TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

TeslaWaze updates (was: TeslaWaze is Done!)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by All Charged Up, May 16, 2018.

1. All Charged Up

Just got a notification on my screen that TeslaWaze is discontinuing this service. I will miss it very much!
    "Thanks a lot Scroogle"

Attached Files:

• Informative x 4
  2. Corsair

Corsair Member

3. UBQP

UBQP Member

Waze on Tesla is such a good idea and has been very helpful (albeit slow). I am under the impression that Tesla was developing a Waze-like app, but don't remember why I think this.

4. All Charged Up

I would gladly pay a reasonable subscription fee to TeslaWaze to keep this site going. It's a valuable service to me and I'd have no problem paying for it.

• Like x 2
  5. Bridor

Bridor Member

Zut alors!!! Time to start driving five miles over the speed limit...

Brent

6. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

A Tesla "waze like app" is worthless. We need Waze with its 50 million users.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  7. jjchan

jjchan Member

Tesla waze is not all that helpful. Last May (2017) I got pulled over for 12 over limit (72 in a 60 zone). Teslawaze did not show the cop's presence.

• Disagree x 4
    • Funny x 3
  8. Graffi

Graffi Member

I hope you reported it so the next person using Waze got the warning. This is how Waze works, it is user updated.

• Like x 10
    • Helpful x 2
  9. jjchan

jjchan Member

I did. Put it on using my iphone, but with the blue & red lights visible for miles, I think the entire OH-32 was alerted :(

• Funny x 3
  10. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Waze in general has gone downhill and is not particularly useful anymore. I started using it 6 years ago and used it religiously up until last year. Around 2014-15 it was awesome, few false alerts, the traffic was perfect and all the speed traps were labeled. Since then though its slowly degenerated and now there are so many false alerts and many missed alerts. I'll still check it for alternate routes if I don't like the default that Tesla has chosen. I took a long trip this weekend and a few different times when I checked between the route that Tesla gave and the3 routes that Waze gave I actually preferred the Tesla one. Tesla's route was frequently a minute or two longer, but fewer miles sometimes substantially fewer miles.

I would love it if Tesla gave you options for the routes, however the Waze alerts aren't worthwhile anymore.

11. Magomboman

Magomboman Supporting Member

That's pretty interesting. I think depending on your location and how many Waze users in that area your information can vary. Fortunately in my area the Waze app is useful. I know it saved me from at least 5 tickets. It might not be perfect but its better than tickets even if you have to alow down occasionally for false alerts.;)

• Like x 2
  12. Need

Need Active Member

I have the opposite experience. Waze just gets better and better every year. The alerts cannot be more accurate. I have yet to see a cop by the side of the road or freeway that is NOT reported already on Waze. Yeah there are some false ones or just old, but it's really not that often. I don't really care too much about the cops, as I drive like an old man. But "object on the road" is really important to me especially driving in the dark.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  13. TexasTeslaRacing

I use this everyday. Sad to see it go!

• Love x 1
  14. FloridaGary

FloridaGary Member

I only bluetooth the app from my phone for alerts. It's more accurate.

15. Langhorne

Langhorne Member

Nooooooooooooo!! I use it quite regularly too. I used it on my way to work this morning and didn't see that popup.

• Love x 1
  16. cwave1

cwave1 Member

I saw this yesterday as well. This is what was on my upper screen most of the time so I'll definitely miss it.

Hopefully a replacement can be created or Google can be influenced to leave it as-is for free.

• Like x 1
  17. Fezzik

Fezzik P100D, M3LR

A very sad day. I use this all the time. :( I'd have paid for a subscription of this.

• Love x 1
  18. S-19910

S-19910 Driving Model-S #19910

hopefully they will adapt to OpenStreetMap. Would be a pity to see them disappear.

• Like x 2
  19. rw99

rw99 Member

Well, fack :(

• Like x 1
  20. davecolene0606

First of all KUDOS:):) to the developer of Waze for Tesla! It has been a very handy tool and I am super disappointed that Google is killing it!

Once again, thanx so much to the developer, you are talented and your efforts have benefited many Tesla owners.

Wish there was a way to support your efforts.

Fire Away!

• Like x 3