Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's response to me leaking info about the P100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
--------------------------

12.13.77 still has charging issues. I ran a test today at 42 amps and used my iPhone to create a video. The charging amps increased to 21 amps and stayed their for 30 seconds until it increased slowly to 42 amps. It stopped twice for about 5 seconds before reaching 42 amps. I did not get the charging cable fault today.

I sent sent the video to the SC today and talked to one of the service advisors a couple of times. He told me that one of his technicians told him that this may be normal for this version of software. I told him that I have 12,000 miles on my MS and that prior to installing 2.12.126 that I had never had this problem.

The Tesla software engineers are going to need to fix this in a new software release. I just read that their is a new version available so hopefully this will resolve my charging issue.

There has always been a bit of a pause at the point where the first charger reaches the level it will charge at before the second charger starts charging too. I haven't paid enough attention to notice if this pause is longer now or not, but even if it is, it doesn't sound like this would be anything that would need to be "fixed." There may be a good reason why it is happening, and even if there isn't and it is a bug, if all it does is cause charges to take 30 seconds to a minute longer, who cares?

If this is your only charging concern with 12.13.77, I think you're in good shape.

So why doesn't Linus Torvalds have a Tesla? Or maybe he does and he's reading this with great amusement. This has been a very entertaining (if not wildly off topic) thread to read though it is now 3 AM here and my eyes are burning out of my sockets.

So why doesn't Linus Torvalds have a Tesla? Or maybe he does and he's reading this with great amusement. This has been a very entertaining (if not wildly off topic) thread to read though it is now 3 AM here and my eyes are burning out of my sockets.

How could he afford one - you know with Linux being free, open source and all that? ;)

All I've heard about is his yellow Mercedes SLK. He did an interview in his house with Oregon Live https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuS-3HSnpq4 Though the story was from 2014, so he may have traded it in by now. According to stories, both his car and house are yellow. Considering how eccentric Portland is, his neighbors probably don't care. From the video, it looks like he really fits in here in Portland. Portlandia is only mildly fictionalized...

Amusingly, this came up in the other (more or less on-topic) Linux thread. Dirk said:

He drives a 13 year old AMG SLK Mercedes. He has driven both my Model S 60 and my P85D but he really really prefers convertibles. I tried to interest him in a Roadster but he was very disappointed with the fit and finish when he sat in one (and his wife isn't thrilled with the safety concerns around the roadster).

Just reading the posts in this topic. It's funny how people don't understand that if something is unencrypted and on a piece of hardware that you own, then "releasing" it is not wrong. It can't be wrong because the information has already been "released" by the matter of fact of putting it on the hardware. Tesla cannot modify things owned by other people without the owners consent. It's flatly illegal for them to do so. It's only by the good graces of the current Tesla hackers that they haven't filed a lawsuit against Tesla for doing so. They should immediately cease and desist from doing that ever again. Luckily it looks like it was an accident according to Elon. wk057 was never in the slightest in the wrong and Tesla was very strongly in the wrong with the actions they took.

Just reading the posts in this topic. It's funny how people don't understand that if something is unencrypted and on a piece of hardware that you own, then "releasing" it is not wrong. It can't be wrong because the information has already been "released" by the matter of fact of putting it on the hardware. Tesla cannot modify things owned by other people without the owners consent. It's flatly illegal for them to do so. It's only by the good graces of the current Tesla hackers that they haven't filed a lawsuit against Tesla for doing so. They should immediately cease and desist from doing that ever again. Luckily it looks like it was an accident according to Elon. wk057 was never in the slightest in the wrong and Tesla was very strongly in the wrong with the actions they took.
It is not this simple. There are also copyright, patent, and licensing considerations to take into account. If you are an intellectual property lawyer and have a legit basis for this statement, please provide support/citations. Otherwise you are simply stating an opinion as if it were fact.

I don't understand all of the hand wringing going on here. Apple fans routinely discuss references to unreleased models and features they dig up in iOS. Many beans have been spilled this way. I don't understand why you wouldn't put the information out there. You don't work for Tesla, you don't owe them any secrecy. It's your car, do with it as you please. Writing an email apologizing to Tesla for releasing information that you found in their software isn't something I would have done, let's leave it at that.

I don't understand all of the hand wringing going on here. Apple fans routinely discuss references to unreleased models and features they dig up in iOS. Many beans have been spilled this way. I don't understand why you wouldn't put the information out there..

I'm guessing that the consensus argument is that releasing the info may generate a lull in MS sales, and if you didn't want to harm Tesla, you wouldn't do that.

I'm guessing that the consensus argument is that releasing the info may generate a lull in MS sales, and if you didn't want to harm Tesla, you wouldn't do that.
Well yes, that much is obvious.

It’s also obvious that leaking the information was not intentional.

Missing that the one-directional nature of hashing wouldn't apply to an unsalted short string was an (atypical) mistake from wk, not any sign of ill intent or recklessness.
He apologised. People apologise when they think they did something wrong.
People apologise when they make a mistake that adversely affects others.

The "others" in this case no doubt include the software developers who may be getting a hard time for putting sensitive information somewhere it never should've been.

The "others" in this case no doubt include the software developers who may be getting a hard time for putting sensitive information somewhere it never should've been.

I would think the software developers involved in the retaliatory efforts to rollback the car are rightfully getting a hard time for unethical IT practices, explicitly the roll-back without the owner's permission.

Relying on "technical knowledge" as a security checkpoint against sensitive information was unwise but not really unethical... just poor judgement.

Cmon, it was an unnecessary tease to tweet the hash string. Begging to be cracked. Not an entirely innocent act. They made peace... Why does this discussion persist?

This might have been restarted by somebody who started reading the thread, but didn't read all 26 pages before replying.

It did look bad there for a bit, but the issue was resolved.