Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslascope.. (alternative to TeslaFi)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what sensitive information?

The GPS co-ordinates of your car being the main one, which would reveal where you live, where you work, what times of day you're going to be at different locations. Has your car been at the airport for the last 2 days? Looks like a good time to rob your house.

Is your car somewhere that's easily accessible from the street? Makes it nice and easy to remotely open the doors and have a look to see if there's anything worth taking inside.

Do you have a service appointment scheduled? Good time to ring you pretending to be Tesla and say "There's a problem with your credit card on file, can you confirm the details please".

My worry isn't the teslafi style services themselves, it's how good their security is, and what other people can do with that info if they break in.

The GPS co-ordinates of your car being the main one, which would reveal where you live, where you work, what times of day you're going to be at different locations. Has your car been at the airport for the last 2 days? Looks like a good time to rob your house.

Is your car somewhere that's easily accessible from the street? Makes it nice and easy to remotely open the doors and have a look to see if there's anything worth taking inside.

Do you have a service appointment scheduled? Good time to ring you pretending to be Tesla and say "There's a problem with your credit card on file, can you confirm the details please".

My worry isn't the teslafi style services themselves, it's how good their security is, and what other people can do with that info if they break in.
This is precisely why I haven't signed up for either yet

... when you put it that way...

• Funny
Reactions: JMar

If you think any 2 bit robber is going to be able to hack your Tesla credentials just to stalk your car, you're in for a world of surprise. It would be easier to just phish your google account information and look at your maps timeline. You know your phone knows where you are all the time right?

I would be more concerned if I were a head of state or celebrity, but there's nobody out there with the skills, time, or money that is interested in robbing you that isn't just going to break down your door after they watch your car leave the driveway from 2 blocks away.

If you think any 2 bit robber is going to be able to hack your Tesla credentials just to stalk your car, you're in for a world of surprise. It would be easier to just phish your google account information and look at your maps timeline. You know your phone knows where you are all the time right?

I would be more concerned if I were a head of state or celebrity, but there's nobody out there with the skills, time, or money that is interested in robbing you that isn't just going to break down your door after they watch your car leave the driveway from 2 blocks away.

Spot on. Based on the "break-in" videos you see on the web, I highly highly doubt these are going to be hacking any 3rd party app. But based on the cost of these vehicles alone, I understand why people would be paranoid.

They're not trying to hack just your credentials, they're trying to hack the service and get everyone's credentials (who is signed up for the service, obviously).

Reactions: DOCAL

I agree. But it’s no different than the nest/smart things/google home/etc. I kind of just gave up.

• Funny
Reactions: ebmcs03
Their are alot of these apps/services hoping up now.

Big thing is if they add phantom drain to your car.
Yes your information is sensitive with a token they are not going to steal you car.
But of course someone can steal you data. Current location, trips etc..

I've played with a few of these services already. Currently using teslastics
However haven't hear of this one.

Hello there, I wanted to respond to a few of the concerns brought up in this thread, as well as answer any questions that may come up!

Security and Safety
As mentioned by @DOCAL , services that use the Tesla APIs (including Teslascope, and others like TeslaFi), have access to a vehicle's GPS coordinates and use it for calculating / logging specific metrics such as tracking drives and charging sessions.

Security is incredibly important to me personally and many checks have been implemented across the platform to ensure we can provide a safe and secure experience for everyone who uses it. With that in mind, absolutely no location information is ever accessible publicly by anyone besides the vehicle owner, and any pages that contain sensitive data (including the requests for such) go through about six different checks to ensure of this.

Credentials and Tokens
As shared in this comment on the Reddit announcement, the platform is built on Laravel, which uses a couple different methods for ensuring sensitive data is kept safe, which of course extends to tokens. We use AES-256 for encrypting all tokens, and then decrypt it on the fly when requesting for data from Tesla's APIs. The keys are additionally stored in an AWS Aurora database with substantial security put in place to prevent access including but not limited to only allowing the production server (also on AWS) to access it, 2FA enabled on all administrative accounts, and all other best practices followed.

To also keep our members safe, we don't disclose or even allow accessing the tokens associated to an account via any page nor request-able via data exporting. This ensures that in the case an account is compromised, a hacker can't use these tokens for malicious intent. In the near future, we'll also be implementing 2FA (OTP), which is something that TeslaFi and many other competitors don't offer. This is all in my goal of providing the safest, easiest to use (and understand) platform for Tesla vehicle owners!

Phantom Drain
There's many reasons why I began Teslascope, but at its root it began as a passion project. I wasn't happy with the experience I had navigating around TeslaFi and the various Sleep Modes and other aspects of preventing phantom drain confused me. I had seen the same experiences shared by other vehicle owners (both local, and on online communities) and wanted to make sure that the platform I worked on would solve this. I appreciate concerns like this brought up by @tfraley .

Teslascope, through my own experience and from what was shared by a majority of the alpha testers (20+), has a slightly better time with phantom drain than TeslaFi and some other competitors and a lot of this is due to the simple Sleep Modes; of which there are only two.

You can set your vehicle to sleep between specific hours according to your timezone. In the case you're expecting to not use your vehicle for awhile (vacation, own multiple vehicles), or otherwise if you only want to use Teslascope for simply providing statistics to the fleet (vehicle firmware updates), there is also a "Quiet Mode" which fully disables all polling and essentially eliminates all phantom drain all at a single toggle.

@tylercorsair Thanks for replying to our concerns. Because of that I have just went ahead and signed up with Teslascope will check it out for a week. Teslastics is what I'm currently using because of it's clean and well thought out design as well as the developer takes feedback in builds on it.

I haven't seen any of the statistics, Haven't driven any yet with it.
Some things I would like to see at least in the paid version
- Break down of trip milage and a way to factor how much it would of cost with gas
and a share option (This makes it easy to bill for drive time and what not)
- Charge locations and past prices at those locations. Would also be nice to break that down by location and by month

A clean look and those solid features I would pay a few bucks for everything else like honking your car and cooling warming. Most do it with their phone, Alexa, Siri tons of ways. I could be wrong maybe their are people that use the website but I personally don't see it as a feature to pay for.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth