Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaWaze updates (was: TeslaWaze is Done!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, when you bring up the Energy app and leave it onscreen for a minute, the browser cache gets flushed and any contents reloaded once you bring the browser up again.

If you start the sketch pad it will speed up the browser.

Could you clarify what you meant by starting the sketchpad and how it speeds up the browser?

I wish when you switch out of the browser it just freezes the browser instance so you can resume where you left off.

I must admit that i was quite enthousiast after the recent updates a while back that seemed to bring back life to the browser in the Mcu1.
I again stopped using it. It works well right after a reboot but after a day or two, even if not used, it freezes completely. Allow to enter whatever in the address bar, but does not do anything. Pity.

I was able to enter the address and use the navigation on my AP1 car running old firmware

I must admit that i was quite enthousiast after the recent updates a while back that seemed to bring back life to the browser in the Mcu1.
I again stopped using it. It works well right after a reboot but after a day or two, even if not used, it freezes completely. Allow to enter whatever in the address bar, but does not do anything. Pity.

Try tapping the browser button down on the launcher bar, waiting a few seconds, then tap on the browser again. Then navigate to Google.com, then search for Tesla Waze, then click on the result and navigate into the site fresh

I tried this and it hangs with www.google.com in the URL bar. After waiting for a while I reset the MCU and when it came back up, teslawaze with in the URL bar not google.com. Not sure if that's telling.

I was having the same experience but now a reboot doesn't help. Is there any way to force the browser to reset everything? It seems to be hanging on to teslawaze which was the last thing the worked. Typing anything in has no affect.

It sounds like Tesla may have introduced a bug on MCU1 cars at some point because I'm not running into this on my new car with MCU2.
Try this:
Ensure your car is NOT connected to WiFi and will not attempt to reconnect to any WiFi after a reboot. If you need help with that, let us know but the easiest thing to do is just drive far enough away from any WiFi APs your car might want to connect to...
1) perform Scroll wheel reboot of system
2) WAIT for system to come up completely, making note that you have 3G or LTE connectivity (status in upper right corner of main screen).
3) once connectivity is confirmed, tap the browser to bring it up if not already up.
4) navigate to google.com. Wait for site to load.
5) after Google is loaded, type "Tesla Waze" and tap search
6) tap on the first result. Note: the actual url should be Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information
7) depending on your connection speed, after a moment you should be prompted to ACCEPT the site's request to know your location. Click ACCEPT.
8) Depending on your connection speed, wait a few moments and the site should load.

If this doesn't work, you can click on the browser button down in the app tray again. This should minimize the browser and could bring up music or another app. The purpose in doing this is to get the browser out of memory. Wait a moment, then tap the browser button again and retry steps 3-8 above.
*The reason I'm having you Google search and navigate into the site that way is if you're using the old URL from an old bookmark it might not be redirecting you correctly to the new site

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Could you clarify what you meant by starting the sketchpad and how it speeds up the browser?

I wish when you switch out of the browser it just freezes the browser instance so you can resume where you left off.

If you first start the scetchpad, the MCU stops rendering the navigation on the whole screen. If you then start the browser on top of the scetchpad, it will get more, if not all, processing power and will be more responsive.

Bringing on the energy app also seems to clear a browser buffer, most of the time it causes the browser to reload the current page.

Overall the browser is a real pain in the backside... pity because it promised a healthy development of add-ons like ABRP by enthousiasts.

If you first start the scetchpad, the MCU stops rendering the navigation on the whole screen. If you then start the browser on top of the scetchpad, it will get more, if not all, processing power and will be more responsive.

Bringing on the energy app also seems to clear a browser buffer, most of the time it causes the browser to reload the current page.

Overall the browser is a real pain in the backside... pity because it promised a healthy development of add-ons like ABRP by enthousiasts.

Have you seen any improvement since Chromium browser was installed?

It sounds like Tesla may have introduced a bug on MCU1 cars at some point because I'm not running into this on my new car with MCU2.
Try this:
Ensure your car is NOT connected to WiFi and will not attempt to reconnect to any WiFi after a reboot. If you need help with that, let us know but the easiest thing to do is just drive far enough away from any WiFi APs your car might want to connect to...
1) perform Scroll wheel reboot of system
2) WAIT for system to come up completely, making note that you have 3G or LTE connectivity (status in upper right corner of main screen).
3) once connectivity is confirmed, tap the browser to bring it up if not already up.
4) navigate to google.com. Wait for site to load.
5) after Google is loaded, type "Tesla Waze" and tap search
6) tap on the first result. Note: the actual url should be Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information
7) depending on your connection speed, after a moment you should be prompted to ACCEPT the site's request to know your location. Click ACCEPT.
8) Depending on your connection speed, wait a few moments and the site should load.

If this doesn't work, you can click on the browser button down in the app tray again. This should minimize the browser and could bring up music or another app. The purpose in doing this is to get the browser out of memory. Wait a moment, then tap the browser button again and retry steps 3-8 above.
*The reason I'm having you Google search and navigate into the site that way is if you're using the old URL from an old bookmark it might not be redirecting you correctly to the new site

Thanks for the suggestions and sorry for the delay.

I started with the navigator stopped (canceled) and the browser closed.
After step 1, the navigator started up with a previous route and I hit cancel. No LET yet.
At Step 2 I hang out until l've got good LTE signal.
At step 3 the browser URL bar is already populated with teslawaze. (note the icon on the end of the URL bar is reload, not X) and the screen is blank.
At step 4 I type in www.google.com
Nothing happens.

It's acting like it has a saved state I can't clear. I can type in www.google.com, do a reset and teslawaze is back after reboot.

Any other ideas?

thanks,
Steve

My browsers the same now. AP2.5 CPU1.
I used to know all the tricks to get it to reload/refresh but there’s definitely a new bug been introduced lately as it’s damn near impossible to get it to load anything. Reboots don’t help.

My browsers the same now. AP2.5 CPU1.
I used to know all the tricks to get it to reload/refresh but there’s definitely a new bug been introduced lately as it’s damn near impossible to get it to load anything. Reboots don’t help.

As it was mentioned above try navigating to the site again directly.
Don't refresh whats currently on your browser or use your old bookmarks for the site, as that is likely causing the issue.

• Informative
Another tip for you guys...

when you scroll wheel reset / reboot the center display, Don't let go until you see the T logo on the display. Multiple systems need to restart and if you let go before you see the T logo on the center display not everything has restarted.

Last edited:
  • Informative
I’ve about given up on the browser having any usefulness. But I will say the only thing that makes it work at all, is doing what another member suggested.
Open the energy app for a few seconds and then close it and open sketchpad.
THEN open the browser and begin to type as usual.
For whatever reason this seems to work every time. Someone in here suggested it is clearing the cache and memory buffer.
Makes sense.

But in the end it’s too cumbersome a process each time for me to be considered useful.
Sigh ........

Another tip for you guys...

when you scroll wheel reset / reboot the center display, Don't let go until you see the T logo on the display. Multiple systems need to restart and if you let go before you see the T logo on the center display not everything has restarted.
I’ll try that in the morning. Is that related to the reset where you hold the brake pedal as well?