Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslastics vs TeslaFi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I've been trying out TeslaFi and Teslastics today and comparing the end results.

It seems like Teslastics is actually more accurate at capturing what really happened in a drive. I've attached two screenshots showing a drive I did this afternoon. In that drive, there are two bursts of acceleration as I entered a short stretch of dual carriageway, then turned around at the bottom and returned in the other direction. Teslastics captures this accurately, whereas TeslaFi is completely missing the outward run.

The outward run is at 17:40:30 and the return is at 17:42:00. It appears that Teslastics has a much better sampling interval. Has anyone else done any comparisons of the two apps?
TeslaFi.png
Teslastics.png

I've only used teslafi but I can add that you can look at the raw data to check the frequency of data points. It looks to me like it logs a datapoint roughly every 60 seconds while idling or sleeping and every 20 seconds while driving.

I haven't tried to use it to look at power output minute by minute and I haven't seen how you'd do this. Also, I'm not sure it could be done with useful accuracy without more frequent data logging. I suspect it's not really designed for this purpose. Rather it seems to me it's a bit higher level/less granular with a focus on averages over whole drives, whole charges, whole sleeps etc.

As such, I'm not sure it does what you want. What do you want from the service?

So, I've been trying out TeslaFi and Teslastics today and comparing the end results.

It seems like Teslastics is actually more accurate at capturing what really happened in a drive. I've attached two screenshots showing a drive I did this afternoon. In that drive, there are two bursts of acceleration as I entered a short stretch of dual carriageway, then turned around at the bottom and returned in the other direction. Teslastics captures this accurately, whereas TeslaFi is completely missing the outward run.

The outward run is at 17:40:30 and the return is at 17:42:00. It appears that Teslastics has a much better sampling interval. Has anyone else done any comparisons of the two apps?
View attachment 461556 View attachment 461557
send a referral code and i'll try it.

send a referral code and i'll try it.

If it's early days I'm guessing he's using a trial for Teslafi. If so, feel free to PM me for mine.

I hadn't heard of Teslastics. I think it's quite new. Article here from only a month ago:
Teslastics launches companion app to track use of your Tesla, battery health, and more
In principle it sounds very similar to teslafi. Teslastics polling is a bit less frequent so you'd be into spurious accuracy trying to look at one big acceleration (with either app) but it does appear to analyse part of a drive rather than just the whole drive. I can see one could learn quite a bit from that.

Also it might be slicker on the presentation front.

Anyway, @andyfox if it's v new it would be interesting to see your observations on both in parallel across a wide range of functions. Eg the scheduling. I find teslafi most useful for this but it's not easy to see on a phone screen.

For me "efficiency" of a drive is stating the bleeding obvious a bit. Correct me if I'm wrong but as quoted by these apps it seems just to be a comparson of actual miles with ideal, or similar. Slow down, drive smoother, it'll improve, right? In this respect does a third party app give you much over the car's energy use graph and Wh/mile for trips?

Last edited:
you'd be into spurious accuracy trying to look at one big acceleration (with either app) but it does appear to analyse part of a drive rather than just the whole drive. I can see one could learn quite a bit from that.

Can't remember the name of it, but there are (were?) APPs that will do frequent logging for, for example, launch logging. No personal experience though.

TeslaFi (and others) will lose data connection at time, so there will be gaps in the data. For an average for the journey, and a mostly-inclusive log of journeys its fine, but I don't think it tries to answer the fine-detail questions.

Have signed up for a Testastics trial. I'm already a paid up TeslaFi user.

From what I see so far Teslastics doesn't offer scheduling. Is it pure stats?

@kuruma I can send you a teslafi referral if you don't already have one. Anyone else, feel free to PM me.

If anyone wants a referral for Teslastics feel free to ping me for a free month.

I'm running this and TeslaFi for a month or so to see which I prefer, but I do love the interface on Teslastics.

Is this the same as Tesla Statistics? Not used it but heard that the developer isn't very responsive to user-feedback and feature requests. Teslafi is really for nerds, and I just about classify myself in that category :D. I've started using scheduled actions as well - it's great!

The Teslastics graphs are smoothed. I'd have thought the sampling is down to Tesla.

@andyfox where in both apps do you find the graphs you posted?

A note on running both apps at the same time.

They both have their ways of giving the car time to go to sleep, which means holding off certain types of polling for a period. I suspected these would not work together and looking at my data I think this is the case. If one is giving the car time to fall asleep and the other chimes in with the wrong kind of data request the car won't sleep. Not 100% sure this is the reason but my car is falling asleep periodically but only for a few minutes then waking up. So I'm working on the assumption I will have to choose one of these apps only. No big deal since I doubt many would've paid two subs (I wouldn't anyway). I'll stick with Teslafi for the scheduling.

On Teslastics, are those who like the presentation on IOS or Android? On my Android it's not the most polished of apps.

On Teslafi, an improvement I'd really like to see, which is pure presentation, is to be able to order the scheduled commands. Perhaps by time of day. Or break them up into sections.