TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

TeslaTari Game Controller

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Eevee, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Eevee

Eevee Member

I read that the most recent update (2018.48.12) allows people to play the video games via an XboxOne or PS4 game controller when plugged into one or the USB drives. This sounds great to me as I have a video-game obsessed kiddo and we have multiple gaming systems at home. I MUCH prefer handing him a game controller in the backseat rather than putting him in the driver's seat to play these games while we are parked and Supercharging or waiting for someone.

Here's an article about it: Tesla rolls out classic Pole Position game for in-car touchscreen with controller support

Can someone who has tested it explain more?
    Does it work on the older Teslas like mine (2016)?
    Which USB port do you use or does it even matter?
    Will it work with Nintendo too? (we have XboxOne but the Nintendo Switch is so portable it goes with us lots of places.)
    Are certain games not available on the older cars? My 2016 MS did not get the Pole Position game (yet).

Other thoughts?

2. Ande

Ande Member

No reason for "older" not to handle this simple device, we had mouse and keyboard working before.
    Also, "which port" is not an issue with USB on Linux.

3. kdday

kdday Member

It does not work on mcu1 cars (pre Feb 2018) and only works on the front 2 USB ports.

I know a few have tried to hack the capability into an mcu1 car, but I don't know if it has worked. At present, only late Feb 2018 with the new mcu2 can use the controllers.

This isn't a hw2.5/2.0 issue, it's an mcu2/1 issue.

• Informative x 1
  4. jcal0820

jcal0820 ride the wave

Confirming, is it as simple as just plugging in a PS/Xbox controller through USB? No additional software/firmware necessary?

5. kdday

kdday Member

6. jcal0820

jcal0820 ride the wave

Well, tried using a PS4 controller I have w USB connection in the front; no luck, couldn't get it to work/synch. Would an off the shelf generic PC joystick work?

7. kdday

kdday Member

Do you have mcu1 or mcu2? I know a ps4 controller should work.

8. jcal0820

jcal0820 ride the wave

MCU2, took delivery in Nov 2018; is there any setup required, or supposed to be just plug & play?

9. kdday

kdday Member

Plug into front USB ports and it should just work. I can't elaborate because I have mcu1.

10. jcal0820

jcal0820 ride the wave

Also, when using the steering wheel/brakes for controls on Pole Position, and when plugged into a charger, keep getting the ‘Unable to drive’ alert on the screen. Is there a way to disable that?

11. Eevee

Eevee Member

Bummer :(

thanks for the info

12. jcal0820

jcal0820 ride the wave

Keep coming back to this topic, esp because these games are what keep me and the kids preoccupied when charging.. my ME build date was Oct 2018, so I'm assuming mine should be fully compatible with gaming controllers... The PS4 dualshock I have didn't seem to work, or this $10 PC controller I bought off Amazon. Any other advice or opinion?

13. kdday

kdday Member

Yes it should work. Are you powering your dual shock controller on before plugging it into the FRONT USB port?

14. jcal0820

jcal0820 ride the wave

Can't remember, will try again this afternoon.. supposed to turn on first then plug in? Or does the fact the controller is already 'synched' to my PlayStation at home impact the settings or connection to the car?

15. jcal0820

jcal0820 ride the wave

Got a mini PS4 controller from Gamespot for $29... Works instantly!

• Helpful x 1
  16. texasranger

texasranger Member

Sorry to bring up an old thread here, but my XBONE and PS4 controllers did not work with my 2019 Tesla Model 3, 2019 HW3. Neither did an N64 USB controller. I actually ended up using a 360 controller with a wireless receiver plugged into a USB hub to make it work.

• Informative x 1
  17. Ande

Ande Member

is the PS4 controller supposed to turn on/have some lights on ? - I tried one, nothing worked.

18. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

19. St Charles

St Charles Tesla, not TSLA!

I had a few NES/SNES USB game controllers I bought years ago for emulators. Last night I was cleaning up my office and ran across them and decided to give them a try.

To my surprise, one of them worked!

I was able to easily control almost every game available in the Model S with the exception of 2048 and Super Breakout.

amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JAU20W

20. jennyfur

jennyfur Member

What wireless receiver did you use? I just tried the official xbox 360 wireless receiver and the controller will not pair with it.