.

People need to take personal responsibility, too. If you buy a vehicle with doors that open upward, you're going to need to remove snow before using the doors. This should be common sense.

Tesla has made it clear that they are always improving and not waiting for cycle refreshes or model years to implement or update features. Any time you buy a Tesla, there will always be something new on the horizon. The buyer has to make the choice of what is good enough at the right time and cost.

I certainly won't be talking about ea0890697a77af0a2e054cccec587c8a42feb5cf38e778c6c6e2a96bfb945c0b, or bb0347a468d97e98a9c00e37cebec1ab930f6f1221cae0f1fbb92b07e1900ba2, and especially not 3c01eba119e00d79c82b6f65d70bc5f1044d568618bf41377e6d1432023fc2b8. ;)

So the model 3 is going to have a metal grill, 2 fake exhaust pipes and produce ICE sounds to help the masses migrate to EV's.

I think a lot of people are really over reacting to this whole thing. The discovery and publication of the P100D was nothing. Just read Macrumors for a bit to get an idea of just what a nit this was. wk did a good job on finding it. Perhaps not so good with the wording of his first tweet but that's life. Not a biggie.

Tesla moved somewhat quickly to do what they could to protect themselves from more sensitive stuff being published. They could have been a bit more elegant from a PR standpoint with a wink tweet or something to say we see you, we're pulling our pants up, you'll be back on with updates in a day or so once we get ourselves together. But not really such a big deal.

Also, keep in mind that some of the software folks are already a bit sensitive that they've still not been able to produce a Nav / Trip Planner as good as a high school kid did over a year ago.

Last edited:
It is always possible someone in the IT department decided to mess with you because they could and this had nothing to do with any direction from the top. A company is still responsible for the actions of its employees though.

My understanding of the law is that generally an employer is only vicariously liable for the acts of their employees, negligent or otherwise, is if the act done was within the scope and authority of their employment. It may be that this was a rogue employee who acted on his own accord and outside of his authority. As such Tesla, may not be liable. That's just my personal opinion though regarding the application of the law.

.............. There are a lot of people on this forum who keep a lot of information confidential. Only an fyi.

For instance, I'm guessing a large number of EAP participants are here on the forum daily. Yet we don't know who they are. They see the new features weeks, sometimes months, before the rest of us & we don't know about those (unless they leak & then they're no longer in the EAP). They do a lot of work for the rest of us and don't talk about it publicly. A lot of bugs are found because of these folks and your car is safer and more reliable because of them.

Tesla rewards the bug finders publicly. EAP participants contribute quietly in the background, without asking for recognition. Maybe we could show a little appreciation for those folks?

To be clear, it's not about wk vs. the EAP participants. I'm only attempting to point out that he's hardly the only one with confidential information at any given time, since you seem to think wk isn't getting his proper recognition. There are a lot of folks you're ignoring who get zero recognition and are fine with that.

(And EAP participants are only one group who hold confidential information. There are posters here who have vendor relationships and honor the NDAs that they signed. There are other posters here with close family members inside Tesla & you'd never know it because they post zero hints towards what is coming. Just examples. Many more. )

Thanks for pointing out, bonnie, well said. Lets contribute a little to correcting that mistake.

Thank you all the quiet ones that do all sorts of work that is often not public, unrecognized and you keep doing it despite never getting due recognition for it. You are making a difference and there are people that appreciate all contributions based on their merit, regardless of the trumpeting or the lack of it.

Here's what Barbara Bush had to say on the subject of recognition, it might fit in well in this and similar threads:

Give the other guy credit. Nobody likes a braggadocio. Don't talk about yourself all the time.

Last edited: