Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Trade-In policy for other Teslas Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been toying with the idea of trading in my 2018 Model 3 LR RWD for a model Y, but have some questions on how the trade-in is valued.
  • AutoPilot: Is FSD autopilot transferable to the new car? If not transferable, is it taken into account in the valuation of the trade-in car? If it is taken into account, is it at the price it was purchased at, or the current price for autopilot?
  • Tax Credits: Are the tax credits that were originally available for the trade-in car subtracted from it's "Value".
Specifically, I got the model 3 for around $48,000 in June 2018, and got around $10,000 back from the tax credits. It has around 27,000 miles on it now, and some minor cosmetic exterior damage (which could be fixed before trading it in, if needed). I also got AutoPilot and FSD in march 2019 for around $3,500, it's now listed as an option for $7,000.

I probably would be willing to trade it in for the model Y if the net cost (after any remaining tax credits) was roughly $10,000 or so. Is this potentially possible? I don't have any of any experience with trade-in cars, or their value, so I have no idea if this is a reasonable expectation or not.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: also, to preempt questions as to why I haven't used the official Trade-in estimate process Tesla provides yet, I suspect I won't be able to get a usable trade-in for my budget, and don't want to waste the agent's (and my) time going through the formal process, and paperwork, when there's a good chance the value will be nowhere near what I'd need to make it work. Presumably the autopilot related questions at least have been experienced by others, although for some reason I couldn't find any results when searching on the forum for it.

Last edited:
Who are you talking to?:rolleyes: No one here can answer your questions. o_O We can make up stuff, but that's not going to help.
And Tesla is not going to hunt you down based on your post just to give you a price. :D If you want to trade with them, talk to Tesla. ;)

Hi, I'm in a similar situation.
I don't have experience with selling a car but I have been reading about this subject.
Here are some comments, without any importance order, hopping this can help.

- I think the used value of the car is based on the original price of the car, the same way as the price that I gave to my car insurance
what paid for the car so if the car get totaled this should be the reference.

- However, Tesla has reduced the car prices after the end of the tax deduction, so I could get now a Model 3 LR AWD at the same
cost that what I paid for it after the tax discount. I imagine that the used market value must be affected with the current new price
as nobody would buy a used car for a cost very similar to a new one.

- If you were able to get a tax deduction, there are some rules about how long you need to keep the car, otherwise you might have to return it.

- I think you car get a good evaluation of the market value by getting a appraisal, such as Carmax or KBB.

- I believe that Tesla would match the offer from other traders, but you could get an idea of the initial offer Trade-in Value | Tesla

- In California, the tax on a used car will be paid by the buyer and are calculated using the residence address of the buyer.
For the new car, you will paid the sales tax base on the value of the car, not the difference between the trading like in other states.
Sales tax on cars and vehicles in California

- In general, you might get a better deal if you sell directly to a third party but it takes times.
If you like to meet people this could be fine but you need to be patient, and it is recommended to meet potential customers
at a public place than your home, and to check as much as you can the information from the potential buyer.

- There are locations where, for a small fee, you can leave your car parked so a customer can look at your car.
You don't have to be present, but if a customer want to make an offer, then you meet this person and negotiate directly.

- About the warranty and FSD options, when selling to a third party or a trader, I wonder if you can get a written document
from Tesla clarifying this situation. There was a case of a used car in the news recently, where Tesla disabled FSD but
I believe that the new owner was able to get it back.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod