Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Ridiculous Customer Service for Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get it but that seems like THEIR problem. There are many ways of smoothing out the supply/demand issue without resorting to a “take it or leave it” approach.

Yes it is their problem.

When they leased those buildings, they were a much smaller company. Building leases usually run 3 to 5 years (sometimes 10 years). So they get stuck with a certain number of parking spaces. It is not easy to change. They may have to move to another location - all the while continuing to deliver cars at higher and higher numbers.

Tesla probably was surprised by the success and volume of these car sales. They are clearly strained by this.

I’m not saying that it might not have to come to that but they definitely haven’t tried hard enough. The short lead-time between notice and pick-up window isn’t workable for most people with crammed work calendars. We all gotta be somewhere else too, ya know. Respect goes both ways.

If you have ever dealt with the public, you will be familiar with people showing up late for appointments, changing them at the last minute, not answering calls, email or texts. And simply not showing up at all when they said they would. Or coming in with out the required paperwork (insurance, payments). It is pretty shocking.

My guess is the employees are absolutely exhausted at the end of each day. They probably can not do more than they are now. I've seen this before, firsthand (in another industry).

Eventually this will get fixed. But if you want this car (as many of us do), you will need to play the game their way for now.

I personally am blocking off my calendar for the next 2 weeks just in case I get that text message. Just kidding.. What is funny is that the car is for my wife.. not me. I am waiting for the hype to die down for the C8 Vette, so I can buy one.
The C8 markup is probably ridiculous, with that being said, that thing is a beast. After the Model 3, that’s differently a car I’ll want to look at. I’ve got three cars in mind for the future and the C8 is quite high-up my list.

Last edited:
Yes it is their problem.

When they leased those buildings, they were a much smaller company. Building leases usually run 3 to 5 years (sometimes 10 years). So they get stuck with a certain number of parking spaces. It is not easy to change. They may have to move to another location - all the while continuing to deliver cars at higher and higher numbers.

Tesla probably was surprised by the success and volume of these car sales. They are clearly strained by this.

If you have ever dealt with the public, you will be familiar with people showing up late for appointments, changing them at the last minute, not answering calls, email or texts. And simply not showing up at all when they said they would. Or coming in with out the required paperwork (insurance, payments). It is pretty shocking.

My guess is the employees are absolutely exhausted at the end of each day. They probably can not do more than they are now. I've seen this before, firsthand (in another industry).

Eventually this will get fixed. But if you want this car (as many of us do), you will need to play the game their way for now.

I have dealt with the public. Yes, technically the employees are responsible for their actions but this is actually a *management* issue. Too much work, poor interactions are rewarded, etc. It’s not the staff’s fault, but the bottom line is that some of them really come across as a-holes. Since this has been going on for years, I can’t agree that they (management) are surprised.

Yes, technically the employees are responsible for their actions but this is actually a *management* issue. Too much work, poor interactions are rewarded, etc. It’s not the staff’s fault, but the bottom line is that some of them really come across as a-holes.

What experience did you have? So far, all my interactions with Tesla staff have been excellent. I would put their people skill level in the top 10% of customer service (that I have experienced over 40 years).

Since this has been going on for years, I can’t agree that they (management) are surprised.

What I meant by "surprised" was the huge sales numbers. Perhaps they planned for a slower ramp up - setting up smaller service centers (with fewer parking spaces). As a result of the higher sales volume, Tesla has to move more cars through - which requires tight scheduling with customers. This inflexibility has clearly made some customers angry. Pick up the car or lose it....

Customers are used to the car dealerships, where they can come in late, cancel appointments, re-schedule at the last minute. That doesn't work well with Tesla's tightly scheduled delivery system.

What experience did you have? So far, all my interactions with Tesla staff have been excellent. I would put their people skill level in the top 10% of customer service (that I have experienced over 40 years).

What I meant by "surprised" was the huge sales numbers. Perhaps they planned for a slower ramp up - setting up smaller service centers (with fewer parking spaces). As a result of the higher sales volume, Tesla has to move more cars through - which requires tight scheduling with customers. This inflexibility has clearly made some customers angry. Pick up the car or lose it....

Customers are used to the car dealerships, where they can come in late, cancel appointments, re-schedule at the last minute. That doesn't work well with Tesla's tightly scheduled delivery system.

They're great in person, but (my advisor) is not very responsive via email/text, which is ironic considering they expect you to upend your life on short notice to give them $40-50K+. Sure, they sell cars faster than they make them, but that doesn't mean their attitude is top 10%. I've also had 40+ years of experience with customer service folks, and they're *not* top 10%, especially if I'm forking over $40-50k. In fact, for that kind of money, they're almost the worst. Anyone want to buy a house using buyer's agent who treats you this way?

I'm certainly quite motivated to buy a Tesla and I'm extremely excited to go pick mine up at the end of the month, but some level of respect for other people's time would go a long way. "Take it or leave it" - I get for emergency, life-saving surgery. Picking up a car at a randomly dictated time when you could have pre-arranged that with me? There are many ways to work the logistics for a smooth supply chain that involve earlier coordination with the customer.

That said, I'll still go pick mine up at the appointed time...I'm in this for the car, after all, not their emails. But it doesn't mean I have to like the way it's handled.

I'm certainly quite motivated to buy a Tesla and I'm extremely excited to go pick mine up at the end of the month, but some level of respect for other people's time would go a long way. "Take it or leave it" - I get for emergency, life-saving surgery. Picking up a car at a randomly dictated time when you could have pre-arranged that with me?

Did you not get a 2 week notice before delivery where could pick the pickup day and time?

This was my experience. I could pick any of 3 days that were 2 weeks away. I think Michelle (from ohio) had the exact same experience with scheduling the pickup. It was effortless and easy.

I would think Tesla would handle everyone the same. Didn't you get his option? Or did tesla dictate the date you had to pick up the car - no choice on your part?

If you don't respond (by picking a delivery time), then someone else gets those delivery times. You still keep your vin, you just get a later pickup date. If you are still unable to pick up the car, they give the car (with your vin) to someone that can it pick up.

Tesla does not have huge parking space for new cars - when they come in, they must go out immediately to make room for the next batch of cars. Tesla simply does not have the option of letting cars sit for days, waiting for a buyer to come by.

I think many of us are programmed how dealerships have the cars on the lot, ready to go. They have been sitting there for months. We can choose whenever we want to pick one up.

Tesla is a violent growth mode. They sell out all the cars before they are even built. This won't last forever. Eventually they will fix this issue.
That's true about the tiny lots. The Tesla dealership I'm picking up at has hardly any room for public to park their cars to look at the vehicles. Makes sense.

Did you not get a 2 week notice before delivery where could pick the pickup day and time?

This was my experience. I could pick any of 3 days that were 2 weeks away. I think Michelle (from ohio) had the exact same experience with scheduling the pickup. It was effortless and easy.

I would think Tesla would handle everyone the same. Didn't you get his option? Or did tesla dictate the date you had to pick up the car - no choice on your part?
Actually, I didn't notice whether it was a window; I saw "September 10", which was fine by me, so I didn't look for any other dates. And you are right in that it was two weeks away (actually 15 days), as well as effortless and easy.

I received the same text, I had 3 days to choose from 2-weeks in advance ofcourse over excited me picked day one first appointment may regret it later if the car doesn't arrive on time but that's life.

No, I noticed my VIN in the MVPA, sent an email to my advisor. He just unilaterally setup an appointment in the system. It IS for the 29th but his email implied he’d move it around as he saw fit. I was probably more pissed yesterday evening, to be honest. Written communications are harder, and frankly yesterday was a tough day @ work so I was probably not in the best frame of mind.

I'm guessing you're picking up from Tyco SC in Vienna. As I will be doing so in late September could you tell me what the delivery team communicated for your pickup. Lead time, amount of days to pickup, choices for specific time slots? Thanks

yep. Tyco SC. 9/29, late afternoon. Again, I’m less upset today since it’s that far out and there is time for more back and forth... I was just (clearly) not in the best mood yesterday to get something so short.

did you get anything from them?

Last edited:
No, I noticed my VIN in the MVPA, sent an email to my advisor. He just unilaterally setup an appointment in the system. It IS for the 29th but his email implied he’d move it around as he saw fit. I was probably more pissed yesterday evening, to be honest. Written communications are harder, and frankly yesterday was a tough day @ work so I was probably not in the best frame of mind.

yep. Tyco SC. 9/29, late afternoon. Again, I’m less upset today since it’s that far out and there is time for more back and forth... I was just (clearly) not in the best mood yesterday to get something so short.

did you get anything from them?

I have a tentative date of 9/29 from my SA. He wasn't definite, he mentioned that I'd hear from the delivery team. We might be on the same day but I still haven't received a text from Tesla on a date but it seems I'll definitely be end of month.

I was originally scheduled for pick up on the 16th. My SA e-mailed and stated the car is coming 2 days early on the Sunday 13th. I called and set up an appointment for the 14th and they asked me what time works best. After I got off the phone I realized I had multiple events on the calendar. Called again to reschedule the time I had just set and was told it would not be an issue. I have had great customer service this entire order experience. My wife has a Mercedes GLB on order and we both feel you get much better updates with Tesla.

Reactions: valaeyron
I was originally scheduled for pick up on the 16th. My SA e-mailed and stated the car is coming 2 days early on the Sunday 13th. I called and set up an appointment for the 14th and they asked me what time works best. After I got off the phone I realized I had multiple events on the calendar. Called again to reschedule the time I had just set and was told it would not be an issue. I have had great customer service this entire order experience. My wife has a Mercedes GLB on order and we both feel you get much better updates with Tesla.

Hearing that makes me feel better!

Yup I also had 2 days to pick 2 weeks in advance when I was able to schedule my delivery

Nope. Tesla's first text promised delivery in a few hour window last Dec. 26, no parking area needed, and they quietly flaked out and sent it somewhere else. Second MVPA w/VIN went where? Another text promised the third MVPA w/VIN on Dec. 31 outside the Fremont factory (with a crowd), and a phone call said to come once they said it was ready, which didn't happen. When I called 3 days later, they located the car at the factory and got it delivered within hours. Rebate lost. Fortunately I still had my old car.

Status
Not open for further replies.