Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas to show side cameras when backing up. Yes!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you pull in forward to a stall, you can load heavy objects from rear like trucks and SUVs can. You seem to be thinking loading docks. You can't load a Tesla with a forklift, which is a drawback not a feature. Yes, a 200lb part is better handled with tools than muscle.

Personally if I'm planning to load something especially large/heavy I picked up someplace I'd plan to pull up to the curb and load it, rather than hauling it out to the regular parking lot to do so- regardless of the type of alerts my SUV had.

If my 2020 MX 2012.12.5 has front pedestrian alert, it hides it well. My other cars give warnings the Tesla does not. I know for a FACT one of my cars will slam the brakes to floor to stop from hitting a pedestrian. But they all give warnings of potential threats.

It doesn't have an alert-(well, it kinda does if there's one actually directly in your path it shows on the screen)- but it does have slamming the brakes to stop you from hitting one.... (which seems the more important of the two)

W
Please don't quote Electrek. It's worse than quoting a TV commercial. I have physically been in a car that nailed the brakes for a pedestrian. Seatbelt bruising style stop.

Uh- the elektek story was literally a video from tesla themselves showing (among many other things) the car stopping for pedestrians.

Not sure why you think that's not a valid source.

It also mentioned/linked to European safety testing of teslas on that exact topic.

Some of their stories are certainly crap- this was not one of em.

But if it really offends you here's the direct link to the video alone-

The B-pillar has forward facing cameras, the blinkers rear facing cameras and the windshield has 3 different cameras.
All camera's have overlapping vision. Definitely enough for FSD.
You as a driver are sitting 0.5 meter if not more behind those cameras and you do not have *any* issue with adjacent streets do you?
That can *only* be a problem if your speed is too high and even if you have a camera mounted all the way in the bumper
your speed likely still too high.
So the camera placement is sufficient for most FSD tasks except parking in tight spots.
Tesla's fail big time as the vision would not be able to provide enough info due to the large blind areas near to the car.
In city driving the current line of sight is not sufficient for full FSD when you have closer cars blocking the view.
Especially if you want to avoid to put the front of your car into the traffic unless you can be sure that there is no cars or bicycles.

In city driving the current line of sight is not sufficient for full FSD when you have closer cars blocking the view.
Especially if you want to avoid to put the front of your car into the traffic unless you can be sure that there is no cars or bicycles.

I maybe mistaken but I think the cameras see more then a driver can. So if its not a problem for a driver then why would it be a problem for Tesla's?

The big advantage of side camera is when pulling up to a drive-in window and you want to get as close as possible so you can reach across. Or really curvy drive-ins with curbs ... shudder..

I have to park between 2 SUVs. Backing in and pulling out means I can't see any cross track until the entire front half of the car has cleared them. Backing out lets me use the rear camera to see cross tracking immediately.

Yes it would be good but in some situations, but while driving you can just glance at the visualization right? It took me a while to get into the habit of that rather than using mirrors or turning my head.
After a year's worth of driving the MS and learning to use and trust the cameras and sensor visualizations, I watched the side mirrors fold out yesterday as I backed out of my garage and suddenly realized that I do not really need them, or use them anymore. To a lesser extent the same is true with the rearview mirror.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Yes it would be good but in some situations, but while driving you can just glance at the visualization right? It took me a while to get into the habit of that rather than using mirrors or turning my head.

Can you really trust the visualization to show what's there and what's coming into that space up from behind or a further lane? Even at night?

I'm not finding many vehicles appearing the visualization at night.

Reactions: T-Mom
I also look at the visualization before changing lanes but, maybe I’m old-fashioned, I still always check my mirrors and look over my shoulder before the actual lane change. Can’t imagine not doing that.
yes, I am in that camp, but then again, I think I am approaching 200 years old :) Maybe this technique is one of the reasons that I've driven almost 900,000 miles without an accident. The insurance companies love me.

• Funny
Reactions: T-Mom
Needs more than that, and surely the software implemented for Smart Summon has these capabilities?

The software needs to use the side cameras and rear camera together to spot objects in motion behind the car when reversing.
- People walking through the parking lot
- Other vehicles backing out into the same space
- Cross traffic

When the car is in motion or other objects are in motion, even a single camera can be used to spot people and vehicles you don't want to hit. Using the overlap between cameras gives far more visual data to be processed.

My wife backed out of an angled parking spot and another vehicle backed into her. From examining the camera footage, it is clear that the Tesla had enough visual information to be able to recognize the impending collision in enough time to warn.
(She was focused on a pedestrian and didn't see the other vehicle backing up)

how big was the damage and cost of repair? ...asking for a friend? I wish this $60k+ vehicle came with rear aeb. Makes me want to sell it since it cant do what other cheper vehicles can do already.

• Funny
Reactions: powertoold
Looks like 2020.24 will start showing the repeater cameras.

From 2020.24 with New Sentry Mode event trigger
jififfv-jpg.553014

Looks like 2020.24 will start showing the repeater cameras.

From 2020.24 with New Sentry Mode event trigger
jififfv-jpg.553014

Thanks for sharing. Yep. We got confirmation that the feature is coming.

I am curious about this feature.

5imSj6V.png

It is the first time that Tesla has enabled the driver facing camera. But I am curious how it will be used to enhance safety in the case of an accident. Is it to see what the driver was doing, like if they were distracted, prior to a crash? I am still secretly hoping that Tesla will use the camera to monitor driver attention for hands-free driving.