Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Used Inventory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never even driven a Tesla before, so I'll probably rent one for a day on Turo to get a feel.
I'm fairly certain we'll be getting one by the end of Q1!!!

I've been regularly searching Tesla's used inventory for a sweet deal on a Model S using the EV-CPO search engine.
The thing is, when I look at the results on Tesla's site, I'll see several listings fo 75D's & 70D's but the photos of the actual vehicle are 60D's.

Is this common?

Yes. Tesla sold a bunch of software locked “60kwh” battery cars in 2016-2017 that are coming off of lease now. Tesla usually unlocks them to their full capacity when they resell. The car should have the badging changed by the time you pick it up.

I've never even driven a Tesla before, so I'll probably rent one for a day on Turo to get a feel.
I'm fairly certain we'll be getting one by the end of Q1!!!

I've been regularly searching Tesla's used inventory for a sweet deal on a Model S using the EV-CPO search engine.
The thing is, when I look at the results on Tesla's site, I'll see several listings fo 75D's & 70D's but the photos of the actual vehicle are 60D's.

Is this common?
Be careful -- it might be affected by batterygate/chargegate. Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

I have no idea what that means :-/
One of the Model S options a few years ago was a 60 kWh car that actually had a 75 kWh battery but was software-locked to 60kWh as a cheaper option (so that they only had to make one type of battery). Because they can unlock the extra capacity at the flick of a software switch (and actually did that, temporarily, during a few hurricane evacuations), when a software-locked car is returned, they usually unlock the full capacity before turning around and reselling it.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr and byeLT4
One of the Model S options a few years ago was a 60 kWh car that actually had a 75 kWh battery but was software-locked to 60kWh as a cheaper option (so that they only had to make one type of battery). Because they can unlock the extra capacity at the flick of a software switch (and actually did that, temporarily, during a few hurricane evacuations), when a software-locked car is returned, they usually unlock the full capacity before turning around and reselling it.
I had no idea. Thanks for the clarification.

Does anyone know about the terms when taking delivery of a used Tesla?
When I the process do we actually pay the delivery fee?
If it’s prior to delivery and we go through the process of having a car transported to our local delivery hub, drive the car and then decide we hate it, how much of the $2,100 ($100 order fee and $2000 delivery fee) would we absorb?
This whole “buying a car sight unseen” presents a little concern...

$2000 delivery fee
That deliver fee to your closest service center/delivery point would go bye bye for sure you don't buy the car. The whole buy without seeing is scary, I'm right there with you.

I almost bought a showroom model I could see and touch only to have them say some else just bought it before me online as I arrived AFTER A CALL "YOU BETTER GET HERE QUICK". Three managers on the phone with Corporate in Palo Alto, the buyer is standing here. Nothing doing these cars are sold online and that final. Off it went to New Jersey from South Florida.

Then they transported another one just like it from another showroom, it was in poor condition under 50 miles ODO, all cosmetic, they covered all the VISUAL fixes(another large list not below), it was an extensive list.

I can tell you, I'm in my fourth year and last night my driver door handle would not pop out to open the door after dinner out. This is the second one. SO the fact that many others IN THE SHOWROOM have used ALL the systems in my car extensively has helped to get things replaced under warranty. Almost all systems that someone can touch have been replaced.

Charge door.
Later, cracked charge port.
Right passenger door handle mech. Stuck (out) won't open door.
Now Driver door handle mech. Stuck (in) won't open door.
Hatch Latching Cinch motor mech.
U/I interface screen.
Clock Spring-not for the clock, but its in the steering column-it interfaces all steering wheel controls.
Steering wheel position motor.
A/C mixing Actuator-malfunctioning since I bought the car and no recirc for three years. It was hot times summer under 5 mile trips-I thought it was normal. With all the loaners though I knew better, as the AC was killer in all those cars. It works great now.
Driver Seat twice, SO I am on the third seat base only.
Passenger seat, once Base only, really to match the drivers seat for appearance.
3 sets of Matts
All warrantied. You'll have a Four year warranty as well.

I live 2 miles and work 2 miles from service center. They know me well, its a good relationship. Babies born and marriages etc. WE are one big Tesla FAMILY.

DRIVING DEPENDABILITY, complete. I would jump in that car and drive 6000 mile round trip to Fremont now if I could afford the time off. Prep: A pound or two in the tires and top up the washer fluid, a light vac might be good.

Last edited:
I'm liking that idea a lot now....ROADTRIP!!!!
Not sure about driving my trade in though.
That would limit my choices if they lowball me on it :-/

When I bought mine they actually allowed me to trade my old car in at a local Tesla location here in Phoenix. I then flew out to Littleton Colorado where my car was located and drove it home.

The trade in process was so smooth. I just took a few photos of my car and uploaded it to Tesla. They gave me an offer and then I dropped it off. They didn’t give me any hassle when I dropped it off. I just handed over the keys and left. No back and forth negotiating and looking over my car with a microscope to try and take money off their offer.

If you don’t like their offer, they used to allow you to go to Carmax and get an offer and if it was better they would match the Carmax offer.