Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Self-Driving Beta Fleet Is Generating An Immense Amount Of Data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
Tesla is certainly taking a unique approach to self-driving tech, and it appears to be highly data-driven. Tesla has been under the microscope and heavily scrutinized for years over its Autopilot advanced driver-assist system. This is due in part to the fact that Tesla is doing things very differently than other companies. It’s not using LIDAR and it...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/10/26/tesla-full-self-driving-beta-generating-reams-data/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

• Informative
Reactions: shrineofchance
Being data collection driven is very AI/ML orientated. It is not unusual for 60-70% of the time in creating an ML model being spent is getting, cleaning, and modifying the data. And high-quality data can be sold for many millions. I wonder if selling functional AutoPilot components and systems to other companies is part of Tesla's future revenue stream.

Last edited:
That, and their charging network - I'm really surprised another manufacturer hasn't skipped trying to do their own network and piggybacked on Tesla's. Seems like this car making thing could be just to get the other revenue streams off the ground. Like Google and any one of their apps - it's really just a Trojan horse for ad revenue.

Being data collection driven is very AI/ML orientated. It is not unusual for 60-70% of the time in creating an ML model being spent is getting, cleaning, and modifying the data. And high-quality data can be sold for many millions. I wonder if selling functional AutoPilot components and systems to other companies is part of Tesla's future revenue stream.

This aspect flies under the radar. There's a lot of money in selling data. Tesla is going to make a F ton of money just on FSD tech/data if/when they crack it.

That, and their charging network - I'm really surprised another manufacturer hasn't skipped trying to do their own network and piggybacked on Tesla's. Seems like this car making thing could be just to get the other revenue streams off the ground. Like Google and any one of their apps - it's really just a Trojan horse for ad revenue.

Small correction. Data is at the heart of Google's Ad revenue. Without the data about us, they cannot build models and services that target customers' tastes in real-time, and then sell high-return ad placements to companies.