Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s Roadster Prototype Seen Broken Down in Malibu

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla’s Chief Designer Franz von Holzhausen took the next-generation Tesla Roadster prototype out Friday for an “afternoon cruise,” but the car stalled on the side of the road.

Von Holzhausen posted a photo Friday of himself behind the wheel of the car Tesla CEO Elon Musk says will “give a hardcore smackdown to gasoline cars.”

The car, however, broke down in the middle of a Malibu street. And, TMC member Cfinck managed to capture a few photos of the striking sports car. The photos show the wheels chocked and Cfinck said wheel dollies were being used to move the car to the curb.

“Not too sure what happened, but I assume there have to be kinks to fix due to it being 3 years out from production lol. Still a dang good lookin car!” Cfinck commented in his TMC post.

img_0857-jpg.271135

img_0858-jpg.271136

Production for the new Roadster isn’t scheduled to start until 2020. You can reserve one now for $50,000 towards the $200,000 base price. Tesla says the base model will do 0-60 in 1.9 seconds, making it the first production vehicle to crack two-seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
but it seems odd to me to build a prototype with no wipers and no apparent space for them to be added later.

It also has no side window seals to allow the windows to go up and down, or side mirrors / side camera pods, or external door handles, or ...

With this in mind, to me it looks more like a one off "design intent" mock up built on top of a prototype drive train.

Hopefully once the practicalities of engineering this into an actual usable car, the design can stay as close to this as possible, but it will have to have subtle changes.