Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Supercharger recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, although I wouldn't be surprised if that information wasn't already being sent back to Tesla in more or less real time so the only issue might be getting the information back to the car.

Not even. All cars running 6.x have access to real time data:

Model S will now automatically navigate you to your destination by integrating the best charging options into your route. As with Range Assurance, your car looks up the charging locations in realtime, so it always has the most updated list and queries the Tesla Superchargers to determine their status. Essentially, it is a big network of cars communicating dynamically with a big network of chargers.

The capability is poorly leveraged, IMO.

I actually don't think there is much of an issue here. Because of tapering, you can get to pretty much full charge rate per SOC very quickly no matter what. Remember, the paired car is also tapering so the window of exposure where you are getting less than your SOC allows, is quite small. There is also the issue of parking skill ... some folks just aren't comfortable backing in between cars or next to a concrete wall. Therefore, they do not care much about the charge rate, but care greatly about the ease of parking and not scratching your car in the next stall. :)
Let me suggest that at least one person doesn't agree with you. I want my quick charge, not shared slow(er) charge.Yes, the time adds up, particularly on longer journeys.

Last edited:
What I don't like is how the Stalls were done compared to human nature.

Guys are taught not to use the stall right next to one being used. So we'll naturally leave a space in between the stalls to give the person space.

But, Tesla is all confused.

When I pull in its 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 1B, 2B, 3B, 4B

So what happens is a mix between people who know the Tesla A/B system, and they'll park accordingly versus those that don't know the A/B system who park according to proper stall etiquette.

We wouldn't have a problem if they were

1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B, 4A, 4B

What I don't like is how the Stalls were done compared to human nature.

Guys are taught not to use the stall right next to one being used. So we'll naturally leave a space in between the stalls to give the person space.

But, Tesla is all confused.

When I pull in its 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 1B, 2B, 3B, 4B

So what happens is a mix between people who know the Tesla A/B system, and they'll park accordingly versus those that don't know the A/B system who park according to proper stall etiquette.

We wouldn't have a problem if they were

1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B, 4A, 4B

They are both ways. You just haven't been to where they are 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc., I guess. It must be dependent on how the contractor feels the day he is feeding wires into the conduits.

They are both ways. You just haven't been to where they are 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc., I guess. It must be dependent on how the contractor feels the day he is feeding wires into the conduits.
This is correct. I've seen both models. Neither one appears to be better than the other in terms of who parks where.

Don't think anything would need to be color coded. I can't see colors anyway...

Just a light of some sort on the best next charger to use. Simple and to the point.

Well, except I guess it would need to sense if someone was parked there and not plugged in...

Again, this would require new hardware. Tesla can solve this simply by upgrading the car's software. No need to get any fancier about it.

This seems simplest and best. My wife does not know what an ampere is, has no interest in understanding what it is, and will forget what it is 30 seconds after I explain it to her. I bet that the vast majority of the ordinary public is the same way. A display on the 17" screen that shows the best available stall would be much easier for her and everybody else.

This seems simplest and best. My wife does not know what an ampere is, has no interest in understanding what it is, and will forget what it is 30 seconds after I explain it to her. I bet that the vast majority of the ordinary public is the same way. A display on the 17" screen that shows the best available stall would be much easier for her and everybody else.

What is so hard to understand about it? It's one number. The higher the number, the faster it charges. But I agree it should not be at the stall, but inside the car.

The driver wants to know which stall will provide the fastest charging. Why not just provide that information?

Exactly! A simple number that shows which one is fastest does that job perfectly. The highest number is the fastest. It can be Ampere, it can be Watt, it can be whatever. Everyone who passed a driver license test will be able to read a single number and determine which one is higher :)

Exactly! A simple number that shows which one is fastest does that job perfectly. The highest number is the fastest. It can be Ampere, it can be Watt, it can be whatever. Everyone who passed a driver license test will be able to read a single number and determine which one is higher :)

Or, it can be the only number that matters--the stall number.

I get what you're after, but every engineering minute spent providing drivers superfluous information that doesnt do anything but allow a few owners to geek out is a minute lost developing things that are actually useful to all drivers.

Again, this would require new hardware. Tesla can solve this simply by upgrading the car's software. No need to get any fancier about it.
I like this idea.
At one point Elon mentioned that in the future, he would like to use the networked potential of the cars and Superchargers to direct you to chargers. If a charger was full, the nav system would route you to another station with free spots.
Telling you which charging spot to use would be a "simple" software change. They already have the information. It's just a matter of sending it to the car.
(Note: I understand that "simple" software changes are often difficult and time consuming. I'm also sure that the software team has a big long list of "simple" changes to make. However, it wouldn't hurt to put this in the queue.)

What is so hard to understand about it? It's one number. The higher the number, the faster it charges. But I agree it should not be at the stall, but inside the car.

David99, I have worked with the public since 1970 in all sorts of endeavors, from retail sales to my personal accounting practice. People forget. People do not understand or misunderstand. People fail to see the correlation between causes and effects or direct versus inverse relationships. Not everybody has a razor-sharp mind that can remember something totally outside the ordinary course of their daily lives. Undoubtedly for you, life's lessons are easy and second nature, and you do not forget or fail to comprehend regardless of the subject matter. But not everyone is cut from the same cloth, and not everyone will remember the direct relationship between a number and speed of charging, particularly for those who rarely Supercharge.

Trust me, I had customers back in the day working retail, and clients currently who just do not grasp certain things. Are these people simple? No. But they have other priorities in life, and to recall tidbits of useful information is just not that important to them. Cheers!

The ones that don't care plug in and go eat or go shopping. They come back in a half hour or hour.

The ones that care count stalls and check pairing and park and fidget while their car charges. 20 minutes later they rush out, go home, and sit and watch TV all evening. But they were faster.

At least that's how it seems to me.

What's the rush? 5 minutes makes a difference? Really? And when you get caught in traffic, what? And then you meet an old friend at the store and stop to talk. I don't believe it.

Life's too short.

The ones that don't care plug in and go eat or go shopping. They come back in a half hour or hour.

The ones that care count stalls and check pairing and park and fidget while their car charges. 20 minutes later they rush out, go home, and sit and watch TV all evening. But they were faster.

At least that's how it seems to me.

What's the rush? 5 minutes makes a difference? Really? And when you get caught in traffic, what? And then you meet an old friend at the store and stop to talk. I don't believe it.

Life's too short.

That's a very condescending attitude. It's not a 5 minute difference, easily 20+ minutes. And when you're traveling with the end goal of getting somewhere (including home), it's not necessarily to go watch TV.