Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslascope.. (alternative to TeslaFi)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm not a tech and only have the tesla app installed. I just get in my car, drive, listen to music, get home, charge repeat. Sorry I don't have a use for these apps. Having said that... your app looks very impressive for those that need or want the features.
My question is, I came across your app because either out of strange coincidence, or not, last night my car updated to version 2020.16.2.1.
At that exact same time, I was sent an email to join or install the app. Given the timing, I thought is was a new tesla app and started installing. I have since removed it just to keep clutter off my phone but begs the question, how did you get my email?
Did you get it from Tesla?

Hi, I'm not a tech and only have the tesla app installed. I just get in my car, drive, listen to music, get home, charge repeat. Sorry I don't have a use for these apps. Having said that... your app looks very impressive for those that need or want the features.
My question is, I came across your app because either out of strange coincidence, or not, last night my car updated to version 2020.16.2.1.
At that exact same time, I was sent an email to join or install the app. Given the timing, I thought is was a new tesla app and started installing. I have since removed it just to keep clutter off my phone but begs the question, how did you get my email?
Did you get it from Tesla?

Teslascope doesn't send any form of automated emails in any manner (yet), nor do I personally send emails out without a prior support email being sent. It seems that you emailed my personal email, which further is confusing.

I would double check where this email came from to make sure it wasn't from another source or individual. Often, some Tesla Owners Clubs will sometimes share links to the software update pages since Teslascope is the one of the only sources on the internet that has the complete release notes. This may have been what occurred. Would love to know more information though if possible!

Teslascope is also not an app and can't be installed as you communicated, so I'm unsure if you confused this with another service adding to the mystery haha.

Edit: Updating after follow up communication via email, it appears that an account was registered although was deactivated shortly after. Seems to not be any foul play, but may just be some degree of confusion or otherwise someone may have signed up using their email. Teslascope sends out a verification email, although it isn't required to verify it before using most account functionality.

Will monitor this in case there are other occurrences, but checking over registrations around the time of 1M_AAs's account sign up, this does not seem to be the case. Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: MikkoJ
Hello there, I wanted to respond to a few of the concerns brought up in this thread, as well as answer any questions that may come up!

Security and Safety
As mentioned by @DOCAL , services that use the Tesla APIs (including Teslascope, and others like TeslaFi), have access to a vehicle's GPS coordinates and use it for calculating / logging specific metrics such as tracking drives and charging sessions.

Security is incredibly important to me personally and many checks have been implemented across the platform to ensure we can provide a safe and secure experience for everyone who uses it. With that in mind, absolutely no location information is ever accessible publicly by anyone besides the vehicle owner, and any pages that contain sensitive data (including the requests for such) go through about six different checks to ensure of this.

Credentials and Tokens
As shared in this comment on the Reddit announcement, the platform is built on Laravel, which uses a couple different methods for ensuring sensitive data is kept safe, which of course extends to tokens. We use AES-256 for encrypting all tokens, and then decrypt it on the fly when requesting for data from Tesla's APIs. The keys are additionally stored in an AWS Aurora database with substantial security put in place to prevent access including but not limited to only allowing the production server (also on AWS) to access it, 2FA enabled on all administrative accounts, and all other best practices followed.

To also keep our members safe, we don't disclose or even allow accessing the tokens associated to an account via any page nor request-able via data exporting. This ensures that in the case an account is compromised, a hacker can't use these tokens for malicious intent. In the near future, we'll also be implementing 2FA (OTP), which is something that TeslaFi and many other competitors don't offer. This is all in my goal of providing the safest, easiest to use (and understand) platform for Tesla vehicle owners!

Phantom Drain
There's many reasons why I began Teslascope, but at its root it began as a passion project. I wasn't happy with the experience I had navigating around TeslaFi and the various Sleep Modes and other aspects of preventing phantom drain confused me. I had seen the same experiences shared by other vehicle owners (both local, and on online communities) and wanted to make sure that the platform I worked on would solve this. I appreciate concerns like this brought up by @tfraley .

Teslascope, through my own experience and from what was shared by a majority of the alpha testers (20+), has a slightly better time with phantom drain than TeslaFi and some other competitors and a lot of this is due to the simple Sleep Modes; of which there are only two.

You can set your vehicle to sleep between specific hours according to your timezone. In the case you're expecting to not use your vehicle for awhile (vacation, own multiple vehicles), or otherwise if you only want to use Teslascope for simply providing statistics to the fleet (vehicle firmware updates), there is also a "Quiet Mode" which fully disables all polling and essentially eliminates all phantom drain all at a single toggle.
I've had my Model Y for over 1 year now, and I never subscribed to any similar apps because I just thought I'd never share my credentials with any third party. I never bothered to even look into the possibility. Eventually I decided to dive into the possibility and found this post. This is quite reassuring.
Are most people still happy with Teslascope? If anyone would like to share a comment after few years of use, I'd be very grateful. I thought resuming this very topic was the right thing to do to gather some updated feedback.
Thank you all in advance, and thank you @tylercorsair for sharing the info above.