Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas With Rebuilt Title - Supercharging Removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received today. Will post a review soon.

What firmware version is on your Model 3?

Hopefully you have better luck than this person:

Unfortunately, the adapter didn't work work for me (Model 3). I went to two different Electrify America stations made by BTC Power and one eVgo station made by ABB (industry standard stations). If the car was left unlocked, the error on the charger screen is communications related and the charging session won't start. If the car is locked, then the error on the charger screen is a proximity error and the charging session won't start. I tried several different combinations at each charger, and spent about 45 minutes on the phone with EA support. It just wouldn't work...

He is on the most recent "holiday" update. (2020.48.26)

What firmware version is on your Model 3?

Hopefully you have better luck than this person:

He is on the most recent "holiday" update. (2020.48.26)

My luck was a little better. Went to an EVgo station (1) and neither chademo or setec ccs worked. Went to EVgo (2) and plugged in chademo, wouldn’t work, called EVgo, spent some time plugging and unplugging then it worked at 25 to 27 kw. Car was already charged to 70%. About a month ago I got 40 kw on chademo with a lower charge state.

drove to an electrify America charge station and plugged in ccs adapter. Wouldn’t work. Called for help, advised to to try adjacent station, plugged, unplugged, repeat, finally got it charging but only at 25 kw. The station was capable of 150. Note: this particular electrify America station charged $0.40 / kWh. Horrible. That’s equivalent to 30mpg ice car at $3 per gallon roughly.

I have the latest holiday software.

Will try further when soc is down to 20% or so.

If tesla throttled my 3rd party charging ability I’m burning down the building.

My luck was a little better. Went to an EVgo station (1) and neither chademo or setec ccs worked. Went to EVgo (2) and plugged in chademo, wouldn’t work, called EVgo, spent some time plugging and unplugging then it worked at 25 to 27 kw. Car was already charged to 70%. About a month ago I got 40 kw on chademo with a lower charge state.

drove to an electrify America charge station and plugged in ccs adapter. Wouldn’t work. Called for help, advised to to try adjacent station, plugged, unplugged, repeat, finally got it charging but only at 25 kw. The station was capable of 150. Note: this particular electrify America station charged $0.40 / kWh. Horrible. That’s equivalent to 30mpg ice car at $3 per gallon roughly.

Before going to any non-Tesla public charging, it's best to check its rating and for recent check-ins on Plugshare. Not sure if you're willing to post the addresses or Plugshare URLs of the problem stations.

Last time I went to PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You, both DC FCs were broken. (And yes, I checked in.)

So you actually got the Setec CCS adapter to work?

ALL Pricing and Plans for EV Charging | Electrify America stations in CA are 43 cents/kWh for Pass (and guest) members and 31 cents/kWh for Pass+ (which is $4/mo).

(Oops, part of this is a repeat. I've told you about DTA before.)
Since you list your location as San Jose, you can get free or discounted charging via Home Page - DRIVEtheARC at a limited subset of EVGo chargers (ONLY the ones spelled out on their site or as DTA sites in their app). The aforementioned Walmart in Milpitas site is one of them. You need to go thru sections 4 (just once) and 5 of How to Use the DRIVEtheARC App - DRIVEtheARC.

I've gotten a ton of free CCS juice (and a bit of discounted juice) from DrivetheARC w/my Bolt.

ChargePoint HQ 41 (at their headquarters) at 254 E Hacienda Ave, Campbell, CA is dual-standard DC FC currently set to free and has been like that for at least a few weeks. It's still showing as free at ChargePoint. I personally used it to pull down over 27 kWh of free juice on Dec 18th.

In the past, it's price has varied from free to cheap to ok (I think 25 cents/kWh) to free.

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You is 19 cents/kWh for CCS, CHAdeMO and L2. I've personally used CCS and L2 there.

Last edited:
Reactions: BritneySpears
Before going to any non-Tesla public charging, it's best to check its rating and for recent check-ins on Plugshare. Not sure if you're willing to post the addresses or Plugshare URLs of the problem stations.

Last time I went to PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You, both DC FCs were broken. (And yes, I checked in.)

So you actually got the Setec CCS adapter to work?

ALL Pricing and Plans for EV Charging | Electrify America stations in CA are 43 cents/kWh for Pass (and guest) members and 31 cents/kWh for Pass+ (which is $4/mo).

(Oops, part of this is a repeat. I've told you about DTA before.)
Since you list your location as San Jose, you can get free or discounted charging via Home Page - DRIVEtheARC at a limited subset of EVGo chargers (ONLY the ones spelled out on their site or as DTA sites in their app). The aforementioned Walmart in Milpitas site is one of them. You need to go thru sections 4 (just once) and 5 of How to Use the DRIVEtheARC App - DRIVEtheARC.

I've gotten a ton of free CCS juice (and a bit of discounted juice) from DrivetheARC w/my Bolt.

ChargePoint HQ 41 (at their headquarters) at 254 E Hacienda Ave, Campbell, CA is dual-standard DC FC currently set to free and has been like that for at least a few weeks. It's still showing as free at ChargePoint. I personally used it to pull down over 27 kWh of free juice on Dec 18th.

In the past, it's price has varied from free to cheap to ok (I think 25 cents/kWh) to free.

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You is 19 cents/kWh for CCS, CHAdeMO and L2. I've personally used CCS and L2 there.

Great info for local, South Bay Ca people. I work near San Jose so I'm very familiar with those areas. I have all those apps but haven't utilized them. I WFH (work from home) and I rarely travel far enough away to need to charge but this is all a necessary exercise for when life gets back to more normal.

Yes, I got the SETEC adapter to work but it's strange it only charged at a 25kw rate when I was at 70% SOC. I had Elec America on the phone at the time and the technician expected it to be higher as well since the capacity of the machine was 150 kw. I didn't record my procedure very accurately as I plan to do that better when I go to juice again at a lower SOC (state of charge). More info to come then.

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
Great info for local, South Bay Ca people. I work near San Jose so I'm very familiar with those areas. I have all those apps but haven't utilized them. I WFH (work from home) and I rarely travel far enough away to need to charge but this is all a necessary exercise for when life gets back to more normal.

Yes, I got the SETEC adapter to work but it's strange it only charged at a 25kw rate when I was at 70% SOC. I had Elec America on the phone at the time and the technician expected it to be higher as well since the capacity of the machine was 150 kw. I didn't record my procedure very accurately as I plan to do that better when I go to juice again at a lower SOC (state of charge). More info to come then.

Well, at least it worked. Keep us posted. And thanks.

Reactions: cwerdna
Awesome that it worked at all. You're not going to be able to get anywhere near 150 kW.

Since the Setec adapter is allegedly limited to 200 amps, let's say the voltage is 370 volts. 370 volts * 200 amps = 74,000 watts = 74 kW. Model 3 drivers (since I don't have one) can fill in what the proper voltage ranges would be.

At least you got it working! On my MS 90D, no luck. Got either communication error or Failed isolation test. This was on a Blink charger (built by btcamerica)

At least you got it working! On my MS 90D, no luck. Got either communication error or Failed isolation test. This was on a Blink charger (built by btcamerica)

Yeah, I get those two errors with the tesla chademo adapter on an Evgo station frequently. Half the time when using chademo I call Evgo and they fiddle around with some things, reset the machine, and then it works. The Setec CCS on Elec Amer behaved similarly and finally worked after a few unplugs, replugs. I wonder if this is a firmware issue with the stations that aren't up on how Tesla communicate. Or maybe the comm issue is on the Tesla side?

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Yeah, I get those two errors with the tesla chademo adapter on an Evgo station frequently. Half the time when using chademo I call Evgo and they fiddle around with some things, reset the machine, and then it works. The Setec CCS on Elec Amer behaved similarly and finally worked after a few unplugs, replugs. I wonder if this is a firmware issue with the stations that aren't up on how Tesla communicate. Or maybe the comm issue is on the Tesla side?

Yup.

Such buyers did later get the option to give up free supercharging for a $5000 refund check (and many did, but not everyone)

Yup.

It's a VERY VERY small pool of folks... in his video complaining about this policy RichRebuilds even remarked on that very fact.

Agreed.... Anyone considering going salvage should assume they will not have DC fast charging, and if it DOES work for a while...super...but don't expect to keep it even if it does.

(FWIW- there's at least one hacker out there who will, for money, enable DC fast charging on cars it's been disabled on.... Tesla recently added terms that they can actually sue you for doing this on your vehicle so I wouldn't advise it- though if you only stuck to 3rd party DC charging you'd probably avoid detection)
Who is the hacker?

Hello friends ! I have the same problem, I bought a refurbished car and fast charging is also turned off, but that's not all, in August they stopped updating my car. I wrote many times to the service and I get the same answer your machine is not supported. Maybe we will create a petition somewhere and sign and send it to Tesla. sorry for my english i am writing through a translator i am from ukraine we have almost all cars rebuilt

This might have been mentioned somewhere in this long thread. If so, sorry for the redundancy.

There are cases where cars are totaled for things like hail damage among other scenarios where there would probably be no damage to the HV/charging components of the car. I believe salvage titles are issued anytime insurance companies right off the car as totaled? Does Tesla disables DC fast charging on a hail damaged car?

Tesla just disabled my supercharging on my M3. I‘ve owned it for the past 18 months, and have used supercharging several times with no issues.

Retroactively removing features of value from a vehicle that is not owned nor in their possession seems suspect.
1. Do you have a credit card on file to cover any charging or idle fees?
2. Do you have any unpaid idle fees?

There's a billing issue with our account where one of our cars has had Supercharging disabled. We've been trying to get the issue resolved but unfortunately, Tesla's billing system can't handle US credit cards when trying to make a payment for idle fees from when our car was in Japan.

There's a billing issue with our account where one of our cars has had Supercharging disabled. We've been trying to get the issue resolved but unfortunately, Tesla's billing system can't handle US credit cards when trying to make a payment for idle fees from when our car was in Japan.

yes, there’s a credit card on file. No, there are no unpaid fees.

@Margaritaboy 's supercharging was disabled because the car is a salvage one. Just took tesla a while to get around to it.

On a completely separate note:

===========================

Moderator note: This thread is about the tesla policy of removing supercharging from teslas with rebuilt title. There is nothing "model 3" specific about that practice, so I will be changing the thread title and re locating it to the Tesla inc section, where discussion can continue on the topic tesla removing supercharging from all teslas.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker