Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaTracks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few comments:

1. Bug (Android): With a new installation, the Profile/Car page currently is blank - just an endless spinning circle. I'm a new user, but was this the page that shows the amount of battery charge, the cabin temp, lock status etc? I did see it briefly, but the app spontaneously crashed. Perhaps the crash is related to the spinning circle / unrendered page.
  2. UX (Android): The back arrow on the upper left side of the setting screen is hard to tap.
  3. Privacy (real name): upon sign-up you require that folks provide their first and last name. Why do you require this of your users? It doesn't seem necessary for the functioning of the app.
  4. Privacy (authentication): You should consider allowing for your own authentication mechanism, such as login & password, beyond just Facebook or Twitter (in the Android version, I only saw Facebook as a sign-in option). Unless you want to encourage a "real names" policy w/your app, some folks may they want to associate this app with their account, if they have one.
  5. Private Trips: it's great that you have a toggle to make trips private, and a little instruction tip on how the setting works. You should be cautious about defaulting this to "on" though unless you provide clear notice to users. If you choose to default the setting to "on", then as part of the new user sign-up flow you should consider providing a short interstitial explaining that 1) the app shares trip data publicly by default, 2) they can change the option in "Settings", and 3) provide a checkbox right on the interstitial page allowing them to opt-in or out of that feature (you could leave the checkbox checked if you want).
  6. Privacy (account termination and deletion): unless all historical app data is stored on the phone, you'll want to create a mechanism by which users can cease using the app, terminate their account, and have you delete applicable personal data / personally identifiable information from your servers and/or cloud provider.
  7. Privacy (terms): Your FAQ on teslatracks.happyfuncorp.com is good start, but soon you'll want to make a privacy policy available to your users, accessible from 1) within the app and 2) from your homepage, covering the usual areas 1) what data is collected, 2) how the data is used, 3) with whom you share the data, 4) how the data is protected, 5) how users can delete that data, and 7) whom to contact with privacy questions.

Reactions: bschippers718
Hi,
Thanks for a great app, it seems to becoming along nicely.

It was my understanding that the latest release should be able to display units that are selected in the car (km/mil, °F/°C), however in mine the miles still shows up as miles and not km. The temperature seems to have switched to °C though, so that seems to work.
I have my model s to display % and not range, could that have an influence?

Hi,
Thanks for a great app, it seems to becoming along nicely.

It was my understanding that the latest release should be able to display units that are selected in the car (km/mil, °F/°C), however in mine the miles still shows up as miles and not km. The temperature seems to have switched to °C though, so that seems to work.
I have my model s to display % and not range, could that have an influence?
Great, glad you like. The issue is on our end. The next release will have the feature, I spoke too soon! My apologies. Should send it out today or tomorrow.

Thanks again for the feedback.

A few comments:

1. Bug (Android): With a new installation, the Profile/Car page currently is blank - just an endless spinning circle. I'm a new user, but was this the page that shows the amount of battery charge, the cabin temp, lock status etc? I did see it briefly, but the app spontaneously crashed. Perhaps the crash is related to the spinning circle / unrendered page.
  2. UX (Android): The back arrow on the upper left side of the setting screen is hard to tap.
  3. Privacy (real name): upon sign-up you require that folks provide their first and last name. Why do you require this of your users? It doesn't seem necessary for the functioning of the app.
  4. Privacy (authentication): You should consider allowing for your own authentication mechanism, such as login & password, beyond just Facebook or Twitter (in the Android version, I only saw Facebook as a sign-in option). Unless you want to encourage a "real names" policy w/your app, some folks may they want to associate this app with their account, if they have one.
  5. Private Trips: it's great that you have a toggle to make trips private, and a little instruction tip on how the setting works. You should be cautious about defaulting this to "on" though unless you provide clear notice to users. If you choose to default the setting to "on", then as part of the new user sign-up flow you should consider providing a short interstitial explaining that 1) the app shares trip data publicly by default, 2) they can change the option in "Settings", and 3) provide a checkbox right on the interstitial page allowing them to opt-in or out of that feature (you could leave the checkbox checked if you want).
  6. Privacy (account termination and deletion): unless all historical app data is stored on the phone, you'll want to create a mechanism by which users can cease using the app, terminate their account, and have you delete applicable personal data / personally identifiable information from your servers and/or cloud provider.
  7. Privacy (terms): Your FAQ on teslatracks.happyfuncorp.com is good start, but soon you'll want to make a privacy policy available to your users, accessible from 1) within the app and 2) from your homepage, covering the usual areas 1) what data is collected, 2) how the data is used, 3) with whom you share the data, 4) how the data is protected, 5) how users can delete that data, and 7) whom to contact with privacy questions.
Thanks for all the great feedback.

1.We will get a fix out, that should not be happening.
2.Yes, we are fixing the back button
3.This is something we are looking at. We currently like people using their real names but are considering other options
4.This is coming very soon. We are currently working on this
5.Yes. We want people to be open and share and thus are encouraging such behavior, people are responding well. In the future, we will likely have a welcome flow enabling on / off quickly. Again, great feedback.
6.Yes, this will be in a future release.
7.Yes, will be updating this.

Appreciate all the thoughtful feedback and glad you like the app. We are working on many of your suggestions, you'll see them soon.

Thanks again!

Thanks for this great app and how you develop and involve the users to development.

I have a question about how you make the API calls.

I have a very big Vampire loss and lose about 41 km/26 mi in 20 hours. It's because my car does not go to sleep mode.

What does the teslab app do or how do you make the API calls that it does not prevent the car to go to sleep or deep sleep mode?

Thanks for this great app and how you develop and involve the users to development.

I have a question about how you make the API calls.

I have a very big Vampire loss and lose about 41 km/26 mi in 20 hours. It's because my car does not go to sleep mode.

What does the teslab app do or how do you make the API calls that it does not prevent the car to go to sleep or deep sleep mode?

Hi there, we'll review the frequency of the calls and the ability to let the car sleep when it wants to. There may be something that snuck in that is preventing sleep. Thanks for calling it to our attention.

Hello! Thanks for updating the app to include metric and the earlier private data option.

A couple of other observations:
1. Time zones seem to be off. I don't recall if this was known or maybe just me. But everything for me is three hours off (I'm in PST but I think the times are EST)
2. Had a recent SW update on my MS. Went from 2.48.16 to 2.52.22. I received two badges at the same time (the one I had and the update). However, if I go to the "latest badge" section under stats, it says the latest badge is "unlocked new toy software updated to 2.48.16".
3. Also wondered about tragamin's post about API calls. "Seems" like it's a bit more active and draining a bit faster than previously.

Thanks for all the hard work on this app. Very cool.

Joseph

Hello! Thanks for updating the app to include metric and the earlier private data option.

A couple of other observations:
1. Time zones seem to be off. I don't recall if this was known or maybe just me. But everything for me is three hours off (I'm in PST but I think the times are EST)
2. Had a recent SW update on my MS. Went from 2.48.16 to 2.52.22. I received two badges at the same time (the one I had and the update). However, if I go to the "latest badge" section under stats, it says the latest badge is "unlocked new toy software updated to 2.48.16".
3. Also wondered about tragamin's post about API calls. "Seems" like it's a bit more active and draining a bit faster than previously.

Thanks for all the hard work on this app. Very cool.

Joseph

Hi Joseph, if you're looking at the time stamps in the trip details, then that isn't being localized yet. If the times are off somewhere else please let us know where.

We'll look into the repeat badges and figure out what's going on.

Reactions: nasatech
Hi everyone! Quick update.

We are doing our best to keep up with all the amazing feedback, thank you so much for sharing. Similarly, we are hoping to open the app to the next 100 or so testers in the next day or so, please stay tuned. We have quite a long list right now but hope to start opening up more aggressively next week.

If you have any questions, please feel free to post here, twitter or send us a note.

Thanks.

Reactions: FrankNL
Hi Joseph, if you're looking at the time stamps in the trip details, then that isn't being localized yet. If the times are off somewhere else please let us know where.

We'll look into the repeat badges and figure out what's going on.

Thanks tliving. That explains it. The time is wrong in everything I look at but imagine that it's all the same information so when localization is turned on, it should just fix itself. (Though, I think the part that says an event happened X hours ago seems correct). Sounds like this is known and not just me.

I also noticed that when closing a dialogue box in the app where the X is on the right side (e.g., unplugged for..., charged..., etc...) it's a little harder to close. That is, I need to be bang on accurate to close it, whereas when the X is on the left side, it closes even if my finger is close to the X. Could be fluke but something I noticed today. (Using an iPhone 6S+ on 10.2.1).

Thanks again!

Joseph

Hi there, we'll review the frequency of the calls and the ability to let the car sleep when it wants to. There may be something that snuck in that is preventing sleep. Thanks for calling it to our attention.

This is quite a big issue for me. Nice app, but range is more important to me that the stats. I'm probably not your target market anyway. What's the best way to withdraw from the beta?