TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla's "solar roof" Event - Hosted at Universal Studios

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by AssortedBread, Oct 24, 2016.

1. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Member

IMG_1206.JPG

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  2. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

For some reason the stream from Inside EVs is better

3. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

#63 Ulmo, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    This is really awesome

---

Click "HD" in lower right and select a resolution. I'm getting perfect HD straight from tesla.com site.

---

The Hollywood crowd is more star focused and less engineering and product focused. Their cheers seemed subdued compared to what I liked. But, they will be a good seed crowd of people who see what these things look like in person, and be able to start purchasing it when it comes available. In terms of product introduction, it's perfect. It will be an infectious desire with time. It's almost as if they're setting the stage for the future without trying to tip the scales today, because today is preparing for growth to that goal.

I think after the awful Q&A session in Mexico, Elon tried to get ultra-mature people in this audience. If they had swapped that strategy (ultra-mature for Mars and younger enthusiastic for the solar roof), then the Q&A would have been better and the cheers for this would have been better. But, in each case, the presentation wasn't to people who already know what is needed; instead, it is to the very people who will become interested in it in the first place. For Mars, it was the younger crowd who wanted to go to Mars, maybe, or at least facilitate it. For the solar roof, it is the older people who own a home and are ready to buy a solar roof that will be an early market. Moving into a new product line is about bringing to market things that people aren't used to yet.

---

It ended. Almost no specifics were given. Todd Burch posted below with similar questions to mine.

4. jgillispie

jgillispie Member

They look really nice. Better than regular shingles for sure.

5. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

Makes my current solar panels feel like AP1 . . .

Would like to see some detailed pricing.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. jgillispie

jgillispie Member

Prototype 3 at the one house.

• Love x 1
  7. jgillispie

jgillispie Member

So are there any hard numbers yet on energy produced per sq ft?

8. Mkorpal

Mkorpal Member

Way too many questions? How much. How much energy? How easy to install? How soon?

9. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

Looks nice, but the presentation was lacking a lot of info that could have been shared.

How much power are those roofs generating?

Cost?

How much better is the insulation?

How many Powerwalls do you need to truly be self-sustainable in various climates (sunny Arizona vs. cloudy Alaska, etc.)

• Like x 1
  10. number12

number12 Supporting Member

When can they take my money?

• Like x 2
  11. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

The french slate looked awesome. The Tuscan tile looks like it might have issues. Tuscan tile roofs were always going to be hard to do. The biggest issue I see with Tesla's offering is cell module density. To make it look good, you are only using a small fraction of the roof area for the solar cells.

Would be nice to have pricing and availability!

• Like x 1
  12. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

Agreed. Panel efficiency? Installation costs? Time to market?

Hopefully they will put some "meat" on these bones when the ordering on the site goes live.

13. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

There ya go. Pricing.

Solar City is high.

I would love to purchase them outright however it looks like each tile is one solar cell. That's a lot more sparse than a conventional solar panel. There will be a lot of space between the cells thereby resulting in a lot fewer solar cells on the roof.

It looks great though.

14. pmadflyer

pmadflyer Member

out of curiosity, can you still access the rest of the Tesla site during these events, or do you just have to wait? might be of importance when I get a model 3.

15. jimmyjohn

jimmyjohn Member

Feels like the presentation was created about 2 hours before the presentation.

• Like x 1
  16. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

Wow, did not expect a house with Spanish tile solar roof! VERY impressive. My wife has refused to get solar since we have Spanish tile and traditional panels would not look so good...

17. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Powerwall 2.0 is now 14kWh and 7kW peak output. (Correct?) Those solar tiles are amazing.

My Powerwall 1.0 is instantly obsolete and I am thrilled by the incredible progress Tesla Energy has made! Kudos to Elon and the entire team.

Now of course we all want more details.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  18. MartinAustin

MartinAustin I Do Not Read Electrek

I have to admit, this "reveal" had less in it than I was expecting.

Roof tech certainly looked very nice. I was hoping they'd show some of the electrical hookups, even if only via a slide in the deck.

"Cheaper and more damage resistant than a conventional roof." I note that "conventional" in the USA means asphalt shingles, but asphalt shingles appeared to be missing from Elon's summary of current roof technologies.

I don't doubt that this system will be better than tiles and slates, but cheaper than asphalt?

• Like x 1
  19. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Yes, but there's this terrifying phrase:

Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 6.06.57 PM.png

• Funny x 1
  20. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I want it now... too bad solarcity doesn't serve my area yet :(