Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaTrip from Seattle to LA and back for $17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Discoducky

P100DL, 2021 M3, 4 CT reservations and counting
Supporting Member
Dec 25, 2011
My mountain
TeslaTrip <--Check out the Tumblr for pic's and more details

Highlights:

• Supercharging is awesome; no surprises there
  • Charging at night at KOA's is also awesome since they allowed us to charge for free all but one time
  • We never worried about charging while driving down the coast and with an infant, even the slow J1772 didn't hinder our daily drive
  • We only had to pay 3 times for charging! Lot's of free J1772's; even though that won't last, it's really nice now!
  • I only received complements on the car from friends, family and perfect strangers. When they find out it is an American car they are only more impressed!
  • The car is amazing and I can't bear to drive or ride in anything else now. How do people deal with all those knobs, levers and buttons!
  • Driving fast in traffic is a breeze and ranges actually increases substantially as the draft, coasting and regen all add up. When traffic is flowing around 70+ at 70+ temps it increases range by about 20%. This was a very nice surprise!

Lowlights

1. Price gouging at RV resorts exist as some really don't know what to think of electric cars. One RV resort actually told me she wouldn't allow us to charge since "she didn't know what to think"...go figure!
2. Our UMC died while in Palm Desert over Easter and we had to drive to the LA service center to get a new one on our way back up to Seattle
3. Cold weather really reduces range, way more than wind, rain or heat. Nearly 30% below freezing temps
4. We absolutely had to get the back window tinted as the jump seat occupants do not have any A/C. This should be addressed in future updates.

Last edited:
Great trip blog! Gonna spend some time reading it more in detail tonight, but I did notice you were cruising through some old stomping grounds of ours between Seattle and down through Walport too (we had a cabin there on the spit, and I know that Camp ground from the 70s and 80s). Recognized much of the scenery... not to mention Palm Desert.

Looking forward to making this trip ourselves, but with SCs along the way.

Thank you for sharing. This is great.