Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaWaze updates (was: TeslaWaze is Done!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sent pretty much all morning, from one stop to another, and was able to use Tesla Waze. Does this mean that Eric was able to get it set up with the other map source? I hope so.

Eric, If I had any inheritance left I would put your name in my will.

Not that my assets are gone, it is just that I have divested of all my assets and passed title on to my grown kids. I now own nothing with my name on title. The Tesla and other ICE are in my wife's name. I felt it better this way if I were to meet my demise suddenly I did not want my kids to have to try and figure out what was what. As to the cash and other personal assets, my new wife can make sure that goes to my kids, same as I will do for her if something happens to her, I will make sure what she has is passed on to her kids. Except for the 2 Tesla's, the Model S we now drive and the new Model 3 we are awaiting AWD. I know I can only drive one at a time, but maybe I can have them transferred to underage grandkids so I can keep driving them until they come of age. By then they can drive me around.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Wish they would support Mirrorlink, or just Android apps natively.

this is the crux of the problem

Android can be mirrored
IOS cannot.

Therefore until Apple shift their policy (which they wont as the have the Carplay revenue stream) it's not going to happen.

Pity really as this was clearly Tesla/Elon's train of thought having (presumably) concluded that permitting 3rd party apps even sandboxed is too much of a securty risk.

this is the crux of the problem

Android can be mirrored
IOS cannot.

Therefore until Apple shift their policy (which they wont as the have the Carplay revenue stream) it's not going to happen.

Pity really as this was clearly Tesla/Elon's train of thought having (presumably) concluded that permitting 3rd party apps even sandboxed is too much of a securty risk.

Maybe I'm missing something here. I've used my iPhone with a number of apps and screen mirroring on my TV through an Amazon Firestick and Airplay - there's even a button to enable/manage it on the quick menu for the phone. Is there some reason this wouldn't work for Tesla/Waze?

screen mirroring sure, touch input is the problem afaik
Ah. Well, for Waze type apps there isn't a whole lot of touching required; screen mirroring without input might be a viable workaround though it obviously isn't the ideal solution.
It would seem that, if Tesla released full mirroring with touch input for Android, but only screen mirroring for iOS, that all of the iPhone user's would be mad at, and blame Tesla. It's a shame really...

News of Teslawaze's death was premature.... but it's now crashing my MCU :(

For the past week, browsing to Teslawaze has caused my MCU to freeze, lose all audio, then reset, dropping wifi and LTE connections. I have an Dec 2016 MCU1

It's a bit unnerving knowing a website can cause this to occur while driving

• Informative

For the past week, browsing to Teslawaze has caused my MCU to freeze, lose all audio, then reset, dropping wifi and LTE connections. I have an Dec 2016 MCU1

I had MCU freeze/crash problems with my December 2016 model S90D. I took it to the SC and they told me that my trip meters had too many miles on them. I had over 11,000 miles and I was leaving it that way so I could see my average Kwh since the car was delivered. The assistant manager and technician said that there is a known memory problem with the car where it is running out of memory and that was causing the screen to crash.

I know that there were some reports of Tesla-Waze causing an issue but I think Eric resolved that problem. Check your trip meters and it they have a lot of miles on them, reset them to zero and see if the crashes go away.

The web site from Eric was improved but he did comment that the new version of the browser also had some new bugs, in particular to handle moving the map if memory serves.
So I just don’t do that and if I want to see further away what’s coming, I only zoom out. Or use the same web on my mobile, where it does not crash.
No more crashes. Or did the version 21.9 help? Maybe Eric can confirm.

I had MCU freeze/crash problems with my December 2016 model S90D. I took it to the SC and they told me that my trip meters had too many miles on them. I had over 11,000 miles and I was leaving it that way so I could see my average Kwh since the car was delivered. The assistant manager and technician said that there is a known memory problem with the car where it is running out of memory and that was causing the screen to crash.

I know that there were some reports of Tesla-Waze causing an issue but I think Eric resolved that problem. Check your trip meters and it they have a lot of miles on them, reset them to zero and see if the crashes go away.

Maybe resetting those meters help, don’t know but fwiw I also have left one running since we have the car, so 3+ years and 80k+ miles.

Anyway, I avoid panning and app works great without crashing the mcu

Ok, so MCU froze in the garage with Teslawaze up, I reset the unit, and it came back in this weird state in which the dash said "car off", MCU unresponsive, wouldn't sense the fob, but radio & climate both on. Other websites where working OK before freezing.

After doing another reset, going to another website (star field), cleared one trip meter, did another reset, it is now working :)... panning doesn't seem to cause any problems. Probably a memory issue.

Btw, thanks for keeping this up Eric, I use it everyday

I had MCU freeze/crash problems with my December 2016 model S90D. I took it to the SC and they told me that my trip meters had too many miles on them. I had over 11,000 miles and I was leaving it that way so I could see my average Kwh since the car was delivered. The assistant manager and technician said that there is a known memory problem with the car where it is running out of memory and that was causing the screen to crash...
@S85D , my rant on this isn't directed at you, as you are the messenger. It's directed at the lemmings at the Service Centers...

This is the absolute biggest load of crap anyone has ever tried to dish out. I had my Service Center team say the same thing to me, back over a year ago when I was having MCU crash issues.

For starters, there are tons of Tesla owners (including myself) who have done the exact same thing; leave one Trip Counter as your lifetime counter.

First off, we wouldn't even need to do this if they would display our lifetime kWh and Wh/mi on the trip screen with the odometer.

Secondly, it takes a whole whopping 2 bytes of memory to store my current trip mileage of 50,126 miles. Granted, it takes another 2 bytes of data to store my kWh of 18,228. There's no need to store the Wh/mi, because it's just a calculation. They aren't storing gobs of telemetry to display this data. They increment the mileage as you move, and increment the kWh as you draw energy, and then calculate the Wh/mi with simple division.

Someone, somewhere, either seriously misunderstood someone else, or they were completely blowing smoke up someone else's arse, and then the grape vine propagated, with no one to stop and question it, or no one with enough knowledge to understand the absurdity of it.

Surprisingly, my MCU crash issues went away after a firmware upgrade. But don't get too excited, it came back again a few revisions later with a different firmware upgrade.

@S85D , my rant on this isn't directed at you, as you are the messenger. It's directed at the lemmings at the Service Centers...

This is the absolute biggest load of crap anyone has ever tried to dish out. I had my Service Center team say the same thing to me, back over a year ago when I was having MCU crash issues.

For starters, there are tons of Tesla owners (including myself) who have done the exact same thing; leave one Trip Counter as your lifetime counter.
You read my mind, I told the SC the same thing, that I do not think it is a memory problem. It could be an AP2/AP2.5 issue since I had an AP1 S85D and left a trip meter counting up to 16,000 miles before I traded it in. I did not have an issue with the AP1 car but, there have been a lot of firmware/browser/Tesla Waze updates since then.

I was not happy when I arrived at the SC because they had already reset the trip counter to zero. I only mentioned it in case it fixed the issue for a few people. If it is a memory problem, Tesla needs to fix it.

great job Eric, and thank you.

Works really well, the only thing I could nit about is that speed cameras seem to register even if they are on the other side of the road. Other than that, the mapbox integration works really well and puts Tesla to shame as they cant even get the traffic updating right in recent versions which just makes this tool more invaluable then ever.