Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaVision AutoPilot At Night - Not Ready For Prime Time!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a new MY P without radar. Driving on the freeway the past couple of nights at dusk was a harrowing experience. Several times
the car would feer left (never right) into the other lane then an alarm went off with a msg "abrupt lane change take control immediately". Scared
the crap out of me. When looking at the screen, the lines in between the car were REALLY faint, about as faint as they were on the road
given the almost no daylight left.

Not sure how they're gonna resolve this, but I'm certainly in no hurry to use Autopilot in a low light situation. In bright sun, I haven't had any issues.

Have a new MY P without radar. Driving on the freeway the past couple of nights at dusk was a harrowing experience. Several times
the car would feer left (never right) into the other lane then an alarm went off with a msg "abrupt lane change take control immediately". Scared
the crap out of me. When looking at the screen, the lines in between the car were REALLY faint, about as faint as they were on the road
given the almost no daylight left.

Not sure how they're gonna resolve this, but I'm certainly in no hurry to use Autopilot in a low light situation. In bright sun, I haven't had any issues.
Didn't know the radar could see lines. Or had eyes. Thought it was for objects. ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: Kenfucius
You're correct but from what I've read, Tesla used radar in part to gauge the surroundings of other cars to extrapolate
where on the road your car was in relation to others to narrow down where the center of the lanes are....
It has to see the lines. If it can't see it It can't extrapolate. If you've been in the FSD beta it can work a little better without the lines non freeway. And if there's no car in front of you it can't extrapolate anything because there's no radar return.

...Tesla used radar in part to gauge the surroundings of other cars to extrapolate
where on the road your car was in relation to others to narrow down where the center of the lanes are....

That's in the context of speed and obstacle detection but not lane line detection.

For example, with the picture below, in darkness without the headlights turned on at 10:15 PM, radar-equipped Autopilot/FSD would lose AutoSteer with the message "Take over Immediately" but the TACC still functions flawlessly if there's a lead car leading the way in front. With vision impaired, the instrument cluster still displayed the lead car icon without the aid of cameras because the radar is good at detecting speed and moving obstacles. Of course, without autosteer when the vision was impaired and the lane lines were not detected, I had to manually steer the Tesla but it would not rear-end the car in front in darkness as the car in front was running at 62 MPH and my TACC was set at 75 MPH.

1n5o2RK.jpg

In vision-impaired cases such as darkness with headlights off, smoke, wildfire evacuation, thick fog, heavy rain... the radar is no good for AutoSteer but it is very good for keeping speed and keeping a safe distance from the lead car in front and not rear-ending into that car.

I think LIDAR can detect lane lines because it can measure the thickness of the paint of each lane marking so it can be an alternative for lane detection when vision is not available.

When vision is not available such as when the lane lines are covered by snow, other companies would compare HD map to what it can get from all the sensors that detect landmarks such as buildings, light posts, traffic lights, trees... (LIDAR can if vision is impaired) then they can extrapolate where the covered lane markings should be.

Last edited:
Reactions: outdoors
That's in the context of speed and obstacle detection but not lane line detection.

For example, with the picture below, in darkness without the headlights turned on at 10:15 PM, radar-equipped Autopilot/FSD would lose AutoSteer with the message "Take over Immediately" but the TACC still functions flawlessly if there's a lead car leading the way in front. With vision impaired, the instrument cluster still displayed the lead car icon without the aid of cameras because the radar is good at detecting speed and moving obstacles. Of course, without autosteer when the vision was impaired and the lane lines were not detected, had to manually steer the Tesla but it would not rear-end the car in front in darkness as the car in front was running at 62 MPH and my TACC was set at 75 MPH.

1n5o2RK.jpg

In vision-impaired cases such as darkness with headlights off, smoke, wildfire evacuation, thick fog, heavy rain... the radar is no good for AutoSteer but it is very good for keeping speed and keeping a safe distance from the lead car in front and not rear-ending into that car.

I think LIDAR can detect lane lines because it can measure the thickness of the paint of each lane marking so it can be an alternative for lane detection when vision is not available.

When vision is not available such as when the lane lines are covered by snow, other companies would compare HD map to what it can get from all the sensors that detect landmarks such as buildings, light posts, traffic lights, trees (lidar can if vision is impaired) then they can extrapolate where the covered lane markings should be.

Great insight! Thanks!