Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaWaze updates (was: TeslaWaze is Done!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a more detailed technical explanation of why the location data has poor resolution from the Teslawaze developer.

Yea, unfortunately this is still busted. They no longer pass thru the heading information.
Also the lat/lng resolution is limited to only 3 decimal points. This causes the car icon (direction) to jump around, especially in the horizontal position.
Yes you can cross post. Below is the issue. You can see the lng is only accurate to three decimal places. That is between 250-500ft of accuracy lost, which is about the size of a city block. They also use to give heading info, and now that is also not provided.
1645142989403.png

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: QUBO and AustinP
I used waze for a full hour today. I got an occasional location error, and the arrow definitely wiggled around a bit. When leaving the browser and coming back, I occasionally got a black screen, for which a refresh did NOT work. Going to a different website then back to Waze fixed it. All no-big-deal issues. Overall, I am very happy to have this back

Posted this in the other thread of Waze (View Waze Incidents on the Tesla browser), but here as well for those not following it:

Jumped from 2022.8.3 to 2022.12.3.1 and this update installed a new version of the browser, which adds a few nice things like permanently allowing web site access to the location. Finally!
I have not driven the car, so can't comment on how Tesla Waze works (or not) while driving.

Two 1h drives today and the experience was that the browser will crash even more than it did before when using Tesla Waze.
On a positive note it starts faster, does indeed not ask authorization for the location anymore, which on its own is a relief.
But it will crash on my car after 5’ or so.
@ericwol did tell about the instability in the other thread and I can only agree.

Same issue with my browser crashing after a bit of using Waze. What I’ve started doing - and I haven’t used it enough to fully be sure it resolves the issue, but I haven’t had it crash since I started doing this - is manually zoom the map so that my house is at one edge of the screen and my approximate destination is at the other edge of the screen (basically as zoomed in as I can be and still see starting ending locations) which stops Waze from moving the map to track my car location. I’m hoping by loading less map data the browser is less likely to crash.

• Helpful
Reactions: beachmiles and QUBO
Same issue with my browser crashing after a bit of using Waze. What I’ve started doing - and I haven’t used it enough to fully be sure it resolves the issue, but I haven’t had it crash since I started doing this - is manually zoom the map so that my house is at one edge of the screen and my approximate destination is at the other edge of the screen (basically as zoomed in as I can be and still see starting ending locations) which stops Waze from moving the map to track my car location. I’m hoping by loading less map data the browser is less likely to crash.
The crash in TeslaWaze always occurs for me when TW does a complete refresh of the screen. I wonder if it's not a bug in the Tesla browser, but rather TW is exceeding the bitrate allowed by Tesla while driving. The author of TeslAA, the web interface for Android Auto, had to recently reduce its data download rate to prevent the app from failing while driving.

He's right, it is pretty bad.......but I dont think most people even use it all that much. When I first got my S, i tried using it, but it never really was very useful. I dont think Tesla ever really intended to have people use it for the purposes like someone would an ipad. The screen is good for what is useful, maps, entertaiment from time to time like Netflix etc., but never browsing, easier to use my iphone.

The Tesla browser is the freeware Chromium for Linux. It is the same base code that Google uses for Chrome.

It is a weak implementation because Tesla has never used the most recent version of Chromium (which is constantly updated) and Tesla adds code to the base browser. It doesn't help that the bitrate for downloads is capped while the car is in motion.

Reactions: beachmiles
I agree that most people don't use the Tesla Web Browse for general browsing, but there are some apps, such as TeslaWaze or severe weather that could be better. I do not recommend browsing via phone (or the car) while driving -- too distracting.

I'm on 2022.40.4, but since 2022.36.x, if I have Nav & TeslaWaze running, after a while (5-15min), my MCU2 will completely crash & reboot. Both screens black indeed.
Before 36.x, only the browser would crash & reopen "blank"

Anyone else noticed this too?

I'm on 2022.40.4, but since 2022.36.x, if I have Nav & TeslaWaze running, after a while (5-15min), my MCU2 will completely crash & reboot. Both screens black indeed.
Before 36.x, only the browser would crash & reopen "blank"

Anyone else noticed this too?
I also saw that crash/reboot in 2022.36.6, but the reboot part was fixed (at least for me) in 2022.40.4. The browser itself still does crash after 10-20 minutes though.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinP