Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaWaze updates (was: TeslaWaze is Done!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair, Goggle spent a huge amount of money to get to the point where they are with their maps and traffic data and everything connected with it. That's how you build a successful business. You invest in a product, develop it and then when it's awesome you can start charging money for it. I don't think Google can be blamed for being a business. The problem is really Tesla not supporting Apply carplay or Android Auto (or whatever they are called). Or some sort of screen mirroring from a phone. There is also another option that allows interacting with a phone though a web service (can't recall the name right now, something like WebApp?). Tesla has made zero progress for any kind of phone integration. That's the real issue. Not Google, not Waze. If Tesla would just allow screen casting from a phone we would be 90% happy :)

I never understood the business model of TeslaWaze. No advertising income. No subscription fees. I guess it really wasn't a business at all. Sounded more like a hobby project by a very talented Tesla owner. It was very well done.

I wonder how many of us on this forum would be willing to offer a small subscription fee to the developer to make it worth his while so that he can pay Google their fee, make a few bucks for him/her self, and keep the site running. I know I would.

I never understood the business model of TeslaWaze. No advertising income. No subscription fees. I guess it really wasn't a business at all. Sounded more like a hobby project by a very talented Tesla owner. It was very well done.

I wonder how many of us on this forum would be willing to offer a small subscription fee to the developer to make it worth his while so that he can pay Google their fee, make a few bucks for him/her self, and keep the site running. I know I would.

I for one would pay, I use it everyday and have for over a year and it has saved my butt numerous times.. With the recent GUI update its faster and tracks much quicker now. I’ll be disappointed if we can’t figure out something around subscription on this.

I did see a post with the new pricing for using google maps, but had no idea how to calculate the cost, I guess the developer would need to weigh in based on traffic he sees and what this would cost. Again, I for one am willing to pay for this.

• Love
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Eric, I used your Tesla Waze app today and noticed that you put a message up saying what we all know, that Tesla Waze will not be available starting in June.

Please consider rewriting your app using Open Street Maps There are thousands of us that would subscribe to your excellent application. You could not only cover your expenses but actually make a profit on all of your hard work.

We all appreciate all that you have done for us!

Awwwwwww man, what are the odds I read this and then visit Cnet and see:

Now, if you own a Sync 3-equipped Ford vehicle, you'll be able to use Waze right on the car's infotainment screen. Just plug your phone into the car's USB port and access Waze via the AppLink software. You can control the app via your car's voice commands, and hear navigation and traffic information through the vehicle's speakers.

:) :)

Just got a notification on my screen that TeslaWaze is discontinuing this service. I will miss it very much!
"Thanks a lot Scroogle"

If the Developer of Teslawaze is listening tell him I am a developer as well and I drive a Model S and use the Teslawaze webapp. I program the MAPS you see on WallStreet. I hate Google as much as everyone else. I personally know the CEO of CartoDB and Mapbox. We can switch the maps from Google to Mapbox/CartoDB. I am very sure that Tesla mapping is already using Mapbox.

Here is my LinkedIn profile for him.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/erikanderson/

Please lets connect and keep the TeslaWaze working.

If the Developer of Teslawaze is listening tell him I am a developer as well and I drive a Model S and use the Teslawaze webapp. I program the MAPS you see on WallStreet. I hate Google as much as everyone else. I personally know the CEO of CartoDB and Mapbox. We can switch the maps from Google to Mapbox/CartoDB. I am very sure that Tesla mapping is already using Mapbox.

The developer @ericwol does not seem to be on this thread, but he made the announcement on this other thread:

View Waze Incidents on the Tesla browser

@ericwol Eric, this is Erik. See my above post. I use your app all the time and I am happy to find solutions. My email is
eanders at pobox dot com

I never understood the business model of TeslaWaze. No advertising income. No subscription fees.

From what I have read and remember (so may be unreliable!) the author works for Microsoft, and as a perk of employment has free access to hosting and database services, and built this for himself and then made it available to others. Also that changing to a paid-for model would not cover the expected Google cost (i.e. number of data requests / costs is high)

I suspect Author may very well not want to charge - a paid-for service, even if not for you and I, brings with it a service level expectation, and maybe additional hassle with retaining Accountant for Taxes and so on. OTOH he could be a "Millionaire-by-Christmas" (tm) :)

The author is active in View Waze Incidents on the Tesla browser

To be fair, Goggle spent a huge amount of money to get to the point where they are with their maps and traffic data and everything connected with it. That's how you build a successful business. You invest in a product, develop it and then when it's awesome you can start charging money for it. I don't think Google can be blamed for being a business. The problem is really Tesla not supporting Apply carplay or Android Auto (or whatever they are called). Or some sort of screen mirroring from a phone. There is also another option that allows interacting with a phone though a web service (can't recall the name right now, something like WebApp?). Tesla has made zero progress for any kind of phone integration. That's the real issue. Not Google, not Waze. If Tesla would just allow screen casting from a phone we would be 90% happy :)
I would generally agree with this except for the fact that Google like many other big companies have had massive amounts of help from big gov, and not for altruistic reasons... Big gov likes to help companies that have a lot of our data in return for access to that data.

• Informative
Reactions: David99

I honestly don't see why this is even a question.. he sunk all that time in, why not convert it to a pay model? I'm baffled.

I honestly don't see why this is even a question.. he sunk all that time in, why not convert it to a pay model? I'm baffled.
Because:
  1. I don't have the time or want to spend the time to turn this into a business.
  2. II don't want to give ANY money to Google. Period. I feel that they are trying to hold you hostage by extorting high fees and only give you 30 days’ notice before they start charging. I can't believe how much of a monster Google has become. They are charging 100x the closest competitors, for basically selling what they get from the government for free. Yes, I understand it. I read their last quarterly report. Google is making no money other than their Ad platform and I'm sure it come down from the top that other divisions need to generate profitable revenue.
With that said, I'm in the processing to moving to OpenStreetMaps. My eyes are now open, now that I'm forced to look at the alternatives out there. I realize now how bad of a platform Google Maps is. They have literally have dumped no money into it over the last couple of years. I'm happy to say good by to their propitiatory platform.

Because:
  1. I don't have the time or want to spend the time to turn this into a business.
  2. II don't want to give ANY money to Google. Period. I feel that they are trying to hold you hostage by extorting high fees and only give you 30 days’ notice before they start charging. I can't believe how much of a monster Google has become. They are charging 100x the closest competitors, for basically selling what they get from the government for free. Yes, I understand it. I read their last quarterly report. Google is making no money other than their Ad platform and I'm sure it come down from the top that other divisions need to generate profitable revenue.
With that said, I'm in the processing to moving to OpenStreetMaps. My eyes are now open, now that I'm forced to look at the alternatives out there. I realize now how bad of a platform Google Maps is. They have literally have dumped no money into it over the last couple of years. I'm happy to say good by to their propitiatory platform.

Eric,
You have developed a great product that so many Tesla owners have benefited from without any financial support from the users of TeslaWaze.

I do understand your hate-on for Google and l'm thrilled that you are reinventing the website with OpenStreetMaps. For me, the real value of Waze is the enormous community of users who report road conditions and police activity. I hope that OpenStreetMaps will have the same amount of user reported data. Not sure how that works.

We can't wait to see what you come up with! Thanks again for all of your time and effort in creating this great Tesla driving tool.

Reactions: KArnold
You forgot to add the disclaimer, /
Tesla waze is not all that helpful. Last May (2017) I got pulled over for 12 over limit (72 in a 60 zone). Teslawaze did not show the cop's presence.
Tesla Waze is taking data from the Waze app and displaying it on the Tesla Waze app. If a cop comes on the highway and a Waze user does not show where the cop is, the cop location is not shown on Tesla Waze. Tesla Waze is only as accurate as Waze when it is updated by the Waze community.

I use it all the time and use a Valentine One radar detector as a backup. It is an excellent app.

Reactions: .jg. and FlatSix911
@S85D Agree with all you said. I really didn't mean to imply TeslaWaze is not useful, I guess I was just relating a cautionary tale but in my hast in posting the response, it came out as I was disparaging the site. I still have it occupy one half of my screen, and when I see SOMETHING :D in my drive that needs posting, I would do so on Waze in my iPhone. BTW, just checked the beta version of TeslaWaze & it seems to be working well. Thanks to the author.