Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's "solar roof" Event - Hosted at Universal Studios

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1206.JPG

This is really awesome

---

There we go.

Stream is worse than Model 3 launch.
Click "HD" in lower right and select a resolution. I'm getting perfect HD straight from tesla.com site.

---

The Hollywood crowd is more star focused and less engineering and product focused. Their cheers seemed subdued compared to what I liked. But, they will be a good seed crowd of people who see what these things look like in person, and be able to start purchasing it when it comes available. In terms of product introduction, it's perfect. It will be an infectious desire with time. It's almost as if they're setting the stage for the future without trying to tip the scales today, because today is preparing for growth to that goal.

I think after the awful Q&A session in Mexico, Elon tried to get ultra-mature people in this audience. If they had swapped that strategy (ultra-mature for Mars and younger enthusiastic for the solar roof), then the Q&A would have been better and the cheers for this would have been better. But, in each case, the presentation wasn't to people who already know what is needed; instead, it is to the very people who will become interested in it in the first place. For Mars, it was the younger crowd who wanted to go to Mars, maybe, or at least facilitate it. For the solar roof, it is the older people who own a home and are ready to buy a solar roof that will be an early market. Moving into a new product line is about bringing to market things that people aren't used to yet.

---

It ended. Almost no specifics were given. Todd Burch posted below with similar questions to mine.

Last edited:
Looks nice, but the presentation was lacking a lot of info that could have been shared.

How much power are those roofs generating?

Cost?

How much better is the insulation?

How many Powerwalls do you need to truly be self-sustainable in various climates (sunny Arizona vs. cloudy Alaska, etc.)

Reactions: Ulmo
The french slate looked awesome. The Tuscan tile looks like it might have issues. Tuscan tile roofs were always going to be hard to do. The biggest issue I see with Tesla's offering is cell module density. To make it look good, you are only using a small fraction of the roof area for the solar cells.

Would be nice to have pricing and availability!

Reactions: Alketi
Makes my current solar panels feel like AP1 . . .

Would like to see some detailed pricing.
There ya go. Pricing.

Solar City is high.

I would love to purchase them outright however it looks like each tile is one solar cell. That's a lot more sparse than a conventional solar panel. There will be a lot of space between the cells thereby resulting in a lot fewer solar cells on the roof.

It looks great though.

I have to admit, this "reveal" had less in it than I was expecting.

Roof tech certainly looked very nice. I was hoping they'd show some of the electrical hookups, even if only via a slide in the deck.

"Cheaper and more damage resistant than a conventional roof." I note that "conventional" in the USA means asphalt shingles, but asphalt shingles appeared to be missing from Elon's summary of current roof technologies.

I don't doubt that this system will be better than tiles and slates, but cheaper than asphalt?

Reactions: SΞXY P100D