Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Software To-Do List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Put the outside temperature back on the main touchscreen and not just on the dash display. This little thing has really annoyed my wife because she can't see the dash display from the passenger side.
Having the Temp displayed in both places would be great. She is so annoyed about this she wanted me to call Tesla and complain about it! Little things to keep the misses happy, come on guys help me out here!

Wordwrap lines such as titles on the entertainment displays. As it is now, particularly for things like TED talks, so much screen space is wasted that the titles of the individual entries are often cut off.

20160306_132946.jpg

Reactions: vdiv
If they did not do this, would the "buttons" not be too small to push while driving?

I believe there is more than sufficient space within the text area. No need to movie or adjust the size of buttons. Of course, it would make it look more cluttered. But that is only for those tracks that have long names or long artist name(s).

By the way, in my request, I also mentioned left-right scrolling/scrollable name, as an alternative.

Reactions: vdiv
I believe there is more than sufficient space within the text area. No need to movie or adjust the size of buttons. Of course, it would make it look more cluttered. But that is only for those tracks that have long names or long artist name(s).

By the way, in my request, I also mentioned left-right scrolling/scrollable name, as an alternative.
My apologies. I completely misread the request. You are asking for wrapped text to appear. I thought you were asking for it to go away. That would make the rows thinner, which would not, as the default height is as shown on the left side of the screen. Yes, I agree. There is room to wrap text to the next line and that would be very helpful, and an easy fix.

I took the recommendation of suggestions from this site and created an exit profile that moves the drivers seat back and raises the steering wheel for easier exit. Seems to me that programming 101 would suggest that these two actions should happen in parallel. Today the seat moves back then the steering wheel goes up. Shouldn't be that tough.

I took the recommendation of suggestions from this site and created an exit profile that moves the drivers seat back and raises the steering wheel for easier exit. Seems to me that programming 101 would suggest that these two actions should happen in parallel. Today the seat moves back then the steering wheel goes up. Shouldn't be that tough.
Perhaps off-topic for this particular thread... but I agree with you that logically, both things could happen simultaneously -- they did in my other former luxury vehicles. What we don't know is if Tesla didn't think about this refinement, or perhaps there is intent in their design, e.g. to not use too much power for some reason at the same time. We'll never quite know here unless we see the "in parallel" improvement one day.

I have a few things that I wish could be implented to make the Model S even better than it is:

1) I typically have on the dash the energy display up (on the right) and while it almost copies everything you can get from the Consumption window on the touchscreen, it leaves of a vital piece of info: Projected miles. If they could just put that small bit of info on the dash as well, it would free up my touchscreen (I have typically left bottom half on the energy consumption window just to get the projected miles left which I find is way more useful than rated energy miles left currently on the dash).

2) Is there an easier way to open the trunk? When I get home from groceries and I park the car I have to: 1) touch the control panel 2) press the unlock button to activate the trunk icon and then 3) press the trunk button for it to open.

3) I agree with the Navigation suggestions: a) Waypoints crucial b) would be nice if have several places want to go, can input all addresses and navigation figures out most efficient route to hit everything c) option for how you want route calculated (speed/time vs battery efficiency)

2) Is there an easier way to open the trunk? When I get home from groceries and I park the car I have to: 1) touch the control panel 2) press the unlock button to activate the trunk icon and then 3) press the trunk button for it to open.
I'm probably stating the obvious here, but you could press the button in the trunk handle, or you could use the keyfob. I always use one of those two over doing it from the center console.

• Helpful
Reactions: Andyw2100
I'm probably stating the obvious here, but you could press the button in the trunk handle, or you could use the keyfob. I always use one of those two over doing it from the center console.

LOL. Yes those are 2 options I knew of (FOB usually in pocket and never comes out so not an elegant solution) and usually in past have trunk open while in car (I know I'm going back there anyway to unload groceries, but I could think of instances where I would still be in car and want trunk open for someone else). Would be nice to have a direct icon to have trunk pop open without the additional steps

Great job, BertL, in both putting this together and trying to maintain discipline to this thread.
OK, here is one my old Infiniti had, and I'm sure half a dozen others have: A "favorite" caller list. Right now when you click on the steering wheel to make a call, you get the choice of either pulling up your contact list (ughhhh, 2000 names) or your "recent" calls. Other cars allow you to program in your five (or whatever) "favorites" for faster selection, like my iPhone does. These could either appear directly in the menu with "Contacts" and "Recent" or, second best, you would see "Favorites" in that menu and have to click down a menu to get to your list. Better yet, voice command, "Call Favorites Joanna", so I don't see and have to pick from every joanna in my phone book -- it just calls my one favorite joanna immediately.

I have a number of software gripes - good thread, let's hope it is read and actioned.

I agree re the phone system. I too have many contacts, need a search facility urgently for calls to be made from car.

In addition a Favourites list. [My workaround is to name contacts say *Home, *Jon and *Rob in my phone contacts, this means they show up in the MS phone list under the # tab and the end of the alphabet.

I would like to plug in my ipod by USB and then control the phone as I could do on my previous Lexus, Jaguar and BMW. I know there are workarounds but like so many people here, we have the music but we like we cannot access it easily, in playlists, in the car.

You would think these ideas can be programmed by people who know the automotive software business.

I will think of more.

Tony

After waiting in a line of hundreds of people in L.A. to reserve a Model 3, watching the launch video and now seeing the unreal number of people reserve it (250K+ and growing) - I now think there is little hope that all these software detail fixes and refinements y'all are hoping for will actually happen.

I am glad I like my 70D enough the way it is to not be unhappy.

I think all Tesla's efforts from here forward are going to be refining Autopilot reliability on poorly marked roads, building the next generation of autonomous driving hardware/software - and figuring out how the hell to ramp Model 3 production.

The detailed refinements and small glitch fixes so many here want for their Model S's? I seriously doubt it's gonna happen now that we know where Tesla's big focus is going for the future.

I think all Tesla's efforts from here forward are going to be refining Autopilot reliability on poorly marked roads, building the next generation of autonomous driving hardware/software - and figuring out how the hell to ramp Model 3 production.

The detailed refinements and small glitch fixes so many here want for their Model S's? I seriously doubt it's gonna happen now that we know where Tesla's big focus is going for the future.

Let's just hope Elon Musk is familiar with the saying, "You've gotta dance with the one that brung ya'."

I'm betting that he is.

Reactions: msnow
Did we mention "gapless playback" of audio? So that we can listen to radio plays (like Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy), Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, Sergeant Pepper, etc.? Without "stuttering"?

Well, I'm going to mention it again. It should have been done four years ago. It is a *basic feature* of any audio program. Like "audacious", which is available for free use by Tesla provided they remember to distribute the copyright notice with the car. (Yes, that's the only requirement. Of course, given the history Tesla has with this, this may prove too difficult for the losers in Tesla's legal department.)

I reported this to Tesla back in February or March of 2013. Reported it again several times over 2014 and 2015.

I reported this to Tesla back in February or March of 2013. Reported it again several times over 2014 and 2015.

Every time I send a suggestion to Tesla, which is at least 2x a quarter, I tack this on to the message. Also mention it every time I'm at the service center. I guess they don't care about an essential feature that has been in every media player since the 90s.