Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Tire Policy. Something Doesn't Seem Right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surely, I am missing something.

My Model X came without a spare. OK, I guess, since tire changing in Tesla's world must be a breeze, and there's always a ranger nearby (hopefully).

So, after my first set of tires were replaced at 25,000 miles in July, I develop a slow leak in my right rear. I take it into my tire repair place, who find a nail. But, it turns out, if the sound-silencing barrier, which takes up most of the inner surface is punctured, the tire is toast. OK, so I call Tesla's emergency number (since its the only place I can find a person to talk to), and she tells me that Tesla does not warranty its tires.

So, $650 later, I'm asking - if this super high tech cool machine breaks down on a remote road somewhere, does a ranger arrive a day later, to find a nail in my tire and to sell me another $650 tire? Really? C'mon Elon ... is this a premium car solution?

Help!!

My Model X came without a spare. OK, I guess, since tire changing in Tesla's world must be a breeze, and there's always a ranger nearby (hopefully).

So, after my first set of tires were replaced at 25,000 miles in July, I develop a slow leak in my right rear. I take it into my tire repair place, who find a nail. But, it turns out, if the sound-silencing barrier, which takes up most of the inner surface is punctured, the tire is toast. OK, so I call Tesla's emergency number (since its the only place I can find a person to talk to), and she tells me that Tesla does not warranty its tires.

So, $650 later, I'm asking - if this super high tech cool machine breaks down on a remote road somewhere, does a ranger arrive a day later, to find a nail in my tire and to sell me another $650 tire? Really? C'mon Elon ... is this a premium car solution?

Help!!
Not true.

We too had a nail in one of our tires and Tesla also said the tire is gone.
We took it to Costco and got it patched up.
Don’t ever buy tires from Tesla.
Get those at other places.

• Informative
Reactions: Sherlo
...if the sound-silencing barrier, which takes up most of the inner surface is punctured, the tire is toast...

Whether your Model X tire is patchable or not is just like any tire that doesn't have an inner sound-silence foam (If the puncture is on the side then no. If it's in the center then yes.)

Even GM fans have instruction:

Repairing ContiSilent Tires with Quiet Foam – TechLink

Some Tesla Service Centers would do a tire puncture repair but others cite Tesla policy that they would not.

...Tesla does not warranty its tires...

Not every store (such as Tesla) that sells tires will honor tire warranty.

You need to call the tire manufacturers to see which one does and go to see them for the warranty to be honored.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Sherlo

Help!!

1) The tire shop you went to gave you bad advice. Tires with foam can be repaired. Same as regular tire rules apply, it’s just a little bit more work.

2) Where did you buy tires from. OEM tires might not include puncture warranty. But some brands or shops do. Not sure if Tesla might warranty tires you buy from them. They should. And I think they have to honor the manufactures warranty. Which may or may not include patching.

3) Did you ask Tesla to try patching. Most of the time they will. And sometimes free if charge.

4) How on earth did you get to $650 for replacing 1 tire?

Help!!

Do they not warrant the tires or do they not warrant road damage.
Tire warranty has to do with structure and wear. A foreign item inserted in the tire is something completely different.

Do they not warrant the tires or do they not warrant road damage.
Tire warranty has to do with structure and wear. A foreign item inserted in the tire is something completely different.

As stated above, some shops will honor a tire warranty but Tesla does not.

Tesla Model X is usually with Contisilence and it does cover:

"When an eligible tire has a road hazard condition during the first 2/32nds of an inch (1.6 mm) of treadwear or first 12 months from date of purchase, whichever comes first, the tire will be replaced with a comparable** Continental brand tire free of charge. A road hazard condition is defined as a cut, snag, puncture, bruise, or impact break."

So an owner of Contisilence tires needs to read its warranty and call the company so they can direct you to which shops that would honor the warranty including "cut, snag, puncture, bruise, or impact break."

Help!!

Pirelli All Season Verde at Tire Discount. 65K warranty. $220 ea. Ditch the scummy Continental. Useless, dangerous, worthless tires.
Revisited Tesla service with 1250 miles on my MX and the tires all read 7. Warning to all taking new deliveries. Check your tread!!!