Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaTap J1772 to Tesla 48 AMP 18' extension - anyone using this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I am using a ChargePoint Home Flex as my home EVCE, with a 23' J1772 charging cable. It's mounted at the front of the garage, and if we pull the Model Y nose-in, the cable easily reaches the charge port. However, the cable runs along the floor and in the winter it will become a slushy wet mess. I was considering mounting a track and hooks on the ceiling with a tool balancer-type solution to pull the plug down, but the cable will never make it that far. And before you say, "just back the Model Y in" please understand this is my wife's daily driver and she refuses to back it in.

So I was looking for longer cables or extensions, and I came across one on TeslaTap that is an 18' extension from female J1772 to an authentic Tesla plug. Might be kind of slick to have an adapter-less connection to the car, and it would allow me to do the ceiling mount idea. The cable is made for up to 48amp operation. My EVCE is at 50amps currently but can be set to 48amps. I would plan to isolate the connection at the J1772 spot so that it wasn't moving around a bunch, but also to make it accessible if we need to charge another car with a J1772 port.

Anyone have experience with this extension or with TeslaTap (umc-j1772.com)? Any downsides to adding an extension?

Great find! This must be a relatively new product.

I was looking for something similar for the longest time. I'm in a similar situation currently using a Juicebox + Tesla J1772 adapter and it barely reaches the back of the car. I even moved the Juicebox as close as I can to the driveway. Backing in is also not an option for me due to the driveway being on a busy street.

Other options I was thinking of:
1. Juicebox -> 50A J1772 Extension 25 ft ($240)-> Tesla J1772 adapter -> car
2. Juicebox -> Tesla J1772 adapter -> ELONG 20 ft ($200) -> car

This product pretty much makes it:
3. Juicebox -> TeslaTap 18 ft ($350)-> car

It's pricey for what it is, although it's claimed to be made from the cable of an authentic Tesla from a Gen 3 WC. Likely scrap left from their WALL48 conversion where they removed the Tesla connector and add a J1772.

A few questions I have before buying:
1) Is the Tesla handle on the extension also authentic Gen 3 WC? For the 80A version they say it is, but doesn't mention it for the 48A version.
2) If it is authentic, will the button on the handle work to open the charge port and unlock the handle like on a Gen 3 WC? If not, then you will need to unlock the car first before the handle is released, which is a pain.
3) Is it truly 48A continuous? Some of their TeslaTap adapters are 40A for up to 3 hours, but they're only 32A continuous.
4) Is the J1772 side (socket) weather and dust resistant? E.g. any issues with it being left out in the sun or rain 24/7? Assume for example, the stock EVSE cable makes it outside the house, and is permanently mounted to this extension somewhere on an exterior wall. And this extension then reaches out 18 ft more to the back of the car.

Last edited:
Reporting back...

- The handle and cable are genuine Tesla parts.
- The handle button transmitter will not work to open the charge port since it is not connected to a Tesla Wall Connector.

He did suggest the J1772 extension (J1772 on both ends) and that the length could be shortened if needed. He also indicated that they are out of the J1772 to Tesla cables currently.

Don't know what I'll do quite yet. Need to measure out what I'm going to need and go from there. Also might try living through the first winter with the cable dragging on the floor to see if it's as bad as I expect it to be...

Thanks for the followup. Unfortunately, they never responded to me. That's not a good sign IMO. I guess we won't know the answers to #3/#4.

That's great news about the genuine cable and connector, but it's too bad that the button doesn't work. That's a pass for me in my books.
And it went out of stock right this thread was posted last Friday, I guess there were quite a few eyeballs on it!
I guess I'll also hang tight for now until there's a better solution.

I run a 30A J1772 EVSE plus a ~20' extension for my Model Y, along with the J1772 to Tesla AC adapter. my EVSE is 'deep' in the garage (was great for pulling my LEAF nose in..) and I run the cable plus the extension along the ceiling beam. I have the a bungie tied around the extension such that the J1772 end (with adapter in place) can hang just about 1' over the floor and be easy to grab and plug into the tesla, parked nose in on the right side bay.

I also have a TeslaTap 40. I mostly keep it in my LEAF, but I'll bring it with the tesla if I bring my 20' J1772 extension - thus allowing my UMC-tap-extension-adaptor to work for plugging into an outlet somewhere.

I will note my extension cord does pass the proximity signal but the Tesla Tap does NOT. Make sure the car connection is the first one disconnected to be sure the charger gets 'notified' of the impending disconnect! I'm not sure I'd excessively trust the 'weather proofness' of any connection - but any connection downstream of the EVSE box is better than using an unprotected extension cord upstream....