Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas to show side cameras when backing up. Yes!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
"Tesla owners may soon have the benefit of using the side cameras of their vehicles when backing up. Elon Musk confirmed that such functionality can be added in future updates after a brief exchange with a Tesla owner on Twitter."
Tesla to utilize side cameras to help drivers back up, confirms Elon Musk

I am very excited for this. It seems like one of those obvious features we should have gotten a long time ago.

It would be great if we could use the side cameras while switching lanes.
I'm not sure about this one. An autonomous system should be able to clear the path itself. And, I find, it does this quite well now. Between the visual display of cars alongside, and the "lane occupied" (whatever it's really called) alert, I feel like we have that covered. I don't feel like I need more information when changing lanes.

Edit-You could make the same argument about parking, which is what the thread is about. And if self-parking worked as well as the auto lane change, I might try.

I'm not sure about this one. An autonomous system should be able to clear the path itself. And, I find, it does this quite well now. Between the visual display of cars alongside, and the "lane occupied" (whatever it's really called) alert, I feel like we have that covered. I don't feel like I need more information when changing lanes.

Edit-You could make the same argument about parking, which is what the thread is about. And if self-parking worked as well as the auto lane change, I might try.
the Cyber truck might have it if there’s no mirrors. When we turn on the blinker camera will turn on on that side.

Hello my fellow m3 owners. My 1st ever post here. I have owned my 2020 model 3 stealth since Nov 2019 and loving every day of it. Since we are in the topic of reverse cameras, I wish we had an option of leaving the reverse cam on along with navy screen. For now, it's either back cam or nav screen. Just a thought.

Reactions: MrMannnilow
Now if they could only lock the backup camera on when the car is in reverse...

Passengers constantly fiddle with the infotainment and close the backup camera while leaving parking lots, in a car with frankly piss-poor rear viewing angles.
That’s your own fault - anyone fiddling with my MCU gets a whack if they don’t have permission!

"Tesla owners may soon have the benefit of using the side cameras of their vehicles when backing up. Elon Musk confirmed that such functionality can be added in future updates after a brief exchange with a Tesla owner on Twitter."

I am very excited for this. It seems like one of those obvious features we should have gotten a long time ago.

Needs more than that, and surely the software implemented for Smart Summon has these capabilities?

The software needs to use the side cameras and rear camera together to spot objects in motion behind the car when reversing.
- People walking through the parking lot
- Other vehicles backing out into the same space
- Cross traffic

When the car is in motion or other objects are in motion, even a single camera can be used to spot people and vehicles you don't want to hit. Using the overlap between cameras gives far more visual data to be processed.

My wife backed out of an angled parking spot and another vehicle backed into her. From examining the camera footage, it is clear that the Tesla had enough visual information to be able to recognize the impending collision in enough time to warn.
(She was focused on a pedestrian and didn't see the other vehicle backing up)

Reactions: rdskill

Yea, I would like that and look forward to it. I just hope that his engineering team doesn't come back to say...… "But Elon we can only do this in the 2022 release with hardware 4.0 and MCU 3" :eek::rolleyes:

I not so much, due to where Tesla put the cameras in the blinkers you have a very large dead zone. This makes them useless for parking along the curbs. In Europe we actually park our cars like a few centimers from the curb which you would not be able to see via the cameras, only via the mirrors. This is where the competition does a better job by putting the cameras in the tips of the mirror. This way you can actually look at *both* wheels, front and back, to see how close they are to the curb.

Since we are in the topic of reverse cameras, I wish we had an option of leaving the reverse cam on along with navy screen.

This existed in V8 and earlier. In many ways the UI was way better for S/X like the camera but also the browser window. Tesla decided to make Model 3 UI most important and have S/X owners receive a worse user interface experience.

My 2015 BMW does it(I think all newer BMWs do it) and it is really helpful to my wife when parking( it has reduced my door dings :).

SV3.jpg

My 2015 BMW does it(I think all newer BMWs do it)

which doesn't change the fact it's physically impossible for your tesla to do it.

Look at where your front cameras are.

How do you propose the cameras, mounted at the top of the windshield, show you what's on the ground right in front of your front bumper?

Your BMW does that with low-mounted, fisheye camera lenses, that your Tesla lacks.

which doesn't change the fact it's physically impossible for your tesla to do it.

Look at where your front cameras are.

How do you propose the cameras, mounted at the top of the windshield, show you what's on the ground right in front of your front bumper?

Your BMW does that with low-mounted, fisheye camera lenses, that your Tesla lacks.
Some cars that don't have bumper mounted cameras show a black space and use the ultrasonic sensors with graphics at the front of the car while still displaying video where cameras are available elsewhere around the car. I don't know if any current cars use this hybrid approach but it was available on cars several years ago.

Reactions: DiyEvRepair
The same way land Rover can show you what's under the front of the car. By caching the images as it rolls forward

It shows lane markings painted on the ground and handicapped spots the same way

Last edited: